Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Data Logs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Data Logs

Ok since not many of you seemed to pick up on the DL1 thread and the rest of the data is somewhat scattered here is my collected logs from a DE/practice session. First race conditions are this weekend. This was the final session on Sunday 6/1 at a PCA DE in traffic so it isn't meant for lap times as much as the other interesting stuff, break-in, first time on Road Atl, first time in a MT since Oct 2012.

Relevant mods are:

Gasket'd AMS Oil pan
Kiggly HLA
Amsoil 15x50 DOM
ST3 starter tune ~ 339hp
Stock block, stock head (new/rebuilt)
AST 5200's EvoD spec'd (also new)
Of course AP racing up front with DSUNO's (loud but omg work)

First up - Oil Temp and Water temp. Most of you know my thread on documenting what works, here's further proof. The spike in water is coming in HOT to the pits for tire temps and shutting off the fan so I could hear clearly.

Next up is Oil pressure and RPM, the dip is related to RPM which you'll see:

Then speed/Acel:

Last edited by Balrok; Jun 8, 2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 09:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Good stuff. Thanks for sharing this.

I'm not familiar with the DL-1 software. What's the significance of the large red dots?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Not for sure but I think it's to do with the simulated/predictive "where it could have been" logic that it puts out by default. It fairly complex so it's one of those deals where I work with computers for a living all day then come home and look at trying to figure it out and go...um...brain mush .
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:22 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good. Thanks for sharing
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the dots are sectors usually.

what tires were you running? oil pressure looked good through the run but the lateral Gees arent crazy so i assume like a street tire or old R6s?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I was mulling over what data logger to get and I am now leaning towards the DL1 MK3.

Notably:
ECU OBDII can be brought into it
can hook up an appropriately priced dash later
can get 12 Analog Inputs

questions:
How easy is it to program?
How well does the lap timer work?
Is the 20Hz GPS upgrade worth the price?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD

what tires were you running? oil pressure looked good through the run but the lateral Gees arent crazy so i assume like a street tire or old R6s?
Ya 2.5 year old R6's, not pushing it really cause a lot of older 911's were on in the same session, plus point by's required, plus didn't want to break anything major before this race weekend.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nollij
I was mulling over what data logger to get and I am now leaning towards the DL1 MK3.

Notably:
ECU OBDII can be brought into it
can hook up an appropriately priced dash later
can get 12 Analog Inputs

questions:
How easy is it to program?
How well does the lap timer work?
Is the 20Hz GPS upgrade worth the price?
Same one I got. So far I haven't found any issues with 5hz but i've only had one weekend with it. I got the OBD2 but I didn't get what data I wanted as easily as I could have just running the already exposed cables directly to the unit so I returned it and went analog for: Throttle Position, RPM, Water Temp, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure (the 3 all RT sensors), then I'm attempting to find the equation for the Zeitronix Boost and AFR for the RTMK3. (KEVIN if you got those PM them to me or paste them here for everyone). I've gotten close but just not too right yet. I've got a DASH3 full which works well too, however the only complaint I'd have is it doesn't automatically know what track your at and set start/finish, you have to do that with a programmable button for display or set it on the software after you download it.

It's technically 8 analog, 7 if you include a display with start/stop logging like I have. The additional 4 is an upgrade, as is the GoPro export license so if you want to overlay video that's extra. So for me it was the MK3, Dash3 full, Oil Temp sensor, Oil Pressure sensor, Water temp sensor. With 4 custom displays I did myself for everything as will as the wiring. I haven't messed with the Video much because there's still so much data to go over so I dunno if I'll get the Vid license. Also be warned it uses 22 gauge wire for the sensors which I couldn't find locally so I had to rig some stuff. The wires that come with their sensors are no joke - heat shrink, shielded, soldered tips, and water tight connectors. Makes for interesting modification if you don't get the right length.

After all that however, it's like "what do you want to log today" cause my god it's got a lot going on. If I were only interested in G's, brake, go, and Time i'd go the SmartyCam route with a Solo display. However if you want any other sensors and you're analytical the RT is hard to beat.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD

Curious, what are you seeing for sustained lateral G's on some of your cars?