Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Solo: ASP Gets one Back!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SCCA Solo: ASP Gets one Back!

(Introductory post)

While Street Prepared numbers may be on the decline, at least ASP gets one back! My name is Justin and I'll be campaigning a 2003 Evo VIII. Right now the plan is the DC, Wilmington, and Toledo ProSolos; NJ, Devens, and Wilmington Tours; and obviously ProSolo Finale and Nationals. My Nationals background (if anyone cares) - the last 2 years codriving with Nick Barbato in a B-Stock S2000CR, my own STR MX5 in 2011, and an STU STi for the 2 years before that. So I've been around, just not on anyone's radar (solidly midpack ).

For anyone who's been around, the car is John Winchester's old Evo. For those who aren't familiar, John took 2nd in then-BSP at Nationals in 2008 when it was still back in Topeka. He's basically retired from autocross now, being a good father or something like that. So I've relinquished (bought) the Evo from him. The good thing is he did a lot of the "heavy" work on the car (Evo IX motor+turbo swap, diffs, suspension, bushings). I'll still be doing some things just to bring the car back up to snuff.

At the moment I'll be running a staggered 18x10/18x9.5 wheel setup but ultimately going 18x10.5 all around. Most likely I'll run the Enkei NT03+M which should "fit" with some generous fender massaging, appropriate spacers, shorty 6" springs, and alignment/ride height tweaks. Anything I'm missing? I'm pretty sure the Berry's run this setup.

The car will be street driven to/from events so unfortunately that means some degree of compromise. This includes E85 which is limited in the northeast, so I'll be down on power relative to some of you guys. I may look into a throttle body/ITB setup if it helps at all.

Later in the season after I have some seat time under my belt I'll be doing aero (benefits are debatable, I know), lightweight exhaust, and lightweight 2-piece rotors (GiroDisc unless I find a better alternative).

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and I look forward to meeting you Evo veterans throughout the season.

Cheers!
Justin
New England Region
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
Welcome! FWIW, there's E85 sort of near Fedex for the DC Pro, in Laurel. I never did get around to test-tubing it though. I ended up deciding 100 octane was good enough since I am stuck w/ stock injectors.
http://www.e85locator.net/State%20Pa...locations.html

You need another "warning, car kicks rocks on launch" sticker I guess
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi Justin,

Would like to see you end up fitting 10.5. In that case, I may have to follow suit to stay behind your bumper, or in front.

Looking forward to see another Evo, would be a good season.

Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Vikingmoose
At the moment I'll be running a staggered 18x10/18x9.5 wheel setup but ultimately going 18x10.5 all around. Most likely I'll run the Enkei NT03+M which should "fit" with some generous fender massaging, appropriate spacers, shorty 6" springs, and alignment/ride height tweaks. Anything I'm missing? I'm pretty sure the Berry's run this setup.
I run the 10.5 NT03s as well and the only other thing you'll probably have to do is relocate the bumper bolt in the rear.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RJones
I run the 10.5 NT03s as well and the only other thing you'll probably have to do is relocate the bumper bolt in the rear.
Did you hack up the fenders to fit them or flares?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 08:08 AM

The Berry/Grice machine looks like it has some serious pulling, but no flares. I may try to do some flares/over fenders just so it doesn't look like crap.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Butt Dyno
Welcome! FWIW, there's E85 sort of near Fedex for the DC Pro, in Laurel. I never did get around to test-tubing it though. I ended up deciding 100 octane was good enough since I am stuck w/ stock injectors.
http://www.e85locator.net/State%20Pa...locations.html

You need another "warning, car kicks rocks on launch" sticker I guess
hahaha! Yeah, I really miss that sticker.

Thanks for the link. Though, I know you can get E85 on the Mass Pike but it doesn't show up on their list for MA.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Hey Justin, welcome to the party.

I'm glad to see someone dragging John's car back out. I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

E85 is the easy button for power but if you spend a bunch of money on C16 you can make basically the same power. VP also sells E85 in cans now, and with the drain bolt in the bottom of the tank it would be easy to switch fuels for the big events.

don't under estimate the amount of work it takes to fit the 10.5 nto3's. you basically need a porta power and/or hours of banging away with a hammer to stretch the fenders enough and a fair amount of time trimming the rear bumper. It will not look pretty unless you're an expert body man. 10" wheels fit much easier in the rear.

make sure you take it easy on the pro launches (basically no clutch dumping) or your front diff/tcase will not like you. The factory front diff is particularly fragile.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
hahaha! Yeah, I really miss that sticker.

Thanks for the link. Though, I know you can get E85 on the Mass Pike but it doesn't show up on their list for MA.
There are actually a decent amount of stations in MA that have developed over the last couple of years so if Devens is the only location that is stopping you from making the switch then I wouldn't worry about it.

The Mass Pike has 3 that I know of westbound in Westborough, and 2 in Charlton (eastbound/ westbound). One thing however is that that I've been hassled trying to fill up VP jugs on the pike many times.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Doubt I'll be around much if any in ASP this year. But good luck. Tis a fun car in a fun class.

P.S. A bored TB will help some. The stock IM is actually very efficient and very light. Going to ITB's would not be worth it.

Also, IMHO. If I were doing it over. I would just run 10's in the front 9.5's in the rear. Hoosier A6's. Like Marshall said, getting the 10.5's especially in RPF1 flavor to fit is quite a chore.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 01:17 PM

Any plans on running some events in Stratford? I went to an event last year down there and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

What aero mods are you thinking of? My OEM plastic skid plate has been removed due to damage and I was thinking of going with a buscher or similar design.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the tips/input everyone - much appreciated!

I haven't completely committed to the 10.5's yet as I have bigger fish to fry. When/if I get bored with everything else I may try. Or just go the "easy" route and 10.5 up front and 10 in the rear. I already have 10's for the front and 9.5's for the rear to get me through the first part of the season.

griceiv - Good to know about getting E85 in cans and drain plug; that may open up some options for National events (local I'll just stick with 93oct, thank you very much).

heel2toe - It's not just Devens. I run w/NNJR at the Meadowlands too so I need an easy source on my way to/from NJ.

ratt_finkel - Thanks for the input on the ITB. I forgot to mention I do have ported/polished intake and exhaust manifolds so I've at least got something.

ragek23 - I have no current plans to run in Stratford. With such easy access to significantly bigger/better lots I just don't see any value in running on a postage stamp sized lot that's super gravely. Although you may see me at an event on the "big" lot if I absolutely have nothing else to do. But I'm more likely to skip and just go golfing instead.

For aero I'll be doing a front splitter and rear airbrake...I mean...spoiler. Those are WAY down on my list of priorities though. Berry/Grice have done quite well without aero so it's obvious that it's not "necessary".

Thanks for the warm welcome and input fellas!

-Justin
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by griceiv
make sure you take it easy on the pro launches (basically no clutch dumping) or your front diff/tcase will not like you. The factory front diff is particularly fragile.
Just to touch on this a bit, I assume launching the Evo would be similar to my old STi? Just slip the clutch a bit? I have an ACT HDSS organic full face clutch and lightweight flywheel, not sure if that makes a difference with launching. Also, where do you guys generally find yourselves launching? Obviously it depends on temp/surface, but nominally ~6,000 rpm?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Just to touch on this a bit, I assume launching the Evo would be similar to my old STi? Just slip the clutch a bit? I have an ACT HDSS organic full face clutch and lightweight flywheel, not sure if that makes a difference with launching. Also, where do you guys generally find yourselves launching? Obviously it depends on temp/surface, but nominally ~6,000 rpm?
yep
Old Mar 4, 2014, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by griceiv
Hey Justin, welcome to the party.

Ain't that the truth...

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo: ASP Gets one Back!