Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

SCCA Solo: ASP Gets one Back!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by heel2toe
Will you be there with NE-SVT on the 29th by chance?
Nope...both days of the weekend are tough when you have small kids!!

Fedja
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
BAH!!! Screw NER its all about the seat time! 10 runs are better than 5!

Not sure if we've ever met but is that talon in your avatar have any TRE decals on it?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
BAH!!! Screw NER its all about the seat time! 10 runs are better than 5!

Not sure if we've ever met but is that talon in your avatar have any TRE decals on it?
I think it did! I had 4 spider center diff from John, so..

The other Talon that is still racing (Charles's black one) has whole trainy "touched" by TRE and the rear diff is their as well.

Last edited by MrAWD; Mar 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm, well I recall seeing a talon last season decked out with large TRE decals. I meant to go over and introduce myself as Jon had recently worked his magic on my rear diff.

I was thinking the talon was red but I'm not too confident. The car appeared to be stiffly sprung with an on/off switch for a BOV

I hope we cross paths at some point this year although I stay local and don't do much if any SCCA. Im in a silver VIII with the number 96 on large orange magnets
Old Mar 21, 2014, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

No, that couldn't be mine since I parked it with 265k miles 5 years ago. The thing is that black car still has some of my parts and one of those were the red numbers on it (red squared background with white digits) and it does have big TRE stickers due to half of the car being maintained by John. Basically, red car from my avatar gave his engine two years ago for the black car and Penske shocks that are still on it. Springs are 800/650 on that thing!!

I am in graphite gray 2010 SE, so hopefully we will catch event together eventually!!

Fedja
Old Mar 21, 2014, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

That has got to be it then! Didnt know there were Penskes under there...really wish I got a chance to check it out. The day I saw it, the car appeared to be having issues as it way way off pace IIRC.

I'll be at Devens on the 29th and 5th for now assuming I can get my suspension to stop yelling at me. I hate clunks, arrrggg!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK guys, just got back from CBRD Speed Factory getting tuned. On 93oct on their Mustang dunk I got peak numbers of 306 ft-lbs of torque and 317 HP. I gained about 10 HP up top but peak TQ went down. Only because it peaked early then dipped before leveling off. Its now much flatter over a wider range.

I guess for a Mustang dyno these aren't horrible numbers but I know I'm a long way off of you E85 guys. Chad (Block, the owner) said I should gain an easy 20 ft-lbs of torque and 40 HP by switching. Hmmm...
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Since I'm not in the class anymore and this looks like the new 2014 ASP thread I wanna throw out some of the untested ideas I had.

At many of the larger national events we all know that 2nd gear can be a little short even at higher than stock fuel cut. Mine was set @ 7800. I know many who take it to 8k. Which is the limit for stock valvesprings.

I had always considered going to 19's wheels. As the 265/19 offered a several mph bump. Expensive test though.

On top of that. Anyone considered running the new short 275/17?
To be clear, this was never intended to be a build/ASP thread...but I'm happy to allow discussions and sharing so I can steal ideas.

On tires, going to 19's doesn't seem worth it since you're going to a "heavier" 19" wheel but fitting a narrower 265 tire??? The 275/35-18 I could see trying. It's 1/2" narrower, but also 1/2" taller. So it may even out?

Separate question: what are you guys running for spring rates? Has anyone run into travel/bump issues at Lincoln over creases in pavement? I've heard musings from some Super Stock drivers that they were raising ride heights because of bump issues.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Your spring rates should be much stiffer than a stock class
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Justin, why you even considering anything narrower then 285s. I think I am not getting were this 255-265 talk is coming from...

For ASP, I would make sure I have the biggest possible tire I could fit in there. Period!

Fedja
Old Mar 24, 2014, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vikingmoose
To be clear, this was never intended to be a build/ASP thread...but I'm happy to allow discussions and sharing so I can steal ideas.

On tires, going to 19's doesn't seem worth it since you're going to a "heavier" 19" wheel but fitting a narrower 265 tire??? The 275/35-18 I could see trying. It's 1/2" narrower, but also 1/2" taller. So it may even out?

Separate question: what are you guys running for spring rates? Has anyone run into travel/bump issues at Lincoln over creases in pavement? I've heard musings from some Super Stock drivers that they were raising ride heights because of bump issues.
I don't have all the info in front of me, nor do I remember all the details. But IIRC, going to a 19x10 RPF1 and the 265/??/19 was only around a pound a wheel heavier over 18x10.5". Remember it is taller than the 285/30.18. So even though it was slightly narrower. It has a longer contact patch too. Again, I don't remember the calculations, but at a 7800 fuel cut I think they netted an extra 3mph up top.

I've ran everything from 600lb to 1000lb spring rates. Depends on the shocks you run.

But yes, if you're car is too low or improperly setup. You will have issues at Lincoln.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

I will also be running ASP this year. Pretty sure i'm in for a rough start in 2 weeks vs the berry's in SD/EL Toro
Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:53 PM

Well, it's been a pretty rough/frustrating start to the 2014 season. I've got 4 events under my belt and in those first 3 events I managed to spin more than the last 3 seasons combined! Partly struggling with setup on 3 year old dead A6's, partly me trying to adjust to the car. When it is pointed straight it's a complete animal!

Unfortunately, I think I've solidified my entrance into the *SP world: Had to AAA the car home from an event after (what I hope is) a clutch issue. Came through the finish on my 2nd afternoon run, went to clutch-in as I went through the finish chute, and the pedal went straight to the floor with minimal resistance! Tried a few times and nothing happened, other than feeling a "grinding" sensation when operating the clutch pedal. Coasted back into paddock, shut the car off and restarted. Was able to get back into 1st and reverse and park.

No fluids anywhere, and clutch "appears" to be functioning from the outside. Car seems to be able to row through the gears while off with clutch engaged. I bled the clutch line and at least pedal pressure is back to normal. With the car on it doesn't want to go into gear initially, but if I wait a few minutes I can get into 1st and limp around, but it's making a strange whining/whirring noise with clutch in and I try to put it into gear. Also, if I rest my foot on the clutch pedal and gently apply pressure I can feel a definite vibration in the pedal.

I guess anyone who runs an Evo in SP/SM is bound to run into issues, I was just hoping for more than 4 events into the season. Unfortunately, it also puts a massive damper on the DC ProSolo next weekend. Not sure I can get it truly diagnosed and fixed in time.

Just because I'm trying to be a glass half full kind of guy...UP to that point the car felt great, and I had FTD in the morning (small, local non-SCCA club so kind of "easy").
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:45 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
If you are just planning to run dead old tires you would be better off on street tires. I can promise you the latest crop of street tires are faster than dead hoosiers by a large margin.

We have a couple different sets of wheels, and for local small course events have no problem with some ZII's and still setting FTDs here and there.

For the clutch, have you tried looking through the inspection hole while someone pushes the clutch?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:50 AM

Just tried resetting the throw out bearing and that didn't work. Looking into the tranny is next on the list.

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo: ASP Gets one Back!