Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

My Shop Assist Evo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
I saw the USCA a little while ago on facebook. I was considering whether or not to participate in the Portland event.
Do it!!! The USCA events are really cool and test all aspects of the car and driver. And a mildly modified Evo does really well in the MotorSports competitions. Just need TONS of custom stuff to get extra point in the design challenge.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Todd06MR
Do it!!! The USCA events are really cool and test all aspects of the car and driver. And a mildly modified Evo does really well in the MotorSports competitions. Just need TONS of custom stuff to get extra point in the design challenge.
Part of it is how much time will I be actually driving/doing stuff. There appear to be 5 events spread over 3 days. How many people are expected to participate? Will I be spending the majority of 3 days waiting around for my 1 shot at each event?
Old Jan 3, 2014, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nollij
Part of it is how much time will I be actually driving/doing stuff. There appear to be 5 events spread over 3 days. How many people are expected to participate? Will I be spending the majority of 3 days waiting around for my 1 shot at each event?
Look at it more of a fun enthusiast event versus a track day. You will not be getting 3 hours of track time, but there is never a dull moment. Here is my explanation:

The Road Rally will most likely be held Friday evening. You will get a chance to meet everybody and talk a little trash. Then you will all drive to multiple check points and then meet up at a final destination. Here, you can talk more trash and place side bets.

Saturday will consist of the AutoX and Speed/Stop challenge. They will probably split you up into 2 groups - 1 running the AutoX while the other runs the Speed/Stop. If I remember the rules correctly, you will get unlimited AutoX runs while your group is going. (In 2012, Terry Fair did like 20 runs in his Mustang so that he could beat my fastest time. Sadly, he succeeded. Haha.) Then you will switch and get 3 runs in the Speed/Stop. This forces you to be very cautious and precise to ensure your time is counted (not hitting a cone or stopping outside the box).

Sunday will most likely be dedicated to the track event. Looks like they are splitting it up into 3 groups depending on track experience. Your group will get multiple sessions to lay down the fastest lap time of the day just like Time Trials. The more advanced group(s) will get open passing. You should get at least an hour of track time in during the day, probably more. The design challenge will probably take place on Sunday as well.

This whole event is very busy and you won't have much time to stand around and twiddle your thumbs. There are cameras everywhere and people are getting interviewed at various stages. Use your time to meet the other drivers and make connections. There are some really big sponsors out there and this is the perfect time to make a good impression (trust me, it is worth it )
Old Jan 3, 2014, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That sounds a lot more like what I was hoping for. As much as I like to sit around, twiddle thumbs and talk ****, there is only so many creative ways I can say "Your slow car looks like ****. You should probably just go home."
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hi, Todd. I just now took the time to read everything and watch every video.

Good stuff. Thanks for putting this up.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoAutocrosser
hi, Todd. I just now took the time to read everything and watch every video.

Good stuff. Thanks for putting this up.
No problem, man!

We are getting the car back together pretty soon so should be another update coming.
Old Jan 11, 2014, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

Got the MSA Evo back in the shop today in preparation for the NASA race in Houston next weekend.

Pulled off the old ACT clutch. It never failed me and I am very happy with the engagement and drive-ability. It lived a hard life and was holding more torque than it was designed for. Couple that with dozens of very aggressive launches at the drag strip, and this is what you get:

Luckily, Competition Clutch came through big time! They sent me one of their Stage 4-6 puck spring clutches and their lightweight flywheel.

This setup weighed in at 3 lbs less than the ACT setup (with lightweight ACT flywheel). This is on top of the few pounds already saved over stock.

Installed the clutch with the ACT monoloc to ensure that the wedge collar won't pop off.

Old Jan 12, 2014, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
love those ACT Monolocs.

Did you have any of the high rpm lockout problems?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

Love the comp clutchs, I have the flywheel on mine as well, and they both hold up great, you'll love it Todd. Looking forward to hearing the results from Houston! Trying to do TT in the near future, poppin my cherry and doing my first HPDE event in April.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVOizmm
love those ACT Monolocs.

Did you have any of the high rpm lockout problems?
Never had any lock out problems with the ACT, even shifting at 9000rpm.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Javelin
Love the comp clutchs, I have the flywheel on mine as well, and they both hold up great, you'll love it Todd. Looking forward to hearing the results from Houston! Trying to do TT in the near future, poppin my cherry and doing my first HPDE event in April.
Sadly, the racing gods were not smiling down on me this month. KevinD and I concentrated more on the My Shop Assist software than the My Shop Assist Evo. He got about 75% done with my custom tucked wiring harness before we succumbed to defeat. Just not worth the strain (on sleep, family, and customer cars) to complete it by this afternoon.

But, the wiring harness is going to be super awesome! Cleaning up the engine bay in preparation for the Optima USCA event in Dallas in March.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

So, we got the rebuilt transmission from Hayes Race Transmissions (https://www.facebook.com/HayesTransmission) in. He said I chewed up the 4th gear syncro pretty bad and it needed a new output shaft. The original cheap and local rebuild lasted me 2 years of track driving. Not too bad.

Really looking forward to driving the Hayes rebuild! We send him all our race transmissions and he can do anything the other well known places do. And, best of all, he uses My Shop Assist so the customer can get pics and keep track of the progress!

Also got some "street car" goodies in.

Received the Dash2Pro from Race Technologies. We have a similar dash on our flagship TT2 race car and love it!

And here is Richard bench testing it.

The new interface is very intuitive and a vast improvement over the old software.

I ordered mine with the 4 additional analog inputs (total of 8) so that we can do intercooler testing. Going to be testing intercooler and turbo efficiency between stock, 3" Bar & Plate, and 3" Tube and Fin.

Here is a sneak peak of the product:

That's right. Tube & Fin baby! About half the weight of a similar thickness Bar & Plate. We will be ensuring that it can handle 500whp at 30psi on the street, road course, and drag strip.

Hopefully KevinD can get the wiring harness finished up next week so I can test this stuff out!
Old Feb 22, 2014, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Quick reminder for everybody to tune into MavTV tonight and check out the EvoDynamics and My Shop Assist Evo showcased in the Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational! Show times are 5pm and 8pm ET/PT

Old Feb 22, 2014, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
are you interfacing that with stock ecu or AEM? i cant recall what ecu you have/if you ever said.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 07:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
are you interfacing that with stock ecu or AEM? i cant recall what ecu you have/if you ever said.
It's stock ecu
Old Feb 23, 2014, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
are you using one of their OBD2 interfaces? or just all separate sensors?

Quick Reply: My Shop Assist Evo