Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

BFG R1-S Test and Tune

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J
My car is always dual driven on R-comps, and bagged on cooler days. Most event these days though I'm running street tires and save the r-comps for testing and big races.

I'm on 10" wheels, but have about a 3/4" pull up front and 1/2 in the back. R/Ts rear trailing links too so no rear spacer. If it doesn't fit right, Ill just have my guy come over and roll the fenders more .

Any advice on ballpark hot pressures? I'll dial it in on a skidpad but would be easier know where to start.
On 9.5's I have been running 37-38 psi. Above that they get skatey real quick. I have ran lower but they did roll over too much.

I only caution you because of your climate. These are hot weather/summer tires. There is no doubt they are more durable than hoosiers. But you will sacrifice at least you 1st run if not both of your 1st runs.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
On 9.5's I have been running 37-38 psi. Above that they get skatey real quick. I have ran lower but they did roll over too much.

I only caution you because of your climate. These are hot weather/summer tires. There is no doubt they are more durable than hoosiers. But you will sacrifice at least you 1st run if not both of your 1st runs.
Good to know. I struggled thru kumhos for years so I'm moderately use to it, can it be any worse than them? With hoosiers we're spraying tires after the first run knowing if we don't they'll over heat. The event this weekend was 85 ambient and nuclear on pavement, or so it seemed.

Do you under-pressure your tires on the first run? Cold so less grip and less roll, but on the kumhos they built heat quicker. If I think I'll gain 4psi in a run, I'll start that run 3-4psi low. I only do it on the first run or 2, but it's helped in the past.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

So we ran a brand new set of R1's and a brand new set of A6's yesterday. Scrubbing them in for the Spring nats/pro this weekend.

Interesting results to say the least. Link is here http://texasscca.org/2013_solo_resul..._final.htm#ASP

Blanton
39.978 - BFG
38.449 - BFG
38.407 - BFG (parked it for .5 seconds near end of course so theoretical 37.9xx)

37.073+1 - Hoosier (turned in early on a non critical cone)
37.965 - Hooiser (threw it away near the end again, segment times indicate low 37)

JFO
38.480 - BFG
38.145 - BFG
37.740 - BFG

37.418 - Hoosier
37.168+1 - Hoosier

Both sets were brand new with zero heat cycles and no heat cycling done. Wheels were 18x9.5". Tires were 285/30/18.
37psi on BFG

40 and then 38 on Hoosiers.

Surface was sealed asphalt, relatively smooth. Temps were in the low 80's, sunny and windy.

Of note, we tested a front splitter today also.

Here are my observations. The BFG's were much easier to drive all around. The feedback was more direct and the adhesion limit was very easy to detect. The car did not want to slide at all. Grip off the line was also noticeably better than the hoosiers.

The hoosiers definitely could be slid around more. And were easier in general to evoke wheelspin both off the line and during maneuvers on course. Where the BFG just stayed planted. Indicating that the BFG's may have more longitudal grip. Or even more grip all around. Yet they were ultimately slower.

My take overall on hoosiers is that they like to be driven with little to no slip angle. "Tight and tidy" if you will. However, at this event they were faster with more slip angle than I typically drive.

This was Blanton's 1st time on fresh rubber and 1st time on Hoosiers. He dropped significant time on his 1st run on the hooisers over the BFG's that I cannot ignore.

We will reserve final judgement for this week once we are in Lincoln. But interesting data point nonetheless.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Im wondering if you need a bit of balance change with the BFGs. I remember back when I went to the hoosiers from kumhos that I went slower because the balance was all out of whack. Lots more grip, but no rotation.

Itll be another couple weeks before I test the BFGs so I still dont have any idea how my car will like them compared to purple crack.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
37 seems a bit high for the BFGs based on what I've been seeing from other people. Do you think they could benefit from dropping the pressure a few psi?
Old May 20, 2013, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Im wondering if you need a bit of balance change with the BFGs. I remember back when I went to the hoosiers from kumhos that I went slower because the balance was all out of whack. Lots more grip, but no rotation.

Itll be another couple weeks before I test the BFGs so I still dont have any idea how my car will like them compared to purple crack.
The balance didn't seem to change. Just the driving style. I can say the same about running V710's also. The rotation was still there. The car just exhibited a more planted feeling. Very forgiving and very easy to drive over all.

Originally Posted by RJones
37 seems a bit high for the BFGs based on what I've been seeing from other people. Do you think they could benefit from dropping the pressure a few psi?
37 is as low as I have gone based on tire chalking. I've gone as high as 40 and found them to be undriveable at that pressure. I expect pressures would be lower on a 10 or 10.5" wheel. But I don't have widths that size in the proper offest or enough caster to fit them.

Last edited by ratt_finkel; May 20, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old May 20, 2013, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Where did you see that 37 was considered high? I will be running a brand new set of R1S 255/40/17 on 17x9 this weekend and need suggestions for starting tire pressures.
Old May 20, 2013, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Where did you see that 37 was considered high? I will be running a brand new set of R1S 255/40/17 on 17x9 this weekend and need suggestions for starting tire pressures.
I was just basing that on what I've heard from the people running them at local events. I've heard that due to the stiff sidewall the pressures they like are more like a Kumho V710.

We're also talking about autocross here... I'm not sure if you're talking about a track event or autocross.
Old May 20, 2013, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

I'd start around 30 cold, 36-38 hot.
Old May 20, 2013, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RJones
I was just basing that on what I've heard from the people running them at local events. I've heard that due to the stiff sidewall the pressures they like are more like a Kumho V710.

We're also talking about autocross here... I'm not sure if you're talking about a track event or autocross.
I don't believe their sidewalls are anything near as stiff as V710's. Much closer to hoosiers.
Old May 20, 2013, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about R1's compared to the new R1-S? Of course I jsut bought R1's before I saw this thread... /fail
Old May 20, 2013, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
37 is as low as I have gone based on tire chalking. I've gone as high as 40 and found them to be undriveable at that pressure. I expect pressures would be lower on a 10 or 10.5" wheel. But I don't have widths that size in the proper offest or enough caster to fit them.
Tire roll over is an alignment issue not a tire pressure issue.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

I ran the standard R1 a few years back and I loved them. No idea how these new R1S tires will perform. They sure are meety. All of the below tires are 255/40/17.
Old May 20, 2013, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Double post
Old May 20, 2013, 11:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
I ran the standard R1 a few years back and I loved them. No idea how these new R1S tires will perform. They sure are meety. All of the below tires are 255/40/17.
not exactly fair comparing them to tires mounted on skinny stock wheels.

Quick Reply: BFG R1-S Test and Tune