Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Fuse Box Help Needed - unwiring race car

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2012, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Fuse Box Help Needed - unwiring race car

Hey all,

I am working on getting rid of unneccessary wires in my car. Can someone tell me what this plug is? What do the wires control, and can I just remove it and all the associated wires?

The wires run along the drivers side to the back of the car.

Sorry, I can't find my owner's manual right now and I could't find any reference to this plug in my quick search on here.

Thanks!!

Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Well, last night I got the driver's side done from the fuse box back to the rear of the car. Tonight I got the passenger side done from the front footwell back to the back of the car. This is getting easier as I go!

Started on the dash and engine bay harnesses. I sure hope this thing runs after I get done with her!! Trying to get the wiring chop finished before it gets too cold here in MI. . .
Old Oct 8, 2012, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice work. Absolutely hate digging into wiring, but it's pretty easy when the car is completely gutted, LOL.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Next problem, trying to figure out what these two capped plugs are for. They are grey, 22 pins, and the caps have pins in them. They are in the dash in the center of the dash bar. From what I can tell from the wiring diagram I think they are called J/C (1) and J/C (3) which I think stands for Junction Connector.

Old Jul 22, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone here do a complete race-wiring job on an EVO before? I want to completely get rid of both fuse boxes and go to a RacePak Smartwire computer programmable setup.

http://www.racepak.com/Components/Smartwire.php
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never done it but it isn't that hard.
Wish you were closer, I could've traded labor for beer and an AR!

Are you looking for suggestions or help?
Old Jul 22, 2014, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Only a little at a time, trying to do it "all" will cause way too much confusion and troubleshooting to be worth the "weight" or cleanliness in my opinion. I actually was looking through the ABS/SRS wiring diagrams today trying to figure out what I could get rid of as well. Only to realize that i'm just adding weight back by doing the racing "switch panel" not unlike the one you posted.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
id love to run a racepak, im about to tear into m wiring im doing the bay mainly but if i delete the dash I might delete all of it haha
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
If you are going with something like the racepak, I'd start from scratch. The OEM dash harness has a ton of extra junk in it. Also, it's setup to be modular which means a bunch of extra connectors and strange routing.

Something to consider though, the lights, door locks, and windows are all controlled by the ETACS ecu that is attached to the back of the fuse block in the dash. The switches on the column for example don't directly control anything, they just send signals to the ecu and the ecu controls everything. This shouldn't be a huge issue really as you are essentially doing the same thing with the racepak. Looking at the diagrams though, it looks like the column switches are actually sending serial data to the ecu though and are not descrete signals.

If you are eliminating power windows, door locks, and heater/ac though, you get rid of probably 50% of the OEM wiring in the dash.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jul 28, 2014 at 08:28 AM.