Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Limerock and noise restriction

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Limerock and noise restriction

I was looking into going to Limerock for my second HPDE event since its closer than Watkins and NJMP. I was curious if I would be allowed to race their with my catless exhaust? I have a Perrin TBE and cams but am unfamiliar if theres a possibility they will ban me???
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
im struggling with the same concern. i have a cobb exhaust with berk high flow cat. 87db is no joke for an evo.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 3" exhaust with a racing cat and magna flow muffler at Lime Rock. I did not have a problem with sound.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

have an invidia q300 with a perrin dp + hfc and passed last year with same restrictions. the cobb and perrin are pretty quiet exhausts as well, probably on par with mine so i dont think you will have an issue. also it isnt one and done. if they tell you are too loud, you are given the chance to make it quieter, at least thats how it was when i was there last

Last edited by zabes; Mar 13, 2012 at 05:32 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having noise restrictions on race cars is retarded.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Having noise restrictions on race cars is retarded.
CT is pretty bad about everything.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

yup, its thanks to idiots deciding to build around a race track then complaining about noise
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

The church and houses were there long before the track was built. The town ordinance against Lime Rock stems from Marlin Brando in The Wild Ones. The public was terrified by the thought of biker hoodlums invading the town to go racing. No motorcycles and no racing on Sunday. That's how people were in the 50's. I think the issue of people building around a race track and complaining reminds me more of Laguna Seca in California.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
The church and houses were there long before the track was built. The town ordinance against Lime Rock stems from Marlin Brando in The Wild Ones. The public was terrified by the thought of biker hoodlums invading the town to go racing. No motorcycles and no racing on Sunday. That's how people were in the 50's. I think the issue of people building around a race track and complaining reminds me more of Laguna Seca in California.
stand corrected. learn somethin new every day
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I think 98 dcbl. Anyway it is strongly monitored. You should go to the sound test latest possible witha fully warmed up car.

If tou dont pass get metal shield. Behind the exhaust tip and bend it down words so the exhaust still flow freely but the sounds hits the gound first.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I think 98 dcbl. Anyway it is strongly monitored. You should go to the sound test latest possible witha fully warmed up car.
98? the site says 87 decibel "measured at the edge of the track". so who knows how far that actually is from the car.

i think the cobb website listed the stock exhaust as 87db SAE.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by killerpenguin21
98? the site says 87 decibel "measured at the edge of the track". so who knows how far that actually is from the car.

i think the cobb website listed the stock exhaust as 87db SAE.
maybe 89db i cant recall it. But i know i didnt passed it first time ... LOL

they measure it before you get a green light to go. They do it at the tech inspection. They do it couple of feet behind the car . You have to line up to the drawn line on the ground and they have a station to measure it.

You guys should ask the orgenizers about the restrictions, never a bad idea to know what you against. This way will have a much less headcahe and suprise at the track.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

I passed last year with a magnaflow 3" TB exhaust. This year it is stricter! It changes from club to club . It also changes depending on the day! (dumb) If you plan on running with EMRA the limit is set at 86db. You can usually see the guys measuring at the side of the track, as you pass by just "lift".
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
maybe 89db i cant recall it. But i know i didnt passed it first time ... LOL

they measure it before you get a green light to go. They do it at the tech inspection. They do it couple of feet behind the car . You have to line up to the drawn line on the ground and they have a station to measure it.

You guys should ask the orgenizers about the restrictions, never a bad idea to know what you against. This way will have a much less headcahe and suprise at the track.
This is incorrect, along with your db guesses. It is 87db and they measure at various points while you are on track, not at tech.

Honestly, being catless, I wouldn't be surprised if you were black flagged. I've run a HFC and been fine, but every setup is different, maybe they won't even check you. It's a gamble in my book. Personally, I'm going to run a HFC there to be on the safe side.

Last edited by delongedoug; Mar 13, 2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by delongedoug
This is incorrect, along with your db guesses. It is 87db and they measure at various points while you are on track, not at tech.

Honestly, being catless, I wouldn't be surprised if you were black flagged. I've run a HFC and been fine, but every setup is different, maybe they won't even check you. It's a gamble in my book. Personally, I'm going to run a HFC there to be on the safe side.
Which club is running 87db? I ran a HFC last season and I was ok.

Quick Reply: Limerock and noise restriction