Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
too awesome!! very happy to read all about it.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good luck on your preparation.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Do work!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone in colorado springs have some GPS data of the road up the hill? i'll pay someone to email me the entire road as logged in say, harrys lap timer. getting an idea if i want to switch down to an HTA82 turbo. having all pavement means corner exit will be more critical.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

THIS WILL BE AWESOME! Great opportunity and exposure for you guys.

I would totally come up to Colorado with you guys as a groupie/tech/mechanic! When I went up to Colorado Springs, Aspen, and Vail last August, it was one of the coolest trips of my life.

-Acree
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

What are your guys thought on the whole "maybe" having to qualify topic? That really will make it difficult for new teams to actually be able to compete on race day. One thing you will learn if you become a hillclimber. Experience on a road is key! I kno Dave K has some opinions on this subject. My opinion is that they better be careful about how they do this or whats going to happen is this. The race will attract racers for the first few years then, it will die off again and they will be stuck with having to rely on the grassroots folks again. And alot of them will be pissed that they havn't been able to run the past few years. If you look at entry list over the past few years. They need to realize that most of the drivers are from Colorado or surrounding areas. Sure they will bring in some more "long distance, big time names" for a few years but they shouldn't penalize the people who have been keeping the hill going over this long time. It wasn't that long ago that this race was thought to be on its last leg.

If you can get 600HP out of the smaller turbo then it might be okay. If your thinking that your worried about lag. I'd think about running anti-lag.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

I have a ton of data of the road, no GPS but baro from bottom to top.

It will be nice to have more Evo's, this year will be fun.

Mitch
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Also what ECU are you guys using?

Mitch
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Antilag is a big help in some one cases. That is might be something to look in to.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
What are your guys thought on the whole "maybe" having to qualify topic? That really will make it difficult for new teams to actually be able to compete on race day. One thing you will learn if you become a hillclimber. Experience on a road is key! I kno Dave K has some opinions on this subject. My opinion is that they better be careful about how they do this or whats going to happen is this. The race will attract racers for the first few years then, it will die off again and they will be stuck with having to rely on the grassroots folks again. And alot of them will be pissed that they havn't been able to run the past few years. If you look at entry list over the past few years. They need to realize that most of the drivers are from Colorado or surrounding areas. Sure they will bring in some more "long distance, big time names" for a few years but they shouldn't penalize the people who have been keeping the hill going over this long time. It wasn't that long ago that this race was thought to be on its last leg.

If you can get 600HP out of the smaller turbo then it might be okay. If your thinking that your worried about lag. I'd think about running anti-lag.

last time the car was together with this parts combination it made 580whp at 28 psi before i made the fuel system what it is now. now for comparisons sake, when we helped rally dave two years ago when he won the open class, he brought the car to us claiming it made 600whp. it had 650cc injectors and dynoed barely 400 with us. i think we'll be good on power even with the smaller HTA82.

Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
I have a ton of data of the road, no GPS but baro from bottom to top.

It will be nice to have more Evo's, this year will be fun.

Mitch
i'm guessing you guys will be out there helping daveK? i'll be sure to look for you guys out there and say hi. about the data, if your willing to share, i'd love it, but since i'm sure its technically DaveK's data i wont pester you for it
the Baro data i can get from weather stations though. the GPS data i wanted to run through my track time simulator i wrote

Originally Posted by Magnumpsi
Also what ECU are you guys using?

Mitch
we'll be running the stock ecu on MAF. the logistics of trying to tune a speed density car at such wildly different altitudes seems like a waste when we can run a maf and not care about altitude change. last time i drove up the mt with my stock ecu car, it ran fine from top to bottom without needing a tune granted i wasnt "Racing" up it.

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Antilag is a big help in some one cases. That is might be something to look in to.
we don't use the antilag when we road race or autocross, but in both cases we run smaller turbos with more torque then power. i've road raced the HTA86 before with the 2.3L and its not that laggy.... but i never had hairpins either. we have so many events we can do here leading up to the event i'm sure i'll have it sorted out exactly how jeremy wants it.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD
we'll be running the stock ecu on MAF. the logistics of trying to tune a speed density car at such wildly different altitudes seems like a waste when we can run a maf and not care about altitude change.
You just need a real ECU.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
KevinD, how the hell an awd turbo rally car makes legally 400 whp? What are the specs if you dont mind?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
You just need a real ECU.

if the stock ecu becomes a limitation, then i'll do something about it antilag isn't something i have to have, but the JDM ecu has it, so thats a simple solution.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
KevinD, how the hell an awd turbo rally car makes legally 400 whp? What are the specs if you dont mind?

rally daves car isn't a rally car. its a pikes peak only car. it wouldn't be legal for any form of racing except unlimited hill climb stuff...
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

I would do anti-lag just to say you have it.

-Acree

Quick Reply: Evolution Dynamics Pikes Peak Build