Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

TeamWIN racing 2011 season debut!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool TeamWIN racing 2011 season debut!

Thought I would start a thread for my 2011 racing season debut, build, and updates...

Over the last few years I have raced time trials and time attack, but for 2011 I have made the jump to competition wheel to wheel racing. As a NASA memeber I have decided to race in the Super Touring series st-2 class. A few other members on this forum do as well so as a very basic overview.......

It is a class for any production based car and is limited by a power to weight ratio. In st-2 the rules basically mirror TT-S with a 8.70 to 1 ratio. Aero is un restricted as is things like tire brand, size, compound. But everything weight, power, and tire related contributes to an over all point system that reflects your over all adjusted power to weight ratio....

Also for 2011 I have ditched the Hamflex racing name, was never a huge fan of it but it mainly started on this forum as it is my SN.... go figure...

For 2011 a friend and I have brought back from the dead an old BMX name, TeamWIN.... The website for this is TeamWINracing .com, its much better site to follow along progress, schedule, sponsors, bio..... so on and so forth. Also form there you can link it to my Youtube channel for raceday recaps and a little incar footage.

On with changes for 2011.........

-Turbo change, after speaking with Robert over at Forced Performance. I have decided to go with the FP White. Quick spooling, and will be more efficent in a 30 minute race. I will also mention due to my car weight being 2825, and around 2975 with me in it. After I do all the power to weight ratio classifications I am only allowed 340 to 350 hp. So I see the white being the perfect choice!

-Suspension change, Thanks to Robispec I will be running the his KW RACE version coilovers. Very excited to see how the car will handle from previous years suspension.

-DHP composites single element carbon fiber wing

-Cage change, I had to make some adjustments and also add a bar or two.

Last edited by hamflex; Feb 24, 2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Cool, what kind of cars are in your region/class to complete against?

Was thinking about the white as well, i'm around 340 with slicks and 370 with hoosiers without adding/removing weight. Still dialing in the power delivery so running TTS for now, but you'll LOVE the KW Race's, smooth as hell.

Also you running a rear diff yet?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

No rear diff yet, I have the ACD reflash which helped a little.....

Yea I made decent power on my stock turbo, but the main problem was the heat soke and fall off after numerous laps. Obviously in the races I will be out there non stop for 30 minutes or so and with the White I will have all the pull from lap 1 till the end.

And in the midwest region we have a couple Z06's, cts-v, and a panoz roadster or 2. Not surewho else will be in the mix for this season, and I cant remember who is in st-2 in the great lakes region. We have 2 cross over events as well.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Ryan. Its really cool to see another Evo join us in ST2. Good luck to you, and hopefully in a few years we can have enough Evos out there to gang up on those Vettes. Btw, whens your first race?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Wish we had NASA in the NW Region...I would so come out for this! sounds awesome! smoke those vettes!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

What size/kind of tires are you ST-2 guys running? I assume some variant of purple crack.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
great!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

and we have pictures
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

First race is april 16th and 17th.... I think the 16th is my actual drivers school so my first race on my provisional license will be sunday the 17th

As far as tires go, I will be running a 275/40/17. The actual tire its self is yet to be determined, as I have sent out some proposals and am trying to get tires at a little better rate.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

See you in August at Mid Ohio! There could be 4 or more Evo's in ST-2. Maybe a couple in ST-1 too.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apex electric
See you in August at Mid Ohio! There could be 4 or more Evo's in ST-2. Maybe a couple in ST-1 too.
I know I cant wait! I know another local shop VS motorsports is building an evo for ST1. I had my car at their shop last week since they became a NASA tech center.... The car is all teched and ready for the track.

Any local midwesters going to be at the NASA open house at Havoc motorsports this saturday?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats Ryan on the decision to move up to comp racing. What made you decide ST2 over ST1? I thought you were previously planning for ST1.

Expect to see some great things from the VS Motorsports team this season. I'm sure you saw a small preview of it when you visited the shop.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by racer145
Congrats Ryan on the decision to move up to comp racing. What made you decide ST2 over ST1? I thought you were previously planning for ST1.

Expect to see some great things from the VS Motorsports team this season. I'm sure you saw a small preview of it when you visited the shop.

In ST1 I would have to make around 500 to 550 awhp at my weight. I couldnt do that in a reliable manner I felt on stock motor. Plus ST2 has a bigger class, and that is what I want to be a part of!

Yes VS is going to be fun to watch.... hopefully we can get some Evo's in 1st place in both ST1 and ST2!
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Is your motor built? Specs? I would be interested to see what the White does power band wise to see if it's better then stock ST2 wise. I've not had any cooling issues with the stock turbo neither has a few others here so i'm interested to see the advantages on numbers. Meaning we know it makes more power, but we know that's not the goal. So does it make "better" power for "longer" in the RPM range.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 06:30 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats! ST-2 is a good choice to run with, although it's expensive to run in "any" type of racing; ST-1 has the potential to be a money pit

As others have mentioned, I'll be interested to see how a white works out for you vs. the stock turbo. Given you'll be shooting for around 310 whp on a Mustang dyno and tuning more for powerband and torque I wonder how the white will do.

Be sure to post up the results!!!

As David mentioned, there will be quite a few Evo's out at Mid-O over the summer between TT and w2w-great to see

Quick Reply: TeamWIN racing 2011 season debut!