Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Proper way to mount a GT wing?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Proper way to mount a GT wing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovO2uccx7tI

So what is the proper way to mount a GT wing? I know you want it mounted to the chassis, but I was hoping for a more detailed answer(pictures, video, CAD drawings). I really like the way Touge Factory mounted their wing. Any idea what size DOM tubing they used, and how exactly it's mounted in the trunk. TF do you guys mind posting more detailed pictures and how exactly you did this? Looks awesome!

Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your chassis mounting it like the TF car, you can take the drag developed by the wing (at the maximum speed you estimate you'll be going), the downforce develop by the wing, and the height/backset of the wing relative to the mounting point. do the math for the loading, torques, strain/stress, and then calcuate the strength of the material you want to use. give yourself a decent safety factor so it doesn't do what the cyber evo did. i think you'll find that if you use tube, it wont take much tube at all. some 1" .028 would be plenty if you position it right. i think the more important part is going to be the fasteners though. if you do it like (just about everyone), you'll see it only have 4 bolts hold it down. the leading bolt is in tension which can break the bolt with enough load. the trailing bolt doesn't have nearly as much loading as the rear half of the upright is in compression. i would bet the cyber evos failure was due to the leading edge fastener failing.