Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

NASA Super Touring races at Watkins Glen

Old Sep 26, 2009, 03:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASA Super Touring races at Watkins Glen

I have just over one week to ready my ST-2 Evolution 8 for the "Thunder at the Glen" races. EFI Logics is bringing 3 Sti's and a MR. The event is drawing some really fast cars. The #101 Evo has been completely rebuild to a much higher specification. The amount of custom built parts is staggering. Much of the finish work will be missing but the general build will be track ready. Right now resin drying time is our time limit. This will be the first Evolution taken to this level of road racing. A complete flat bottom tunnel car with ground effects is illegal in most racing series. NASA super touring classes allows complete freedom to create a custom body. You could run a Group B super rally car if desired! My good friend and race car builder Charlie North "Function First Motorsports" has been building custom race cars and small aircraft for a few decades. We have researched this build for a few years and found very few companies that design/produce correct components. The only item purchased was the AMS "mustache" rear diff mount. Charlie noted that the factory should have made the mount similarly. Everything on this car has been custom designed and machined by Charlie. From custom aluminum bushing's and suspension parts to building molds to produce ground effect body parts. The time spent on rebuilding the electrical system was longer than expected. There are too many changes to list on this forum. The only limit in Super Touring development is the cross members, the must remain stock. Too bad, the next step to building a real race car would be building tube frame cross members to change the suspension pick up points. Charlie will be with the car next weekend so Evo fans can take pictures and ask questions from the creator. The car is going from Charlie's shop to EFI logics for motor tuning then directly to the Glen. Unfortunately time is running out and the car is untested. I hope the car will perform well during Fridays break in/testing and put in a good showing during the races. There will be some very fast machines coming from Super Unlimited tube frame cars to American Iron Extreme 700hp monsters. Come up to the Glen and watch the big boys!! David Fazzino driver/owner #101 Evolution 8 Super Touring 2
Old Sep 26, 2009, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck. Most likely I will be there running in HPDE-3. I remember your car from a couple of years ago. You asked me if you can borrow my wastegate actuator for the last race session.

Last edited by 18bora; Sep 26, 2009 at 04:42 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the interest. What a calamity that was two years ago! I almost got pole if it wasn't for that lever snapping on my 2cd qualifying lap. I was able to barrow a welder from one of the Porsche teams and repair it well enough to start the race. Then the crank case pressure blew out the dip stick in the race and I DNF. Not going to happen ever again! The valve cover now has a 3'4" breather to a catch can. It was suppose to be plumbed back into the oil pan but time is quickly running short! Newly rebuilt motor, Evo 5 RS modified gear box, front LSD, a rebuilt rear diff with added clutch plates and a carbon twin clutch! Too bad the Deman Porsche team is missing this year. Those GT3 exhaust notes are wild!
Old Sep 26, 2009, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck out there Dave. I know youve been anticipating this race for a while now. Especially since you changed your ST2 setup from what it was last year. Let me know how things unfold.
Old Sep 26, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Good luck dave!
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Hell of a race lining up. should be nearly 50 cars in the thunder group. We are really up against the wall for completion. The first side skirt was difficult because we tried a new resin that was hard to work with. Then used a poly resin that worked like a charm. There is not enough time to make molds and then parts so the "buck's" will stay on the car with the foam still inside. Should be strong enough to weather the 150 mph speeds. If all the measurements are correct the splitter and side skirts will just touch the pavement when the suspension is loaded fully. The rear tunnels are very aggressive looking and should release the pressure under the car. It's a wild looking result! Do not have time tonight to give all the details so hopefully some of you will get a chance to see the first test. I believe if we have time Friday we will yarn the car to witness the air flow over the body work. That's all for now I will hopefully have a great report next week. Cheers to everyone Dave
Old Sep 29, 2009, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Wooo!!!
Old Oct 1, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

I seen that porsche at NJMP on lighting he is freakin fastttt. Awesome car, sounds beatiful, and the exhaust flames on downshifts speak for themselves
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Here is a quick report from the Super Touring races. The package came together finally on Sunday. Out of the 43 cars in the Thunder group I qualified 5th with a 2:05.6. Then finished 3rd overall only bested by the 600+hp Super Unlimited tube frame cars. The ground effects package is still incomplete but the custom splitter,flat bottom,side skirts and rear tunnel diffuser are beginning to work. During the race on Sunday I finally was able to drive and trust the high speed grip after changing the front downforce. The balance is great now but you have to drive it up near the limit to get there. It is a custom built race car now not a street car with a bunch of bought parts thrown on it.....I hope other teams will discover the realm that we have opened up and build cars to compete in the NASA Super Touring Series. We have only begun to explore the performance of a true ground effects Evolution. The only major problem I had to manage was the brakes. If you saw my Mid Ohio NASA championship video you noticed the staggering brake performance the car has using custom built racing rotors and a double twin 2" cooling hose system. We were really tired Thursday night and made a mistake sucking air into the ABS pump which did not get wired back properly. So without the pump operational we could not bleed the air out after repeated try's at the track. So my confidence was a bit shaken trying to late brake like I am accustomed to. I believe with a lot more finish work on the under bottom and then shock tuning with a higher rev limit (stayed at 7200 to break in new motor) it could near the 2:00 time at Watkins Glen with 350whp. I will try to post a couple pictures tomorrow. David Fazzino driver owner #101 NASA super touring Evolution 8.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Here are a few pictures from the NASA Thunder at The Glen Super Touring races.

Charlie North car builder standing next to his creation.

Last edited by apex electric; Oct 5, 2009 at 08:13 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Christ! That rear diffuser is a monster! We need to talk. And btw, did i read your class lettering correctly? ST1?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Yea we never were able to scale the car before the event. I had to use my higher (hub dyno) sheet from the nationals and we removed to much weight out of the car. Weighs 2806 without driver and dry. So we got bumped into ST 1 for this weekend. When I can get it to EFI with the car for retuning, the ratio will be dialed in for ST2. EFI Logics in Bethel Ct. uses a mustang dyno and is the a inspection site for NASA Northeast. I beat all the EFI cars this weekend so you can be sure the numbers will be accurate!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

The car performed very well especially with very little seat time on the new setup. I like the bomb dive you pulled on the black STI on turn 1. From where I was standing he started breaking around the 300 mark and you just went around him @WOT. The 600hp (if not more) GTO was plan nasty, I clocked him doing mid 1:58. In 3 laps he pulled 3-4 city blocks ahead of everyone.
BTW, Saturday’s pics are already posted. http://www.tracktimephotos.com/gallery_view.php

Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Great shots, I had not seen them . Thanks Dave....
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

very nice!
Love the progress you've made with the car, can't wait to see what you can do once everything is sorted 100%.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NASA Super Touring races at Watkins Glen