Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

Subaru's top NA Rally Driver Killed at the Oregon rally today!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2003, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Subaru's top NA Rally Driver Killed at the Oregon rally today!

It appears as though driver Mark Lovell, and co-pilot Roger Freeman, were killed is an accident that occured 75 ft. from the start of Special Stage One at the Oregon Rally today.

Still alot of speculation and hearsay, but if it is true, it is very sad.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 06:30 PM
Account Disabled

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=390382
Old Jul 12, 2003, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

They're being pretty hush-hush about it at this point it seems. The updates from this site don't have more than the SCCA press releases. I hope that doesn't mean the worst. That thread on nasioc makes me fear the worst though.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

It's usually a foregone conclusion whenever details are withheld involving a motorsports accident. I hope this case is different although experience would lead me to believe otherwise. Mark Lovell was an unbelievably talented driver, but even more importantly, a wonderful human being. He was always very approachable, and appreciative of his fans. Just remember that if the rumors are true, he died doing what he loved! You WILL be missed, Mark.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Sad news. Watched him years ago in Ireland driving a Sierra Cosworth. Godspeed
Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

that is very sad news. he was a great driver and one of the pioneers of the sport in the states.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 07:54 PM

Oregon AP news wire posted the news at 7:45 confirming the death of both Lovell and Freeman.

Said impact was estimated between 80-130 MPH, 9/10 mile into the stage. Accident occured at 10:53 AM PDT.

Terrible news...

Last edited by Kubicide; Jul 14, 2003 at 07:43 PM.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 09:48 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Horrible, horrible news...

I remember meeting him at a pre-rally event up here in MN. He was a great guy who loved interacting with fans. I'll forever treasure my Subaru poster with his autograph.

Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

I remember when Danny Hammel died at the Baja 1000 back in 95. Man, that was sad.

He was a KX 500 racer that was just the best there was in desert racing. The best ever. Hit some fool that wasn't even in the race that pulled out in front of him during the race. He hit him at 100+ on the Factory Kawi.

Similar situation. RIP rally dudes. What a blow to the sport. I believe that it displays a lack of class to continue the rally. They should cancel it in memory of the drivers.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 11:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by BADWRX
Similar situation. RIP rally dudes. What a blow to the sport. I believe that it displays a lack of class to continue the rally. They should cancel it in memory of the drivers.
It's a tough spot though, you know. On one hand we want to remember the passed, and give respect, but on the other hand some would argue that continuing on with the rally and dedicating it, and possibly the season, to them is the best form of rememberance. What would they have wanted? Impossible to say. And we must remember that, as harsh as this may sound, racing is dangerous. Injury and sometimes death are everyday risks that all drivers assume everytime they strap into their vehicles. It's tragic for sure, fortunately it doesn't happen that often. This for sure has been the toughest 5 year span in racing, across all forms, that I can remember.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by BADWRX
I believe that it displays a lack of class to continue the rally. They should cancel it in memory of the drivers.
I disagree. They consulted with SCCA, rally, and team officials and they agreed to continue on. They even asked a close family friend who said for them to continue.

Last time a driver died, they continued on with the race (1998 Prescott).

Plus, I believe Mark & Roger would have wanted the race to continue on.

Pete
www.onalimbracing.com
Old Jul 13, 2003, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is indeed very, very, very sad... I just got back now and read this over at specialstage... and can't find words to explain how I feel. A gruesome reminder that our sport is not without danger, in spite of all the precautions that are taken.

As part of SRTUSA Mark's car was obviously prepared to the highest level, and he was a high caliber driver. So this should send a message to drivers of all experience levels (and especially to fans emulating in their daily drivers on the open road!), that even the best of the best take a lot of risk and no matter how high the level of safety terrible things still happen.

My thoughts are with their families and friends. I do think that based on the reports, continuing with the rally was appropriate, and Mark and Roger would have likely wanted this. I would.

Pablo.
www.bluedotracing.com
Old Jul 13, 2003, 08:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Lovell was awesome and it shows you what a "cruel sport" racing is...two weeks ago they won the Pikes Peak Hill Climb (rally class) and now they are gone, that quick. God speed Mark and Roger
Old Jul 14, 2003, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

Thoughts and prayers to the drivers and their families.

SCCA release here: http://www.scca.org/news/press03_64.html
Old Jul 14, 2003, 11:32 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
my prayers and condolences to the family of the drivers. I hope this was a preventable accident, but things really happen. maybe the track was not that well planned, but that's too late to even think about. I'm sure he will be missed.

Quick Reply: Subaru's top NA Rally Driver Killed at the Oregon rally today!