Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

lap times from Summit Point

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lap times from Summit Point

I went to "Hyperfest" yesterday and ran some laps with my electronic transponder (lap timer).

There was a stripped out Type R with race tires, exhaust, header, etc... (black guy named David from New york). He was .1 seconds ahead of me 1:31.601 vs 1:31.704.. my car is totally stock except i did upgrade brake pads to better street pads (SBC blue's)....

out of the 15 people timed on the track at the same time as me, i ended being 4th.... a supercharged S2000, Ferrari 355 and the Type R beat me.... not bad for a big heavy sedan!

I did blow my intake or vacumn tube though....the clamp came off and I lost all power.... i had to get towed by a strap around the freaking strut bar back to pits to put it back on.

Nearly stock evo vs the Honda-challenge qualifiying.....

#1 H1-1.25.424 -I was 6.28 seconds behind (type R CRX)
#2 H1 - 1.27.532 - I was 4.14 seconds behind (type R Civic CX

at beaverun i was only 2.5 seconds behind these guys....... it was much cooler there, and the track is set up better for the Evo's gearing and torque.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:34 AM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Good times, Scot. Who was running the blown S2000?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:45 AM

good job I did the Hyperdrive where you get 20min of hot laps. I have never been on a track before, but I was kicking ***!

I started halfway back in a group of 15 or so and ended up passing all but two of the people that started in front of me....even managed to lap two cars that started towards the back.

I passed two fully race prepped 2nd gen rx-7's running ra-1's on the second lap. I also passed a miata, mazdaspeed protege, and a heavily modified wrx. There was another heavily modded wrx that started right behind me, but as soon as we got through the slow traffic in the beginning, I didn't see him again until the cool down lap.

This car is easy to drive fast, and the brakes, kick ***! No fade the whole time, even though I could smell the brakes of the subie in front of me.

It was the best fun I've ever had in a car! I just wish I had some pics or video.

oh, the machv evo was the pacecar for the day
Old Jul 6, 2003, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

i was happy especially for how hot it was... 90F+....

the guys name is Pete.. i think he is "yellowdragon" on the s2k board..... he is actually the owner, but he had a Honda-challenge guy drive it.... it broke after the first session.... that sucked for him... all that time and $ and the damned thing wouldn't run right.

There was a S2000 driven by Nick (from new jersey)... he has aftermarket suspension and a rollbar... his best lap was 1:33.855 ... I have seen him at beaver run both times I went so has some decent experience..... weee... Evo by 2 seconds.

Originally posted by WestSideBilly
Good times, Scot. Who was running the blown S2000?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

you must have been the red one with sunroof???

It was funny... there was a guy in a SRT neon who was never on a track before... he was like "man we're gonna rip it up"... etc.... I timed him for fun... he was running 1:52's and not really getting passed by anyone..... ... slight difference in your first time out and your 10th.

Originally posted by The Barst
good job I did the Hyperdrive where you get 20min of hot laps. I have never been on a track before, but I was kicking ***!

I started halfway back in a group of 15 or so and ended up passing all but two of the people that started in front of me....even managed to lap two cars that started towards the back.

I passed two fully race prepped 2nd gen rx-7's running ra-1's on the second lap. I also passed a miata, mazdaspeed protege, and a heavily modified wrx. There was another heavily modded wrx that started right behind me, but as soon as we got through the slow traffic in the beginning, I didn't see him again until the cool down lap.

This car is easy to drive fast, and the brakes, kick ***! No fade the whole time, even though I could smell the brakes of the subie in front of me.

It was the best fun I've ever had in a car! I just wish I had some pics or video.

oh, the machv evo was the pacecar for the day
Old Jul 6, 2003, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

man I wanted to go to that....

-Shahul
Old Jul 6, 2003, 03:09 PM

Yep, mine is red with sunroof. I definitely could have pushed it harder, but I didn't know the track well enough. I just concentrated on getting the tight section down. It was too much stuff to remember in such a short amount of time. Running on the track definitely gives you a new appreciation of the car though. I wish I could have watched you run, but I was staging....
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:05 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

I am surprised at the times for the Summit Point Raceway circuit. I would have expected sub 1:30's from a stock Evo. I used to turn 1:33s in a 95 VR6 GTI w/ 2.5" cat-back, P-Flo intake, Neuspeed chip and lowering springs, Cool Carbon brake pads, and Yokohama Advan 032Rs. Car would run out of power on the front straight and still suffered from FWD push more than the law allowed though. I know that the EVO is significantly faster than the GTI every dreamed of. I've seen well sorted E30 M-3s turn 1:22s there. I will caveat this with the fact that I have intimate knowledge of and familiarity with both SPR and the Jefferson Circuit as a driving instructor but there are still serious drivers out there who are faster. Wish I could have made it for the Hyper-Fest. I'll have to get to a FATT before the end of the season to see for myself.

Last edited by jfh; Jul 6, 2003 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:19 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I turned low 27's at Summit with Hoosiers, good fluid, pads and a decent alignment. The car is too soft stock to go much faster.
Cheers,
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

what car? and I assume they were electronicaly timed?

Originally posted by wtz
I turned low 27's at Summit with Hoosiers, good fluid, pads and a decent alignment. The car is too soft stock to go much faster.
Cheers,

Last edited by Scot; Jul 6, 2003 at 05:28 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

I was "content" with my times...it was 90F+++ (something like 110F on the track).... that alone would slow most cars.... I did not run the inter-cooler spray... I have no idea if it would help, but i didn't want to anything on the track just in case.

I honestly thought it would be under 1:30..... the stock car runs out of juice (esp in the heat) down the straight.... i used to hit 130 with the S2000 and could only get about 125 with this car...??

o well....all drivers I am referencing are HPDE3 or better, so they all in theory can drive pretty well.

just for reference -

WRX wagon with coilovers, lightweight wheels, huge brake calipers, cross drilled rotors, inter-cooler upgrade, exhaust and running Kuhmo's was running mid 1:32's... so i did stay ahead of him
Old Jul 6, 2003, 06:21 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Hi Scot,
Low 27's in the Evo. I hold an SCCA Pro license and I can promise you the car cannot lap Summit much faster without additional mods.
Cheers,
Old Jul 6, 2003, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

very nice!!! would you mind telling me the weather for that day? (I am making excuses out the wazoo why you ran 4.5 seconds faster than me. ).

thanks

Scot

Originally posted by wtz
Hi Scot,
Low 27's in the Evo. I hold an SCCA Pro license and I can promise you the car cannot lap Summit much faster without additional mods.
Cheers,
Old Jul 6, 2003, 07:55 PM
wtz
Evolving Member

Temps in the low 80's. I think it was at a FATT in May. I have a lot of time in various race cars at Summit. My Evo is white and has surprised more than a few full-on race cars at various tracks in the Northeast. The SCCA is going to allow the car to roadrace in T2 in 2004 and I am working on developing the Evo.
Cheers,
Old Jul 7, 2003, 02:59 AM
Evolved Member

T2 Sounds like fun...except on big HP tracks where the camaro's can drive away...... I think there is one s2000 from king motor sports (last year anyway)...i think he did ok on the smaller tracks but not enough hp on the bigger ones.

Originally posted by wtz
Temps in the low 80's. I think it was at a FATT in May. I have a lot of time in various race cars at Summit. My Evo is white and has surprised more than a few full-on race cars at various tracks in the Northeast. The SCCA is going to allow the car to roadrace in T2 in 2004 and I am working on developing the Evo.
Cheers,

Quick Reply: lap times from Summit Point