Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Aerodynamics Review

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 05:04 AM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hum?! This guy is talking about a bicycle? In here?!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Unless *****-Tec is referring to not caring about stuffing it into a wall to get those last 3 seconds....
Old Oct 1, 2014, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SS RX7 r2
We'll probably incorporate the hood-pin hole into our next Evo trunk mount bracket, which still would use the stock wing mounting holes.

Rick

If you did that, I'd be all over it. I was already in the process of custom designing a wing-independent method to do a safety latch that braces to the trunk floor plan to help on both bow up and force down distribution. If you incorporated it as part of the mounting bracket, makes my life and probably a lot of others lives easier to distribute the downforce into the frame instead of across the deck lid.

For my purposes, I have a ton of aero changes this winter in the works. The one giant gap is the rear wing. I haven't settled on a design/vendor yet and until I do I can't offset the aero balance shifts. I have one more event before I tear the car back apart for body work/widening work/finishing reparing last track incident. And then I need to start making some decisions on airfoil solutions.

You have a timeframe in mind for that bracket change? We talking 6 months or a year out?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 06:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we started our aero test earlier this week. very interesting results so far. we were working on additional tests today until it starting raining cats and dogs.

we have so far tested the evo with no aero, and with the GTC-300 at max AOA. we have a stock wing, a Ciro designs dual element wing, and if i can make the APR GT1000 dual element wing mount to this trunk i'm testing that as well also have our front splitter to test as well. i will have the rest tested tomorrow because the weather looks like it will be fine.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 07:50 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
sweet. i've decided on the Ciro SE wing due to cost and availability. it seems perfect for what i want and the same as my cost on a GT250 wing. it's also much easier to get ahold of than the Kognition part.
i'm making my own splitter with a 5" length. i'm hoping between the two, i'll have the downforce i needed to get the stability i want.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 04:11 AM
LCS
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
There is little info on this forum about the Aeromotions wings. Is there a reason why?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Lack of empirical data, high price tag, comparable products in the market for less...I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're all somehow connected.

Originally Posted by LCS
There is little info on this forum about the Aeromotions wings. Is there a reason why?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 08:11 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by Jimmy Javelin
Lack of empirical data, high price tag, comparable products in the market for less...I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're all somehow connected.
agreed. that's one of the reason for my choosing Ciro. they have ALL their data right up on the webpage, in .pdf format. nice price tag, too.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DHP wing for sale;

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ment-wing.html
Old Oct 4, 2014, 03:33 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by FilthyEvo

for the same price, after shipping, i can get the Ciro with endplates of the correct length (judging by the data i've read thus far). all to my specs.
i gotta go new.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a good price! My post was just a general, random, post, lol!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Not sure any of you guys subscribe to Racecar Engineering mag, but there is a great write up on understanding underbody, where they deal with diffusers, rake, wings, and splitters. All with CFD, graphs and wind tunnel examples.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Well one track day in to my use of my 68" Kognition trunk mount and I have bent the trunk. So far this wing took 12 weeks to get is not the best quality and it bent my trunk. But car feels super soild with the extra down force.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 04:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by GTABurnout
Well one track day in to my use of my 68" Kognition trunk mount and I have bent the trunk. So far this wing took 12 weeks to get is not the best quality and it bent my trunk. But car feels super soild with the extra down force.
Did Kognition suggest any sort of under trunk bracing?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
Did Kognition suggest any sort of under trunk bracing?
Nope, in fact the few times I was able to get a hold of him he said stock mounting will be fine for most set ups.

Quick Reply: EVO Aerodynamics Review