Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

EVO Aerodynamics Review

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
getting it all laid out

welded up
Old Feb 4, 2014, 06:44 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ I really like that mounting method!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Oooh that's nice!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:03 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by PCSkiBum_21
getting it all laid out
That is beautiful. The Motorsports section is by far my favorite section of this forum for this exact reason.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old Feb 6, 2014, 08:05 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks nice-

we feel you should be able to stand on a proper front splitter- which is how our car was setup!

typically we also use an aluminum box mount- on a carbon splitter- then some cable support outboard- works great-

cb
Old Feb 6, 2014, 08:07 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jid2
^^^ Whats your Time Attack car doing these days? Trying to not get attacked by time, aka sitting around doing nothing? That's what mine is doing!
just saw this lol-

we ran it a little last year at NJMP- and use it to let clients drive- its always fun to pop someone in it on low boost- and have them run 10 seconds quicker than their porsche cup car or ferrari challenge lol!

right now its sitting- with no turbo kit on it- id love to just unload it- to start out next project.

cb
Old Feb 6, 2014, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very nice write up
Old Feb 6, 2014, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
*****. I need to take a welding class... Maybe I will make that a goal for 2015.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
*****. I need to take a welding class... Maybe I will make that a goal for 2015.
Yea, I need to buy a welder!! Nice job
Old Feb 6, 2014, 10:52 PM

haha thanks guys. it's a pretty simple but effective solution. the frame is definitely strong enough to jump on, i would like to have a cf splitter under it, but there isn't much overhang anywhere from the frame so it's still quite sturdy.

motorsports section ftmfw!
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Its quite interesting reading others opinions on splitter strength. Mine is made out of plywood of all things and there is no way you can stand on it. I look at it this way, its there to split the airflow to stop air going under the car and creating lift and force it over the top to give down force. The splitter doesn't need to be that strong to do that, and isn't itself giving any downforce.

On one Rally Sprint event we had part of the course where every car got airborne. Only 2 of us had splitters, mine out of plywood, the other out of aluminium. Our cars were the only ones that flew and landed level, all others were nose up. To me it proved that the weak plywood splitter worked just as well as the aluminium one.

The plywood is cheap and easy to make, and if its damaged, its easy to replace. I'm making a new one now.

Heres a pic

Old Feb 7, 2014, 08:37 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
Originally Posted by GregM
Its quite interesting reading others opinions on splitter strength. Mine is made out of plywood of all things and there is no way you can stand on it. I look at it this way, its there to split the airflow to stop air going under the car and creating lift and force it over the top to give down force. The splitter doesn't need to be that strong to do that, and isn't itself giving any downforce.
i think that's part of the debate: some of these guys are saying that they see the equivalent of 100lbs or more at high speeds. if it's tilted down at all, just for a split second, i can see how this would be true. it's impossible to keep it completely level at all times and anything with that much surface area would have to have some downforce on it.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 10:46 AM

plywood is just fine for the material, other than it's heavy. i agree that you don't need an extremely stiff splitter becuase it doesn't take direct downforce load like a rear wing. however, the way it works is by speeding up the air under the car by creating a low pressure area. the only way this becomes useful is if the car is actually pulled down towards the track, and if it isn't mounted to the chassis directly, you are losing that potential gain. it will pull the splitter down off the car instead of transferring into the chassis/suspension. not saying it won't work if it isn't as strong, but you are definitely not getting the full potential out of it.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

nollij- Where did you get those turnbuckles?

Quick Reply: EVO Aerodynamics Review