Notices

Dodson Replaceable Stock Filter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodson Replaceable Stock Filter

Anyone going to try this? http://dodsonmotorsport.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=30

They are about $175 not including shipping. I will be doing a change soon and I am thinking about going this route.

Two concerns: How good is the filtration? If the tranny dies, will Mistu deny warranty for using an aftermarket oil filter?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

They have denied claims for people who used a different color sst fluid, so they probably would put up a considerable fight for an aftermarket filter.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

You'd have better luck with the warranty on the filter - the "different color" fluid is not the same specification as the SST-FI that is explicitly called for; as such they have decent footing to deny your warranty if the transmission takes a dive running aftermarket fluid. I don't think the argument on an after market filter would be nearly so strong.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
You'd have better luck with the warranty on the filter - the "different color" fluid is not the same specification as the SST-FI that is explicitly called for; as such they have decent footing to deny your warranty if the transmission takes a dive running aftermarket fluid. I don't think the argument on an after market filter would be nearly so strong.
I think so too. The filter would probably have to fail in order for them to deny coverage. I emailed Dodson asking how the filter works. It seems pretty slick. Here is there reply.

"Thank you for your enquiry.
This filter is the secondary filter in the SST and the DMS filter is a reusable fine stainless steel mesh that is close to the OEM paper tolerance.
The strong high temp magnets also improve the filtering properties by collecting metal particles above and below 30 microns. The bypass valve allows the transmission to still operate if the filter is restricted, also when thicker fluids are used cold it will allow fluid to flow on warm up and close when the fluid has thinned out. An audible noise can be heard when this is operating.
There are 2 filters available, one is the standard size replacement and the other is the larger filter kit which comes with an alloy extension housing, filter element and new O ring seals, both have the high temp magnets."
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Being someone that already went through hell and back with a warranty claim on my old MR (bad ACD pump); Mitsu can/will void your warranty for whatever they want. Fluids, aftermarket parts, user abuse, anything they can come up with.

I'd keep the stocker around and change back if your going to the dealership and think they will be looking closely at the trans. Also depends if your dealer is a stickler or if they r cool.

Honestly though, last time I went to the dealership they tried to call me dumb for saying the trans had a filter..... hence my sig....
Old May 13, 2012, 03:32 PM

paid $180+ship at sheptrans.com ...

Originally Posted by thejoshster
Anyone going to try this? http://dodsonmotorsport.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=30

They are about $175 not including shipping. I will be doing a change soon and I am thinking about going this route.

Two concerns: How good is the filtration? If the tranny dies, will Mistu deny warranty for using an aftermarket oil filter?
just ordered last week for $180+shipping from shepherd transmission [thanx john shepherd - http://sheptrans.com/products/evo-x-...lter-reusable/]. for just $20 more than the quoted OEM price from my local dealership. comes without the housing - just install inside your cleaned original housing.
Old May 14, 2012, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone installed one yet?

I picked up one last week, but haven't installed it yet. I had read there were concerns it does not filter to the same granularity that the OEM paper filter does.

Any comments?
Old May 15, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
"Thank you for your enquiry.
This filter is the secondary filter in the SST and the DMS filter is a reusable fine stainless steel mesh that is close to the OEM paper tolerance.
Originally Posted by TrailBrake
I picked up one last week, but haven't installed it yet. I had read there were concerns it does not filter to the same granularity that the OEM paper filter does.
Above says it all...it does not filter as good as stock. This seems like a poor product; with a transmission so touchy to fluid condition, why would anyone even consider a filter that doesn't filter as good as OEM?
Old May 16, 2012, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Above says it all...it does not filter as good as stock. This seems like a poor product; with a transmission so touchy to fluid condition, why would anyone even consider a filter that doesn't filter as good as OEM?
One could argue it could be just as effective. If filters are close and fluid changes are done much more frequently(5k miles), likely it all balances out.

Which would you prefer? A slightly less fine filter that fluid is changed more often or a gunked up paper filter that might get bypassed anyway?

Put the money you save in filters towards more fluid and I think it will be an improvement.
Old May 23, 2012, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

So is anyone currently using this filter? I would like to hear some real-word experiences as to how well it works.
Old May 23, 2012, 02:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrailBrake
So is anyone currently using this filter? I would like to hear some real-word experiences as to how well it works.
I don't know how anyone is going to be able to tell you anything. It's a filter....it filters.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Subi.convert
I don't know how anyone is going to be able to tell you anything. It's a filter....it filters.
Noting an issue after installing the filter would be something that could be mentioned.
Old May 25, 2012, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
One could argue it could be just as effective. If filters are close and fluid changes are done much more frequently(5k miles), likely it all balances out.

Which would you prefer? A slightly less fine filter that fluid is changed more often or a gunked up paper filter that might get bypassed anyway?

Put the money you save in filters towards more fluid and I think it will be an improvement.
I would rather have the better filtering filter used in conjunction with proper interval fluid changes, how about that?
Old May 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kracka
i would rather have the better filtering filter used in conjunction with proper interval fluid changes, how about that?
+1
Old May 25, 2012, 01:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
I would rather have the better filtering filter used in conjunction with proper interval fluid changes, how about that?
I would rather have real world testing with data then a bunch of internet boyz making rumors about a product they don't even have, how about that?

Quick Reply: Dodson Replaceable Stock Filter