Notices

All About SST Fluid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that is true. it is believed that here in australia the Willall fluid has lead to my TCU failure. It holds an electric charge which in turn fries the temp sensors. I've talked to other users of the Willall fluid and they've experienced similar
Old Nov 20, 2013, 11:10 AM

USE THE OEM SST FLUID - Be WARNED.

I had a 4th gear slipping issue, 20% throttle and north of that. No slip in any other gears, found out it was the Pentosin FFL2 fluid as the issue.
It would catch and slip every 1000 rpms past 3k.
53K miles this week, Mitsu Dealer flushed tranny and replaced filter and put in Mitsu OEM fluid, and the problem is gone, $620 later, ouch.
They were saying that using the different fluid voids the warranty, BE WARNED.
My regular mechanic used the Pentosin fuild and told me it wouldn't be an issue, but it was (Proved by the dealer flush and the proper fluids), now no slip.
My strong advice, stick with the OEM Diaqueen SSTF-1 fluid, worth the extra $$ in case you have any tranny problems under warranty.

History - I had my Tranny flushed 2x at 31K, cause I bought it used and then had it flushed at 48K.

I am starting a Transmission savings acct for a Rebuild, and if it never happens, great!!
Old Nov 21, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GetFoxed
I had a 4th gear slipping issue, 20% throttle and north of that. No slip in any other gears, found out it was the Pentosin FFL2 fluid as the issue.
53K miles this week, Mitsu Dealer flushed tranny and replaced filter and put in Mitsu OEM fluid, and the problem is gone, $620 later, ouch.
My regular mechanic used the Pentosin fuild and told me it wouldn't be an issue, but it was (Proved by the dealer flush and the proper fluids), now no slip.
My strong advice, stick with the OEM Diaqueen SSTF-1 fluid, worth the extra $$ in case you have any tranny problems under warranty.

History - I had my Tranny flushed 2x at 31K, cause I bought it used and then had it flushed at 48K.

I am starting a Transmission savings acct for a Rebuild, and if it never happens, great!!
what did you use to flush the transmission. i curious because i am having the same problem and i am about to change my tranny fuild.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by marlonmck
Quote:

what did you use to flush the transmission. i curious because i am having the same problem and i am about to change my tranny fuild.
How did the dealership flush your SST? I have read, reread and followed the FSM to the letter when I changed my SST fluid. There is no mention of flushing the SST.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:30 AM
Evolving Member

any others having issues using Pentosin FFL2?
there seems just to be only a few that are.
found that diaqueen sstf1 for $140ish 4L on ebay (better than what my deanship quoted me)

going to attempt to do a fluid and filter change real soon.
btw is there any way to check the tcsst fluid level? (dipstick?)
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by NASTYxNAT3
any others having issues using Pentosin FFL2?
there seems just to be only a few that are.
found that diaqueen sstf1 for $140ish 4L on ebay (better than what my deanship quoted me)

going to attempt to do a fluid and filter change real soon.
btw is there any way to check the tcsst fluid level? (dipstick?)
No dipstick. I measured how much I drained out and but the same amount back in.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Anexos
How did the dealership flush your SST? I have read, reread and followed the FSM to the letter when I changed my SST fluid. There is no mention of flushing the SST.
I didn't watch, I assume when the service writer told me they flushed = I assume he meant drained and refilled with the proper fluid. My invoice is charged for the 2 gal of OEM fluid and the new filter.
I haven't had a chance to talk to the mechanic yet or the service writer in person. When I do, I will let everyone know.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 03:43 AM

I had the exact same issue with the Pentosin FFL2 ... switched back to OEM and condition started improving within a few hundred miles
Old Nov 27, 2013, 12:24 PM

I didn't watch, I assume when the service writer told me they flushed = I assume he meant drained and refilled with the proper fluid. My invoice is charged for the 2 gal of OEM fluid and the new filter.
I haven't had a chance to talk to the mechanic yet or the service writer in person. When I do, I will let everyone know.
So I picked up my car, and I did speak to the service writer. They don't just drain the fluid, I asked what the 'flush' procedure entails. He told me they actually hook it up to a pump/vac system that actually extracts all of the fluid from the system. Then they fill it completely again. I've been driving around today, highway and around town. The issue gone/corrected. Still saving for a new tranny, just in case.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
So I picked up my car, and I did speak to the service writer. They don't just drain the fluid, I asked what the 'flush' procedure entails. He told me they actually hook it up to a pump/vac system that actually extracts all of the fluid from the system. Then they fill it completely again. I've been driving around today, highway and around town. The issue gone/corrected. Still saving for a new tranny, just in case.
I have a terribly difficult time believing that they actually "flushed" your transmission fluid. That would require a dedicated SSTF flushing machine, and that is very cost prohibitive, considering the relatively low number of SST equipped vehicles.

If they did, in fact, hook up a vacuum to one of the lines to remove the fluid, I also would wonder (and specifically ask) how they measured the fluid level, since the existence of the plug in the back is still widely unknown to, and even less used by most dealership techs.

My guess is that the writer is completely ignorant of how a SST fluid change is actually performed and just gave you the standard spiel that everyone gets when they have a "transmission flush" performed. I may be wrong, but I have seen this sort of thing way too many times to not be skeptical. I would, honestly, ask to speak directly with the technician if there were any other concerns.

In any case, at least the issue was resolved, regardless of the means by which it was done.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Flushing the transmission is actually fairly simple.
1. Drain the transmission.
2. Service the transmission with 5 quarts of mineral oil (non reactive inert fluid).
3. operate the transmission with the wheels off the ground through all of the gears for approximately 1 minute each.
4. Drain the fluid.
5. Refill the transmission again with 5 quarts of mineral oil.
6. repeat steps 1-6 until the mineral oil comes out clear.
7. disconnect the cooler hoses, and using compressed air or similar, blow as much of the fluid out of the core as possible. (the cooler valve will not open until 77c, so the flush will typically not put fluid in the cooler.
8. Re fill the transmission using the service manual transmission fill and service procedure.

I have done this on a number of transmissions, including my own. This is a VERY effective way of removing an incorrect fluid. The trace amounts of mineral oil that are left in the transmission will have a negligible effect on transmission operation.

I only recommend one fluid for the SST. OEM. The DCT 470 does NOT like FFL fluids. In the other forum there is a thread that I posted specifics as to why.
Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
I have a terribly difficult time believing that they actually "flushed" your transmission fluid. That would require a dedicated SSTF flushing machine, and that is very cost prohibitive, considering the relatively low number of SST equipped vehicles.

If they did, in fact, hook up a vacuum to one of the lines to remove the fluid, I also would wonder (and specifically ask) how they measured the fluid level, since the existence of the plug in the back is still widely unknown to, and even less used by most dealership techs.

My guess is that the writer is completely ignorant of how a SST fluid change is actually performed and just gave you the standard spiel that everyone gets when they have a "transmission flush" performed. I may be wrong, but I have seen this sort of thing way too many times to not be skeptical. I would, honestly, ask to speak directly with the technician if there were any other concerns.

In any case, at least the issue was resolved, regardless of the means by which it was done.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 10:44 AM

I am so glad you doubt the service writers. And yes I talked to the tech about the service, I worked as a mechanic for a few years, I understand how this all works.
The only reason I don't flush it myself, is because I make enough to pay someone else to get dirty for me.
I spoke with the tech and he explained the flush and machine (removed fluid from the case, lines, and cooler), no, i didn't go examine the flush machine, but i know the tech and the guy doesn't skimp on any kind of service work. I didn't ask about levels, but you know what, it doesn't matter, because the problem is fixed.
Maybe you should go to a better dealer if you don't trust the service writers and techs.

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z

Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:39 AM

i have a 2010 RA, with 56,400 miles, and about to do my 2nd round of tranny fluid change. i used VW DSG back when i had 36,000 miles, and its extremely sad that people have to save money for a new tranny. this shouldnt be! especially for a 28k+ vehicle. im almost done paying my RA, so im not thinking of trading it in yet, but trading back to my Civic Si is looking very tempting. damn you Mitsu! i thought because it was imported from Japan, that i could have no worries over the Civic Si. now im worried about a tranny that could cost me (including labor) upwards to a new car. sad i really loved me RA
Old Dec 6, 2013, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pepsi_merch
i have a 2010 RA, with 56,400 miles, and about to do my 2nd round of tranny fluid change. i used VW DSG back when i had 36,000 miles, and its extremely sad that people have to save money for a new tranny. this shouldnt be! especially for a 28k+ vehicle. im almost done paying my RA, so im not thinking of trading it in yet, but trading back to my Civic Si is looking very tempting. damn you Mitsu! i thought because it was imported from Japan, that i could have no worries over the Civic Si. now im worried about a tranny that could cost me (including labor) upwards to a new car. sad i really loved me RA
Yes the transmission is expensive to service, but there is no need to worry about the gear box. It is an exceptionally strong transmission, and is over built for it's application by a large margin. So long as no one screws it up with bad tuning, and it is serviced properly it should give you years of service. If the clutches wear out, replace them before they go to total **** and cause damage. This is no different than a conventional gear box. If your clutch is shot, sooner or later you are going to wreck something inside the gear box.

They can be expensive to repair, however they are repairable should something happen to it that causes it to stop working properly.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

Not sure if it's been posted before, but here is what is used in the SST.

Transmission Fluid Type: Castrol BOT 341

Ford Part number: XT-11-QDC
Volvo Part number: 1161838
Mitsubishi Part number: MZ320065

AKA Mitsubishi DiaQueen SSTF-1
Found in the video: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...t-webinar.html

I performed the fluid and filter change at around 40k miles with DiaQueen SSTF-1. I've now put 10k miles on the new fluid without a single hiccup.

Quick Reply: All About SST Fluid