Notices

Extreme Jerking when doing a rolling stop in normal mode...

Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The jerking always happens to me in first gear while in stop'n'go traffic. I found out if you switch to manual and keep it in 2nd unless you are completely stopped it doesn't do it. A feature of the TC-SST is to release the clutch when coasting at slow speeds or when stopped(reduces wear???) I believe the jerking is the clutch re-engaging.

I have also had the clunking/jerking while slowing down. When the car is in 2nd gear and it thinks it needs 1st gear next it will select 1st gear on the other clutch but when I speed up it confuses the CPU and it has to switch to 3rd really fast.

Thats just my 2 cents.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't believe all this talk and no one has said this is normal. Plus there's like a 100 other threads about this. You have to anticipate the jerking. When you let off the pedal and coast, just blip it softly so that the SST will get in the right gear, then hit the pedal. In normal mode it wil stay in 5th or 6th gear even at 20-30 mph, so if you mash the pedal the SST has to shift from 6th to 1st or 2nd and that's when you get the rear-ended clunk.
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same exact problem with my SST. I took it into the dealership and I went for a drive with the technician. They told me it was just shifting into the correct gear after a slow down and it is normal for the SST. They told me the SST does a lot of stuff like that because, as we all already know, it is a very unique transmission.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:28 PM
Evolving Member

What I'm experiencing I wouldn't call "normal" As I can't seem to reproduce it. It doesn't happen under hard breaking, it seems to happen randomly. If I could reproduce the behavior I would agree with some of the statements. If anyone is willing to give me a precise example on how to reproduce the behavior then we can go from there. I'm all for figuring it out even if it's "normal."
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To exhibit the normal problem, get up to 50 mph in 6th and let off the gas. Brake the car to about 20 mph then get back on the gas. In general, you get this anytime you push the gas pedal and the SST is 3+ gears from where it should be. That's why you want to just blip the pedal before you actually push it.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 05:28 AM
Evolving Member

I'll give it a shot!
Old Jul 7, 2009, 06:03 AM
Account Disabled

I've experience this numerous times as well...one time so bad that I thought the transmission just fell out of the car....I was able to figure out that it was actually my Cobb tune that was causing this. I switched to a different map and the problem dissapeared. Sure enough, when I switched back to the original map, I could reproduce it almost every time and the transmission made more noise on a regular basis. The new map has allowed for very smooth transitions between slowing down and speeding up in traffic as well as smoother shifting between all the gears.

I have noticed, like one person stated, that if you blip the throttle it does help, both when resuming motion from a sudden stop and pulling out from a complete stop. Careful that you blip it under 2k, though, because if you blip it over 2k then the car will jerk.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 12:03 PM

I have the same symptoms with my SST...no mods. When leaving my parking garage I have to pull up within a foot or two of the exit gate before it opens, nearly shat myself a few times after almost being pushed through it thanks to the 2 to 1 shift (more like a mule kick). Also, sometimes I feel like the clutch takes a long time to engage, usually when I leave in morning.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

I have experianced this at low speed also
Old Jul 10, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well .. 1st thing I suggest is check the mileage and change the SST filter if you're above 3-5000miles ..

so far as I checked .. the initial debris buildup from the brand new transmission clogs up the filter quite badly during the initial run in .. and once above 7-8000miles .. the debris buildup reduced by quite alot ..

I can't link hesitation / jerking to this .. but the transmission runs on pressure .. and the clogged filter blocks the return oil quite badly ..
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:00 PM
Former Sponsor

I hate this problem, I'm ready to return it. It feels like it doesnt downshift and engage fast enough so it kicks. now i just beat the **** out of it hoping to take it in for 10 new trannies.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:48 PM

Mine does it too under very light throttle or engine braking at low RPMs. Seems to happen more often with extra people in the car. Did a recent teach-on and that didn't change anything.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by white01ss
Mine does it too under very light throttle or engine braking at low RPMs. Seems to happen more often with extra people in the car. Did a recent teach-on and that didn't change anything.
Mine dose something like this also, I’ve been experiencing some strange, what I can only describe as jerking and from the transmission, the transmission/Car will jerk/jolt momentarily. This is sometimes minimal, with only a slight jolt being felt inside the Car, other times being an extremely violent jolt, equivalent to jabbing the brake pedal for a second. It doesn't happen when shifting and only under the below conditions, the effect can be extremely harsh at times.

My observations are that it doesn't do it at all in Auto (All Three Modes) only Manual and most noticeable in S-Sport. I have also noticed that it is mainly on overrun/maintaining speed, for example when following slow moving traffic and when lightly tipping in and out of the throttle at lower speeds/rpm, potentially when the transmission is preparing a lower gear, I have also noticed it will only do it when within 2nd or 4th, It only presents the issue when everything is up to temperature and been running for some time.

I have PassThruCan and Performing a teach-in resolves the issue for a short while although it soon starts doing it again after a couple of trips.
Old Oct 10, 2020, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bad_Lad
Mine dose something like this also, I’ve been experiencing some strange, what I can only describe as jerking and from the transmission, the transmission/Car will jerk/jolt momentarily. This is sometimes minimal, with only a slight jolt being felt inside the Car, other times being an extremely violent jolt, equivalent to jabbing the brake pedal for a second. It doesn't happen when shifting and only under the below conditions, the effect can be extremely harsh at times.

My observations are that it doesn't do it at all in Auto (All Three Modes) only Manual and most noticeable in S-Sport. I have also noticed that it is mainly on overrun/maintaining speed, for example when following slow moving traffic and when lightly tipping in and out of the throttle at lower speeds/rpm, potentially when the transmission is preparing a lower gear, I have also noticed it will only do it when within 2nd or 4th, It only presents the issue when everything is up to temperature and been running for some time.

I have PassThruCan and Performing a teach-in resolves the issue for a short while although it soon starts doing it again after a couple of trips.
Did you ever figure out anything? Our car symptons are identical. This only happense once my tranny is hit. Also my cob read high knock count accelerating out of 1st gear and this ONLY happens once tranny is hot. Rpm seem to also drop to like 500 when 1st gear stop and go before car rolls a bit and it recovers to normal idle around 800. The Cobb would register the knocks if i try to push gas pedal as soon as i let i let go of brake without letting car roll first. My odd gear slip gauge on the Cobb also shows high slip when first let off gas and goes down as it rolls initially. Ive been avoiding accelerating right after foot off brake until it rolls and slip shows less than 300 to avoid the knocks.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Posted the same problem but my car only jerks in first gear had the oil changed and the filter car has 30thousand miles.
no codes no nothing but what could it be other threads states this is normal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extreme Jerking when doing a rolling stop in normal mode...