Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Fender Roller - Rental at Touge Factory

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2009, 03:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fender Roller - Rental at Touge Factory

Hello everyone...

We have been renting fender rollers to the 240sx community for some time...

We are now extending the opportunity for evo owners to roll their own fenders the "right way."

$50.00 rental fee gets you the fender roller for 5 DAYS total.
A $200.00 deposit will be required at the time of rental.
Once the fender roller is returned, the $200.00 deposit will be refunded.

Anyone interested please feel free to PM me for availability.

thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

so with this tool we shouldnt expect any paint cracking or chipping?
Old Mar 29, 2009, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

you can never guarantee that the paint won't chip or crack when rolling fenders.

I rolled mine with the help of a butane torch... small tiny chips here and there... but none of them you can see from the outside.

All I did was tape (mask) off the surrounding area - sand down, then just get automotive clear spray paint - done.
Had mine for 2 years... no rust or issues.

I did my friend's new G35 coupe last year... chipped like crazy. some even outside the fender.

if you warm up the paint and take your time... you will have very little chipping.
At least for me...
Old Mar 29, 2009, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Buyer beware...

Originally Posted by GrzesieKEvo8
so with this tool we shouldnt expect any paint cracking or chipping?
I was very apprehensive about having my fenders rolled, and I'd gone to AMS who referred me to Dupage Autowerks (who don't roll fenders) and also went to 16 Motorsports (who didn't have the rolling device) and finally ended up at Touge Factory in Elk Grove, Illinois. $45 per rear fender and I was looking forward to having the fenders rolled without being banged on and also with the decreased likelihood of cracked paint.

Were my eyes opened.

I wasn't allowed in the back because of 'insurance reasons' (I personally love being told I can't see what's being done to my vehicle don't you) but after the 45-60 minutes they'd told me the job would take, my gf and I got up to get some air outside and to my surprise, near the back of the shop I see my AS X on jackstands and two guys banging on the fenders with hammers.

After asking one of the employees at Touge about why the roller was not used, I was told it wasn't used at all because the fenders on the X were basically manufactured in such a way that the they'd not benefit from the device.

Not to mention, my black RPF1's are nice and chewed up around the lug nuts now on account of whoever removed or remounted them after the "rolling" job was complete.

Don't get me wrong, the guys in Elk Grove are great. The fender roller may work fantastically on 8's and 9's, but if my experience is anything like what it'd be if you have an X also, well, I'd steer clear of Busse Rd.

On a positive note however, co-workers and friends can ride in the back without the rear tires being gouged out by the fenders... and given the current crisis in the economy, I feel better as I contributed $90 to a local business. How's that for a consolation? Ha ha.
Old Mar 30, 2009, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Thanx for the replies guys..god that crap scares me with how this is a 50 50 chance of ruining my paint.. Might aswell just chop the shizznit and not worry bout cracking paint from fender rolling..
Old Apr 1, 2009, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

de_pellerin_luc

We did not use a fender roller on your car.

Typically to start the process of rolling the fenders, you will have to use a heat gun and a small hammer wrapped in fabric (cotton T-shirt) in our case.

Just to fold the inner lip, for certain cars it's best to not use the fender roller, due to additional pressure being applied on the paint, which leads to a higher chance of chipping / cracking.
Using a heat gun, and a small wrapped hammer... working the fender slowly will prevent the paint from chipping. Once the lip is flattened, and you want to pull the fender out slightly, this is where the fender roller shines!
**We did roll your fenders with no chipping or paint damage - that's the important thing**

Also, didn't you tell us that someone attempted to steal your Enkei's 3 days after you installed them?
and you alignment guy pointed out the damage on your wheels?????

We used a thin wall socket and a torque wrench on all customer's car including yours.
No Impact wrench.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

im interested in doing it myself but i really scared of damaging my fender... i had my friend roll my rear slightly with a aluminum baseball bat and boy was that a bad idea.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor

hahaha...

yeah, baseball bat / metal pipe... not a good idea.
We've been rolling fenders for a good while... we can help you out.

Currently there is a waiting list for the fender rollers.
We have 10 rented out.

Next one should be back Monday.

thanks.