Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs GT500

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X vs GT500

I know this debate has come up here before, I searched and found it; but I'd like some fresh opinions on it now that the Evo X has aged some and the potential of the platform has been brought to fruition. I'm looking to purchase a weekender car; something I can have some fun with and potentially see track time.

I have never liked Ford, but I can not deny the performance value the new (2012-2013) GT500 offers. It is a factory 11 second car that handles well (0.98 Lat G) despite the live rear axle. The amenities it offers are substantial given the performance level and the price tag--54k MSRP. I understand that stock vs stock, these cars are apples and oranges. A new Evo would cost keep 20k in my pocket, which I could surely use to bring it up to the performance level of a GT500. I am partial to AWD turbo performance because I used to own a 2004 STi and loved every minute I had with it--I took that thing through the mountains of Santa Cruz in all conditions and I was always impressed.

I know I will get some impartial answers, seeing as how this is an Evo board, and honestly, I've never owned a pony car in my life aside from my 240z that has a SBC in it--which doesn't even count! I never gave the mustangs a chance, because like other pony cars, they always seemed like pigs to me, but with a curb weight of 3800 lbs (not too far from the Evo X's 3500) and impressive track times, they are becoming harder to ignore.

With the GT500, I could have an 11 second decently handling car that I wouldn't have to touch (I am not afraid nor am I detered from doing modifications to my car) and would have warranty intact. With the Evo, I could possibly save money and having a car that performs just as well or a bit shy from the Shelby's numbers once modifications were done.

Just to be clear, my motive is to attain a (preferably new) car that could achieve a 11-12 second 1/4 time and be capable at an auto-x event as well as provide a fun weekend driving experience--all while maximizing my dollar/performance ratio.

Lastly, I'd rather stay away from comments that suggest other cars for meeting my requirements as I've narrowed it down to these two cars for other personal reasons as well as the aforementioned reasons. I'm mainly looking to get opinions about the potential of the Evo [X] as compared to the GT500--for those familiar with it's performance level.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Theres no comparison in these 2 cars at all! It really comes down to whatever you want/need.

Quote - Just to be clear, my motive is to attain a (preferably new) car that could achieve a 11-12 second 1/4 time and be capable at an auto-x event as well as provide a fun weekend driving experience--all while maximizing my dollar/performance ratio.

If this is what you want, go with the Evo and a few mods.

Last edited by adriano_917; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:42 PM
Evolving Member

go with the gt500, the handling is under rated.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

I say go with the Evo.....

For those who only care about power
* Either motor can hit 1000hp at the wheels. I'd rather have less parts.
* Only one of them will still have 4 wheel drive......
* Only one of them will have traction outside of a 90* sunny day.
* Or you can throw huge tires on it, kill the mileage, kill the wet traction, and get it to hook below 90* as long as it's dry.

For those who only care about handling....
* Solid rear might be fine on a smooth track, but on a bumpy course it sucks.
* Track times mean nothing. With one you're flying within 1 inch of death, the other, smooth and composed. (Any car can go fast, how smooth and unsettling tells you how well it handles)
* Despite the similar weight, the GT500 has a huge amount of weight up front which makes it plow into corners before you use the throttle to rotate.
* You'll be pissed the first time a Miata walks away from you while your car is unsettled over the bumps and you're on the brakes when he's on the gas.

It's like a big sumo fighting a smaller Ninja..... The sumo is strong.... if he can land a punch. In the real world I'd rather be the Ninja all day long

You can get both cars to do what you want. (Evo drag, GT500 handle)
It's just a matter of how you want to do it. Flying within 2 inches of your life, or with a slow relaxed heartbeat. Both are quite fun!

Last edited by acidtonic; Dec 18, 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Breaks -> Brakes.... I should know better ;)
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:40 AM

Why are you even debating? EVO all the way.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:05 PM

Do not like mustang at all
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:18 PM

Don't forget the boss 302 or the Camaro ZL1. The boss is a better track car than the gt500 IMO.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by acidtonic
I say go with the Evo.....

For those who only care about power
* Either motor can hit 1000hp at the wheels. I'd rather have less parts.
Do you know how much it costs to make an Evo have 1000hp?
Don't fool yourself. If you're going for power then displacement always wins.

The GT500 is a monster. I'd buy one over an Evo. I've even been looking at purchasing one once my Evo payment is done.

I don't think it'd be a great auto-x car... more suited for larger tracks. It hands down will beat the Evo in $/performance ratio. It is cheap to make our cars quick. It's stupid expensive to make them fast without blowing up.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

You can get both cars to do what you want. (Evo drag, GT500 handle)
Complete opposite. I hope that was just a typo, heh.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mirkendargen
Complete opposite. I hope that was just a typo, heh.
I think he means make each car perform better at their weakness not what they do well from the factory. I hope that's what you meant...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

Are we only talking about new here? What about a used GTR?

Either way I think since you're on an Evo forum, you're going to get answers partial to the Evo. IMO a tuned Evo is very fun to drive and can be quite reliable. No matter what you do, the Evo will be more composed at speed. If you don't care about warranty, I would get the Evo and mod it.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly I think you will be more happy with an Evo, at leas I would. It's a better well rounded car and for the price can't be beat. If you want a high horsepower car the mustang is a no brained. Test drive both and choose the vehicle based on what your mostly going to use it for. Otherwise you eventually be I unsatisfied.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Go test drive both a see what you ened up liking more. Id love a gt500, also consider what your climate is. If your going to daily driving and its snows id go with the evo, if not i go gt500. If traction is an issue get sticker tires and handeling should not be much of an issue, you can upgrade the suspension.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:45 PM

Get the mustang. I like the evo because it is a great performing daily driver, but if this car will mainly be a weekend fun car, get the mustang. That GT500 will put a huge smile on your face every time you give it some gas. AWD is cool, but high HP/TQ RWD is way more fun. Test drive the mustang. You will always be able to find a decent Evo, but this being the last Shelby car before he died as well as the fact that it is ridiculous in a good way makes me think these will be harder to find later on down the road.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

The Mustangs heart has always been at the drag strip. Sure the performance of the new Shelby boasts some impressive lateral G's but the handling characteristics on a vehicle such as the EVO will satisfy your desire to autocross. As a daily driver I would recommend the EVO vs. The mustang. I just got rid of my 5.0 and the live axle, while it was good, isn't good enough in a curve with bumps...or any surface with bumps and they have a tendency to kick out easily. The evo is more practical in the long run due to four doors and not having to worry about traction at every thought of hitting the gas. Its a great platform to start with. A factory X with a drop in filter and a good tune is capable of running as fast as 12.2s in the quarter. There's your low 12 seconds you asked for...throw in a good Turbo back, cold air, hard piping, and an inter cooler and your in the 11s easily. It does come down to what your specifically looking for. Ford has some impressive tech in their cars but the evo does have available options. I'd go with the EVO coming from the Mustang world its a whole lot more fun to drive...

Quick Reply: Evo X vs GT500