Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

getting an RSX type-s, need help?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2003, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation getting an RSX type-s, need help?!?!?!

ok guys to start off, im not evoboy88, im his lil bro, and im 15, i have a job, adn i have about 5 g's saved adn am going to be saving till i get my car, i am planning on getting an acura RSX-type-s, in black, with volk te-37's in black- 18X9, with falken azenis, or yoko parada's, i am gonna use tein flex coilovers, with edfc, and the new greddy turbo kit, brembo gran turismo brakes, and some other stuff!, what do ya think? will this be good for learnin in SCCA?, will it be a streetable car?, i kno it will be fun,suggestions and help is welcome, i am gonna buy this car used!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Will it be your daily driver?
What type of racing are you going to participate in? (you mentioned SCCA)
Old Aug 31, 2003, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

it wil be my daily driver, prolly solo 2, maybe a bit of rallycross, but yea i jus want it to be a fun fast car!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

How much driving experience have you had in the past? Seeing that you are 15 right now, I assume you don't have any? Though I could be wrong, I've seen plenty of kart racers your age, and they are scarily fast...

Here's the way I see it though, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way. If you don't have any driving experience, how are you going to know that you are capable of handling all the excessive power? How do you know you can handle a stock TypeS? How do you even know that you'll like the car enough that you will be willing to invest that kind of money in the car?

A DC-5 is an ok chassis, but it's just another FF warrior without even an LSD. Have you considered an SRT-4? Sentra Spec-V? Or perhaps an FR setup? Does your first car have to be brand new? Are you sure you want to modify your daily driver to that extend? I notice you're from Illinois and having spent a few years in Indiana, I know what roads are like out there. Are you sure you want to run a full coilover setup with 18X9 wheels? Azenis for daily driver? Are you going to be willing to change tires that often considering the soft compound? What about the rain, and the thunderstorm you guys get out there in the midwest? Are you sure the thin treads will do fine?

For a new driver with next to zero racing experience, you are going to have your *** handed to you in prepared or modified classes when you run solo II. If you just want a car that looks pimp so you'll be a cool kid at your high school, that car is probably the way to go. If you want to have a chance in the racing circle, you're going to have to rethink your plan.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

ok man, u are very helpful, im sorry i wasnt so clear, lol, i do have some track time on my friends karts, most of em are 6spd., capable of like 100!,!!! fun stuff, i also have street time, as i have had my permit for 6 months, i have drivin, my dad's evo, my bro's wrx, and my cousin also has a DC5, he only has exaust, and intake, but yea i have done some crazy stuff in it, and am capable of handling it, i am aware of the azeni's wear, and i am probably only gonna use those as SCCA autocross tires, im prolly gonna run the stock wheels and tires most of the time, it isnt gonna be brand new, but probably a year or 2 old!, and i did look at an srt-4 that a friend at school has, i also looked at a sentra at the dealer, but it pretty much came down to the looks for me, because i have riden in teh srt-4, and my dad test drove the sentra, i like em all, i jus like the looks of the rsx teh best, plus the realiability of honda/ acura's!,

thanks man!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

also, i am not gonna mod it strait out adn race, i am gonna gradually step-it-up, and mod as i learn!, eya i kno those mod. class guys are fast, my dad races in mod with the evo, he's scary to ride with!
Old Aug 31, 2003, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

To be completely honest, I would stay away from the DC5 for a couple of reasons... You seem to want an FI car, so why start off with an NA? And I'll have to go back to the FF, open diff argument. It simply isn't the best platform to build on! And the thing weighs in at what, 2800lb?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I've seen some pretty interesting number on the K series motor but... Just seems like a whole lot of work, for the amount of power that you mostly can't use because you have an open differential on an FF car, you know what I mean?

Oh, by the way... It's spelled G I G A W A T T S.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

oh thnx man, lol i need to fix that, lol well i will keep ur advice in mind man, if i dont get one of those maybe ill shoot for a civic,, or save more and buy an evo, i really like my dad's
maybe ill buy my bro's wrx from him
prolly not, but thanks again!
Old Sep 1, 2003, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Hey man stay away from Greddy... i know it's cheap but for a couple hundred more get cybernations stage 1... greddy has been known for problems on the RSX-s and their producing ****ty numbers... if you plan to go FI... maybe not with Stage 1.. but if you go down to stage 2.. you will for sure need a LSD, and a new clutch...

Just some info for you.. more info at www.clubrsx.com ...another great car is the WRX.. i noticed ure bro has a WRX.. jus outta curiosity... why do u want a DC5 ova the REX?
Old Sep 1, 2003, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

ehhh.., idk i like his wrx alot, but i alos like dc5's alot, i will looki inot the cybernations kit, thnx man!, yea i have drivin his wrx, but iprolly wont buy his cause i have seen what he has done to it(beats the livin hell outa it), and i have been lookin, i might look into those, idk i am jus lookin at ideas, but it will prolly be a DC5, also how much would an LSD for one be, and who makes em?
Old Sep 4, 2003, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

Im younger like you and into a lot of the same things you are although I do more road racing (like NASA) this is just running more with that that the f&f daily driver stuff. Turbo kits on NA are dumb because you say you want reliability I would love to see a 100,000 mile comparison between a turbo RSX and an SRT-4 I think the dodge would win and you'll have a warrenty so on and so forth.

plus I think FF cars suck but thats just an opinion as some out there put up great number but theres a reason there are no FF race cars.

All of this said Id say save all of your mod cash get a nice RSX daily driver and pick up a first gen M3 for the track they handle great stock and have 190 horse if that get too slow there is a stroker kit for 4g to bump it ti 240 horse. Oh yeah you can get them in decent mechanicle shape with shot interiors for 5 grand
easily your mod cash and saving from getting a cheaper RSX

food for thought
Old Sep 4, 2003, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

check out this crew.. they have a featured rsx type-s there.
www.jadecrew.com
Old Sep 4, 2003, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

wow, thnx guy u r really helpin me out, i appriciate the feedback!, i have decided that ima buy one, but ima prolly use my dad's 1979 alpha romeo GTV !!!! for racing!, thnx guys, hmm... how much are srt-4's?
Old Sep 5, 2003, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Quaife, Spoon, Cusco, Kaaz, Mugen... I am sure there are more. Just for the part you're going to spend about a grand maybe more depending on brand... And don't forget about installation, unless you're going to do it yourself? (but you better be pretty good at taking your transmission apart)

And I doubt you can pick up an E30 M3 in decent shape for $5,000. If you find an E30 M3 for five grand, chances are it's a time bomb waiting to blow up. Besides, parts for that car are extremely expensive. Though I must say, I LOVE THAT CAR.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

friend just sold his E30 with out front bumber for 5500 had some mileage but was in good shape and had coilovers w/17's and short shift

SRT-4 is under 20,000 and remember it put about210 to the ground check out Sport Compact to see what you would need to do to get a 200whp RSX

Quick Reply: getting an RSX type-s, need help?!?!?!