Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo/350z/RX8/IS300/WRX?

Old Aug 16, 2003, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SoR
From the list I would pick the Evo but in real life i took the V6 6-speed Accord.
I'll tell you, I had my S2000 getting serviced and one of the sales guys let me drive the Accord coupe V6 6-speed. What a nice car. I have driven the Merc CLK and I am not kidding when I say that the Accord (with leather) is nicer. Everything works so well. BTW, Honda has figured out how to make a properly-damped, smooth-operating flap that Nissan couldn't figure out with the 350Z (for less money, too). Good choice. It would be a great second car.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

I am now considering the G35 coupe also. Initially I thought the price for a G35 would be closer to $40k. The invoice is like $31.5k from what I found. The car is 3440 lbs from what i read. That is damn heavy... but it looks great (skyline) and is definitely a chick magnet.

I didn;t bother to include the STI because it is gonna cost way more than an EVO. To me, an STI = EVO (performace, looks, interior, quality, image). Does not make sense to pay thousands more for a STI if I can get the same thing from an EVO.

I have not test driven any of the cars yet. I would like to get some opinions, test drives, research before throwing my money on the car. I never bought a new car before because I think that is like throwing money into the drain because of the depreciation.

I am leaning towards the EVO. I always love the EVO. It is a legendary JDM car. I have been wanting the EVO for years. Or a skyline. Haha.... These cars are famous in Japan, and Asia. The only thing holding me back now is the quality (interior, paint, etc.) Wish Mitsu could make them better.

I posted the same topic on i-club. It is interesting to see that some of WRX owners are unbiasly choosing the EVO too.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 10:11 PM

just get the EVO period............................................ .......................
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:53 AM

Originally posted by bobaab
dont underestimate rotary man..there's been PLENTY of rotaries that's gone over 200,000 and some even over 300,000 on the original engine. you probably heard bad reliability from people who dont really care about cars and dont take care of the car..just thought id say that because the reliability issues u hear about is from newbie car people.

and make sure u test drive each car! then u can truly see what each car feels like! dont hesitate to test what its made of too
WORD!

Rotary's have a bad rep from people not watching them when they're turbo'd and modded all to hell. The naturally aspirated motors are some of the most reliable motors in the world. 200K easy.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 08:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I'd just get a used M3, a 2001 with 20,000 miles has a KBB for private sale of 38,600, or if you want a cheaper alternative, a 2002 Audi S4 goes for 32,725 with manual transmission, with quattro AWD. Both are luxrious and performance oriented. I personally would prefer luxury to go with the performance.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Evo/350z/RX8/IS300/WRX?

Originally posted by dreamevo
1. 03' Evo 8 - $30,812 MSRP w/ s/f & wing, 271 hp, 273 lb-ft, AWD, 3263 lbs, 5MT (Like its everything except interior)

2. 03' 350Z - $35,040 MSRP Track, 287 hp, 274 lb-ft, RWD, 3225 lbs, 6MT (Like its interior and performance, Dislike 2-seater)

3. 04' RX-8 - $28,300 MSRP, 250 hp, 159 lb-ft, RWD, 6MT (Like 4dr, great interior, cool ext, Dislike 159 lb-ft)

4. 03' IS300 - $31,485 MSRP, 215 hp, 218 lb-ft, RWD, 3255 lbs, 5MT (Like luxury & RWD, Dislike power & torque)

5. 04' WRX - $25,568 MSRP, 227 hp, 217 lb-ft, AWD, 3085 lbs, 5MT (Performance else 1 step lower than evo)

I am considering getting a car. My choices fall among those above. Please tell me what do you think. What would you buy? and why? Thanks!

Either the Z, RX-8, or the evo. If you can live with only 2 seats .... get the Z. In black with rims ... the Z is a heart stopper! However, the evo out handles it ..... but I do like the more-sportcar-like feel of the Z .... short shifter that is up higher than the evo. One big factoe though .... turbocharger. If you must have the turbo, get the evo and 4-get-bout-it!

Remember that a Mazda Speed RX-8 should be out in a year or two, so if you like tghe RX-8, you may want to hold off and see. The same may hold true for Z. So ............. if I was in your boat, I would try and wait to see if the cars come out in turbo, but if you love the evo as must as some of us do .... then get it now. But I find it difficult to believe that u like it over the cars since u haven't jumped on it yet.

The truth is, u can't go wrong with a Z, RX8, or EVO. But the evo seems to be the front runner fgor most of us right now because of what it packs for under $30! Still, I love the look of Z ... although having very small interior space is the trade-off, and the RX-8 needs to be a Mazda speed (turbo) version to consider it in this class.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 06:53 PM
In Timeout

the evo isnt limited and the sti is?? um.. ok... i guess u can say 4500 evos in the entire US isnt limited ?????
Old Aug 17, 2003, 09:15 PM

My best friend has an IS... friggin' beautiful. I love the interior of that car so much. However, not much in terms of performance.

Personally, I'd go with the EVO. It just seems like the most fun car you could get. I think the best compromise of power and luxury is the STi. The 350z is great as well, but I'm with you: 2-seaters are a pain.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

I've enjoyed every minute inside my evo, couldn't imagine any stock car being as much fun. But you can't go wrong with the 350z or G35.

Personally I would go for the G35 since it offers a little more than the 350z with nearly identical perfomance. I would definitely narrow your list down to the evo and G35.

The IS300 is a good all around car, but for the price you would expect more power. My vote is for the evo.

Search this Thread