Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Catalytic Converter Issues!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Issues!!!!

hey guys first off i drive an 03 lancer es. i recently had a check engine light come on so i took it to get checked and the reading that came up was that my cat was clogged, which makes since because the car has been showing all the symptoms of a clogged catalytic such as needing to be in really high rpm's before switching and strange rattling sounds while accelerating. my question is....

1.) can i just remove the cat altogether and just straight pipe to a muffler? if not why?
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

You can as long as your state doesn't require an inspection
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dapperlancer
hey guys first off i drive an 03 lancer es. i recently had a check engine light come on so i took it to get checked and the reading that came up was that my cat was clogged, which makes since because the car has been showing all the symptoms of a clogged catalytic such as needing to be in really high rpm's before switching and strange rattling sounds while accelerating. my question is....

1.) can i just remove the cat altogether and just straight pipe to a muffler? if not why?
You can, but it's not legal. Not good for the environment either. Smog regulations are there for a reason.

If it is the 2nd cat ( under car ) you can get a Magna Flow Cat for it for around $100. It will cost about $30 or $40 bucks to have it welded in.

If it is the front cat ( headers ) you might* find a shop that will replace that cat, if not you will have to buy the header assy. which is around $299 to $325.

If you do it right, you car will last longer and run better. Deleting cats/mufflers are not what it was designed to do.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Metalsoft1
You can, but it's not legal. Not good for the environment either. Smog regulations are there for a reason.

If it is the 2nd cat ( under car ) you can get a Magna Flow Cat for it for around $100. It will cost about $30 or $40 bucks to have it welded in.

If it is the front cat ( headers ) you might* find a shop that will replace that cat, if not you will have to buy the header assy. which is around $299 to $325.

If you do it right, you car will last longer and run better. Deleting cats/mufflers are not what it was designed to do.
I am having a hard time finding a after market front cat less than $375 dollars. I'm in California so it needs to be cali legal. Do you have a link by any chance? And if I can find anything cheap enough how would I go about about asking a shop to replace the front cat and not the whole assembly?

Last edited by Lancerprobs; Jul 23, 2014 at 04:57 PM. Reason: adding more information
Old Jul 27, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a stock header laying in my garage with around 60k miles on it. Was good when I took it off the car. Pm me if you would be interested.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
I have a stock header laying in my garage with around 60k miles on it. Was good when I took it off the car. Pm me if you would be interested.
I don't think I can Pm because my account is new. Either try PMing me or reply to this message. But I'm in California, how much are you looking for shipped?