Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

How do I replace the backlight in the Automatic Stick?

Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I replace the backlight in the Automatic Stick?

Hi guys, I have 2003 Lancer ES, few months ago I noticed that when driving home my backlight (one that eluminates P, D, 3, 2, L etc..) was not on. I tapped the center console thing from the side and it went on. Stayed on for a few days working fine then went off again... but every time tapping the console from the side would make it turn on and stay on. Today its finally done for good, not turning on again. I need to get in there and replace it... how do I open that sucker up? Also any idea what kind of bulb it takes?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In case anyone runs into this issue. I managed to get to the light from the driver side by just tucking my hand under the center column (it has a gap at the bottom and wall is flexible so you can just pull it back). The light is on 2 wires (naturally), and is in a slot, you can pull it out and out without removing center console.

Light is a 12v gardening variety, I belive the socket is called "T-5 wedge". I happened to have some landscaping 12v LED bulbs in that socket, grabbed one of those, a white one with 5 individual LEDs on it, put it in, tucked the bulb back into the slot.

Turned on the car... HOLY $@#T... looks a million times better than stock light. Stock was fillament bulb, which gave yellowish tint to the light, this thing is brilliant white and looks amazing... now Im thinking about switching the white for a blue LED or maybe Green for more badass look.

Anyways, the bulbs usually go for under a dollar if you get them in a pack. I believe I got a pack of 10 for $7 off ebay for my garden lights.

Anyhow, hope this helps someone in the future. And yeah the stock bulb was burnt out (can tell from the characteristic black on the glass when a fillament bulb blows).