Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

04' Lancer! Catalytic probs!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' Lancer! Catalytic probs!

the Catalytic on my 04' lancer es (FeVo!) went out again, and i replaced it about a year ago. I noticed that its not as responsive as it usually is and it's struggling to gain speed as if it has a major exhaust leak.

My questions:
1. Is this a common problem with lancers?
2. Should i invest in a different Cat besides an Autozone brand?

I really love my lancer it's the best car i have invested in and ever owned so please anyone help!
Old Apr 25, 2014, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

If you've gone through one cat in roughly one year I'd check to see if you were running rich mixture wise. But with aftermarket cats they're made with a ceramic honeycomb inside, where the factory cats are mostly platinum with a bit of palladium. That's why aftermarket cats don't last as long and are cheaper than factory cats.

Last edited by RT78; Apr 25, 2014 at 02:21 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by RT78
If you've gone through one cat in roughly one year I'd check to see if you were running rich mixture wise. But with aftermarket cats they're made with a ceramic honeycomb inside, where the factory cats are mostly platinum with a bit of palladium. That's why aftermarket cats don't last as long and are cheaper than factory cats.
Thanks! I already made an appointment at a Mitsubishi dealer to have it checked out, and yes it was only a year when i had my Cat replaced....

so going aftermarket isn't the solution then I'll have to figure something out. Maybe a Cat from a ralliart lancer would be better?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Another member had to have his pcm reflashed for a rich mixture issue, that may be your problem, but an aftermarket cat should last roughly 4 or so years(about 45k to 50k), factory will by far last the longest. Normally they have a lifespan of 75k to 80k miles before they start to fail.