Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting Issues

I did a search, but couldn't find the answer, so I apologize in advance if this is a repeat.

I have a 2005 Lancer ES with 151,000 miles. Recently it has been failing to start intermittently. I will turn the key and get no sound. It doesn't click or turn over, nothing. The headlights, radio, and dashboard lights all come on, but I get no response from the engine. Also, it is not throwing any codes.

What I have done:

The battery is only about 2 months old, so I ruled it out to start with.
I replaced the starter and solenoid.
I tried using the extra key.

I don't really know where to go next, any advice would be appreciated. I was thinking of checking into the ignition switch next, as well as getting my battery and alternator tested, just to be safe. I was wonder what you guys thought though.

Last edited by Hawk87; Mar 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

Could be a corroded ground, I'd check all the grounds for the motor first and clean em all up pretty good if corroded. It helps also if you're familiar with DC circuits, doesn't have to be the advanced stuff, just the basic DC circuit so you have an idea of how a cars electrical system works.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by RT78
Could be a corroded ground, I'd check all the grounds for the motor first and clean em all up pretty good if corroded. It helps also if you're familiar with DC circuits, doesn't have to be the advanced stuff, just the basic DC circuit so you have an idea of how a cars electrical system works.
Thanks, I will look into it.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 10:56 AM

It's your ignition switch if your starter solenoid and contacts are all good.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Archlegan
It's your ignition switch if your starter solenoid and contacts are all good.

Ya, after checking the contacts, I took it in to the mechanic for a diagnosis, and they figured out that it was the ignition switch pretty quick.

I think I am going to try and replace it myself though, anyone have any experience? I haven't found much on how to do it, but it's my understanding that I am going to have to take the airbag off, which should be a new experience for me.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Well, according to my Mitchell sub. you have to take off the upper and lower column covers, steering wheel, the assembly for the turn signals and windshield wipers, steering lock cylinder, and key reminder switch. It's pretty much behind the steering lock cylinder, so it looks like you have to tear the whole steering column apart. It doesn't say how to remove the stuff, or how to disable the airbag system, just shows a exploded part diagram, not much help at all.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You shouldn't have to remove the airbag. I just did a turbo timer. To get access to the ignition switch. There is 3 screws that go from the bottom cover into the too cover. Look under the bottom cover. You'll see a screw by the ignition that's in a deep hole. The other 2 screws are close to eachother towards center of bottom cover. Once all screws are out, you can pop the plastic apart. Be careful with the long tube for the one screw, you can kind of bend it a little forward and pull down to get it out without messing up the ignition