Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

cranking but no start...

Old Mar 8, 2014, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cranking but no start...

driving down road... car shuts off as if turning key off... turns over... positive pressure out of exhaust pipe(so timing is good)...ALL fuses good ... fire to 1 and 4 plugs but not to 2 and 3...switched coil packs and same results... replaced cam positioning sensor... fuel pump(fuel all the way into fuel tube with good pressure) had a code diagnose done 2 code the same with cam sensor another of exhaust and another was o2 sensor. car been running with o2 and exhaust sensor just fine ...car will not start...maybe looking at ECU or the PCM as possibilities? any answers for the no start?
Old Mar 9, 2014, 04:10 AM
Evolving Member

Do you know what the exact code for the cam sensor was? I know the exhaust one was probably a P0420 which indicates an exhaust leak before the downstream O2 sensor, hopefully it wasn't for catalyst inefficiency, if so your one of your converters is restricted. But getting back to the other code if it was P0335 or P0340 there is a service bulletin for that if the motor is MFI. The camshaft position sensor support wears out and makes the motor hard or impossible to start. there is an updated support with oil grooves added for improved lubrication, part no. 1865A128.....By the way my info comes from alldata, and just got a sub for mitchell for additional support.
Old Mar 9, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Do you have voltage or ground to your coil #2?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:12 PM

I have come across additional info. that indicates the ignition module is a strong possibility... any info. for this?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:13 PM

have not been able to get any reading at all from the wires going to the coil pack #2... #1 is fine...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:51 PM
Evolving Member

There is no actual ignition module, there is a transistor in the coil. If it were the transistor, the lack of voltage would follow the bad transistor. Are you getting no voltage from the actual wiring harness itself, where it plugs into the coil?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

According to my Lancer owners manual, the ignition coils have a fuse in the fuse box inside the car on the driver's side, it's the very first fuse on the top left side, 10A, I'd check that too.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:23 PM

I have a 03 evo doing the same thing. Randomly shut off one day driving home from school. Threw a p0335 and p0340 code so I changed both sensors (which the crank was a pain) and same thing. I then put a new timing belt on and checked my timing which came out to be perfectly spot on and now I'm running out of ideas. The car has fired up once since the initial breaking down but hasn't done anything since. Any takers as to what else I can do in my garage before I end up swallowing my pride and college fund at a shop?
Old Mar 30, 2014, 04:35 AM
Evolving Member

I already stated above in the post there is tsb for that, if the camshaft position sensor support is worn you'll get code p0335 and possible P0340 it's from the support being worn from abnormal wear... TSB TSB-07-11-001- The engine may be hard or impossible to start and MFI DTC P0335 and possibly P0340 may be stored due to abnormal wear to the camshaft position sensor support. Oil grooves have been added to the camshaft position sensor support to improve lubrication. It only lists the lancer as the one with the issue but I don't see why it couldn't go for all sub models, it's a commonly used support for these platforms.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 12:21 AM

I went back and had the codes checked again after replacing the cps and the housing and still cant get it to fire up... in process now to replace the crank sensor ... wish me luck!!!!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 02:23 AM
Evolving Member

The biggest help would have been the codes that were coming up, without those we were basically guessing. If one of the codes was for the crank sensor, then that's your problem. I know on GM's before they completely went sometimes the CEL would flash like you had a misfire, and when they did go, they car would just die, and after you wouldn't even be able to crank the motor. There's a good chance that it's the crank sensor, seeing as how you have the symptoms. I just wish I would have remembered the symptoms before reading your last post, but like I said, the biggest help in diagnosing is always the codes. Anyway it's a good thing you replaced the housing, I'm sure that would have given you problems at some point in time, when I get the money for it, I'm swapping mine out for the revised version.

Last edited by RT78; Apr 1, 2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 04:26 AM

Coffee- you know how to do a timing belt change? The CPS is a pita but I've done the motions twice with my evo. If you want step by step instructions then just key me know. One thing to look for as well is to see if there is any damage to the unit itself. Mine was completely fine but I replaced it anyway. Unfortunately it didn't fix my issue and I'm still in the works of diagnosing mine. Don't take this the wrong way but I hope it's your CPS that is broken. It's not an easy fix, but it's a fix.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 06:23 AM

How's it coming? Any new update?
Old Apr 4, 2014, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If the car just shut off unexpectedly and won't start. I would look to make sure the timing belt didn't break
Old Apr 19, 2014, 09:54 PM

well good news folks ... sorry about the delayed report... but after replacing all mentioned before posts and now the most recent being the crank sensor... and inspecting the timing belt as well(which was perfect) the issue has been resolved!!!...YEAH!!!... I did however noticed a leak in the front main seal and went ahead and replaced it while I was in the area...lol!!! thank you all for the words of knowledge... will monitor my page for future assistance if I can be of any help to anyone...