Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

New Timing Belt Clunk & Slight RPM Surge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2014, 04:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Timing Belt Clunk & Slight RPM Surge

Hey all, just joined the forum and just recently got an 04 Lancer ES(completely stock so far) about 1200 miles shy of the 60k mark. Yesterday I took it to a shop to have the timing belt replaced as per the service schedule, when I picked it up after the job I got less than a block away and heard a slight clunk come from the timing cover and the tach slightly surged from 900 @ idle to 1100 and then back down, it was doing this about every 30 secs. or so. Shop ordered a timing belt kit with the belt, 2 tensioner pullies , water pump and gasket. The service manager said they had it running for roughly 30 mins with the timing cover off and didn't have any problem after the new parts were on(I'm thinking the problem was I just shoulda did it myself, but I'm new to imports), they still have it because they're gonna disassemble it and check it out but I was wondering if anyone may have an idea as to what's going on, I was thinking incorrect belt tension possibly?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Start documenting everything!
Old Mar 10, 2014, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Ahh hell, not really the answer I was looking for.....

Well, I 'm gonna jot everything down on a zip drive and hope when I call the shop they tell me they forgot to grease the flange of the tensioner bolt, or that they didn't have quite enough tension on the belt. I know how bad that can get with interference motors.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It may not be that bad. Maybe worse case is you jumped a tooth and timing is off. Are you throwing any codes?

Your rpms definitely shouldn't be surging though. Take it back and make them fix it or if they don't feel comfortable they need to pay for a shop that will. But that's all worst case stuff.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Well, I feel like an idiot right about now. Turns out it was the a/c compressor clutch engaging. They took off the timing cover and double checked the timing which was dead on(I thought as much because it runs and idles perfectly smooth), so when I went to pick it up I started it and let it get up to temp and turned the heat on low. Right after that I heard the "clunk" and the slight surge, I waited for it to settle in, and kept my eye on the compressor. Next clunk the compressor clutch engaged. I guess that's what I get for kinda freaking out and not thoroughly checking for the source of the noise, but I'm used to GM's and that never happened with any of them. The service manager told me that most imports use a different type of compressor, but I've never had one engage when you turn the heat on n not the a/c. If worse comes to worse I'll just pull the compressor out to prevent it from seizing up, install a bypass pulley, and on hot days keep the windows open all the way and drive fast.