Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lancer worrying engine noises (help explain)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer worrying engine noises (help explain)

Alright I'll start off by saying I'm completely broke and have no idea if my car's going down soon because of the way the engine sounds-I'm very worried since it's my only transportation... And my family relies on it:/ it's a 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer ES with an Short ram intake, OBX headers CAT delete well its making a low pitched clunking noise I'm not sure if it's something serious. I'm going to be honest I have an addiction with punching my car to it's maximum and I can't stop no matter how hard I try.. It seems
My car can't keep up with normal traffic I have a car on my *** when I take off cause obviously I cannot accelerate fast enough where people aren't trying to pass me like I'm the slowest piece of **** car on the road I mean I put so much work into this car and I'm no where.. I punch it just to stay up.. I have literally went as far ad ripping all sound deadening out of my car carpet all plastic molding headers/full exhaust the whole trunk anything i can to make less weight I weighed my car and took out 214 pounds all total yet I still have trouble no power in my throttle at all now I have been hot roding my car I'm worried it won't last (152,000) I just want to know why is it clunking why is it so slow literally 14 seconds 0-60 04 lancer es it's
Not the timing belt that has been checked. Please don't criticize me I'm pretty drunk and needed to let this out after worrying for weeks about it just give me
Your ideas on which is causing me these problemez
It's an automatic
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I mean, have you been doing regular maintenance? Tune up? AC on when you have to punch it?

Pro tip: don't come on the forums complaining about your car. We'd probably need more information on what's going on.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just saying a "clunking noise" does not tell us squat. Where is the noise coming from? when does it do it? all the time? Over bumps? slow? fast? while braking? etc. We need more info to even attempt to help you out.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No I have only once punched the gas with the AC on for a 0-60, which was 16 seconds lol.... The car only makes the noise when stopped at a light or just idling. Doesn't matter which gear it's in. Just at idle. Yes I actually change my oil every 2,000 miles instead of the recommended 3,000. I've changed the spark plugs recently. It's a low pitch clunk/rattle type noise it's coming from the engine I'm sure.. How can I narrow the noise down? Also my car has seen a loss in power.. Supposedly the 0-60 supposed to be 9.7 seconds but I'm getting 12-13 seconds sometimes.. I've got OBX headers straight through glasspack catalytic converter is gone and is straight through exhaust with a high flow muffler.. Don't know if my exhaust is too open and making me lose power. Also a short ram K&N which I doubt makes a difference. I mean what noises are normal for are lancer's it's got 150,000 on it.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a compression test. And I would be willing to bet those times are for a manual trans, automatics have more parasitic loss than manuals do plus its not a fast car to start with. Fun if you do it right, but not fast.

And check your motor mounts, if those are shot then it'll certainly make some racket.