Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Front Right lower control arm rear bolt

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front Right lower control arm rear bolt

Hey everybody, first post and looking for some good responses.

So i have a 02 lancer oz and have had to fix alot on it already. Ive run into broken bolts, stripped body mounts and welded rear sway bar brackets on it already. But now im between a rock and a hard place.

I started switching out my lower control arms on both left and right side, got the left off and replaced all fine and dandy. Then started on the right one, got the joint out on the knuckle, the bolt off near the engine, then started on the one closet to the passenger seat, and it just spins. Mind you the bushing is COMPLETELY loose. It just spins when I turn it.

So long story short, i believe that the nut in the body that it threads into broke loose and ive pulled apart the passenger side carpet and such to find out that its in some cavity within the car.

Maybe some one has had this happen to them? Do I have to cut into the passenger floor board to get to it? Or is there something I have overlooked?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Front Right lower control arm rear bolt-dscn2129.jpg   Front Right lower control arm rear bolt-dscn2127.jpg   Front Right lower control arm rear bolt-dscn2128.jpg  
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Have you tried using a flat head screwdriver to try and pry out on the bolt while turning it at the same time?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
this happened to me. not that bolt, but the front one (horizontal).

the problem is that the nut on the other side is held in by a flimsy washer/bracket with fingers bent up against the flat sides of the nut, I had to cut a hole in the subframe to get a wrench on the other side...I don't know why Mitsubishi didn't just weld the damn nut in there...

the control arm bolts to the subframe in both locations, and the subframe is bolted to the chassis, you'll never access it from inside the car unless you cut a hole in the floor, which I don't recommend...you'll need to access the the nut somehow, and then weld a plate in where you cut it. I would just tack weld the plate, and RTV the seam, incase you need to access it again in the future.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Aug 1, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, and its all information I could use in the future. But im more or less just trying to find the spot in the passenger floor board that i have to cut into to get to the bolt im looking for.

But many thanks to the help!!! I appreciate it more than you know!