Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Engine control fuse #8 keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine control fuse #8 keeps blowing

I own a 2002 mitsubishi lancer oz rally 5 speed and just recently like a couple of days ago i went through a car wash that offered a undercarriage wash after the wash was done drove to target and on the way home my engine control #8 fuse blew for the first time taking a sharp left up a hill. It seems to only blow when I go over a bump but at random times. Also when i replace the fuse it will keep blowing them as soon as i turn the key to ACC. i got it looked at and the mechanic said it was my fuse box cause he said he tapped it and it blew the fuse. But the same night when i got out of work i took the fuse box apart and blew into it moved the wires around and tapped it also after i started it with a new 20amp fuse in found nothing wrong and drove around my works parking lot like a mad man to see if it would blow again but nothing blew for 2 days nothing happened and the car ran normal going over bumps and everything the fuse never blew until today its doing it randomly over random bumps and random turns. the mechanic said he could not find any wires under the hood or underneath smacking around. so i really dont know what the problems is could moisture have effect with the fuse blowing? or heat? ive moved the fuse box around while it was running to and moved wires around and nothing the fuse never blew until i go over a random bump
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:29 PM
Evolving Member

Provide more details as in what happens to the car when this fuse blows? Sounds like a grounding/loose wiring issue somewhere. Be as detailed as you can to WHAT HAPPENS TO THE CAR. What does "#8" and where are you getting this number from. The car multiple fuse boxes so "#8" is arbitrary at this point. I wouldn't pay a mechanic that tells you he "tapped" the box and it blew.

Start here, download all 6 and read them if you haven't already.

Thanks to Senate in the troubleshooting thread!!!

2003 OZ Lancer Factory Service Manuals

Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:47 AM

http://carfuseboxdiagram.com/2002-mi...e-box-diagram/
Heres a picture of my fuse box #8 is a 20 amp mini it for my engine control which controls a number of sensors like my mass air flow crank and camshaft sensors and my ignition coils. When this fuse blows out the engine just cuts off no stuttering just rmps drop instantly if the car is at a bad angle sometimes when i try to put a new fuse in and turn the key to ACC it will instantly pop the fuse until i get it to a more flat surface
Old Jul 3, 2013, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Poltergeist
http://carfuseboxdiagram.com/2002-mi...e-box-diagram/
Heres a picture of my fuse box #8 is a 20 amp mini it for my engine control which controls a number of sensors like my mass air flow crank and camshaft sensors and my ignition coils. When this fuse blows out the engine just cuts off no stuttering just rmps drop instantly if the car is at a bad angle sometimes when i try to put a new fuse in and turn the key to ACC it will instantly pop the fuse until i get it to a more flat surface

Awesome man!

By mini it sounds as if youre referring to a smaller fuse that still has a 20amp max? Try a new fuse type but larger (in size not amps). These cars have quirks that make no sense sometimes.

Is it throwing any DTCs or CEL lights, before the fuse blows, if so what are they? Ive seen Check engine led bulbs burn out, if so in the ACC position the CEL should come on. If not its a easy fix. Do you have any aftermarket parts that would affect this fuse, if so what do you have (aftermarket sensors, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, etc, and aftermarket gauges included)? Its very apparent after your subsequent post that this is critical so I must commend you for being thorough.

It sounds like you have a grounding issue with having the angle of the car adversely and directly correlating. If youre not throwing a CEL (check engine light) to obtain DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes causing a CEL to be thrown) it just makes matters a bit more difficult. So lets say its a bad grounding or wiring issue with your MAF then I would think youre going to see a relating DTC.

Let me know about DTCs if you have any, and if not you may want to start with checking your MAF harness (easiest of all to check first), if its old or has any corrosion. (buy some MAF cleaner and clean it well) And subsequently check your MAP sensor on your intake manifold just above where the throttle cable bolts on.

This should get you started but try and see if youre throwing any codes and if indeed your led for your CEL works. This could direct you where to start looking but like I said, if no codes are being thrown you can start with the sensors I suggested above..

Good luck! PM me on your next post in case I dont happen to see it!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 06:37 AM

undercarriage wash might have got into some component or into a body cavity etc., when you hit turns or go over bump "JUST" right, water sloshes creating a short and blowing the fuse.. as to what component, I have no idea as I'm still new to this Lancer thing. Could eventually evaporate and cure itself.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Slim Chance
undercarriage wash might have got into some component or into a body cavity etc., when you hit turns or go over bump "JUST" right, water sloshes creating a short and blowing the fuse.. as to what component, I have no idea as I'm still new to this Lancer thing. Could eventually evaporate and cure itself.

Maybe but considering being on flat ground and if his undercarriage scuff plate is still intact its unlikely. And the fact that level ground it performs fine but on incline blows a fuse. His post is old enough to evaporate anything.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:34 PM

Yea sorry for the late reply guys I fixed it. It was a open wire that was shooting a spark out every so often and hitting part of the chassis was right next to the fuse box to. I cant believe i wasted 40 dollars for my car to get a electric diagnosis at my work for them to say it was my fuse box when my fuse box isnt a circuit board it just has a harness with wires running into it. Thanks for the help though!!
Old May 13, 2015, 12:13 AM

can you post picks if the fuse and where its at

I have this issue now please
Old Aug 15, 2015, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bought a 2002 lancer gdi engine in April, been busy havent got a around to get it fully ready. The previous owner havent drove it in years. what are the parts i should change???? oh i noticed that whenever i get to 2000rpm or higher the gdi eco comes off