Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Fast Tapping/Clicking noise while in Drive 2004 Lancer ES.

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Tapping/Clicking noise while in Drive 2004 Lancer ES.

Alright, this noise doesn't happen sometimes.. But when I'm stopped at a red light or stop sign I get this fast clicking/Tapping sound. I don't know if it's coming from my engine I can only hear it from inside the cabin it seems like it goes away when I put it in neutral or Park. When I press on the gas the noise is completely gone and does not get faster or louder with accelerating but goes away. I opened my hood while in drive with the ebrake and listen with a long piece of wood to the internals but couldn't head the noise inside.. It's really bothering me I need to know if its serious I have no money for the mechanic and the car has oil I have in it 3 quarts lucas 10-30 then. The stabilizer for newer computer controlled cars..any suggestions would be great thank you so much.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm? You have 3 quarts of oil in it total or 3 quarts of Lucas and 1.5 of something else?
Old May 9, 2013, 03:33 PM

I've been told it's the lifters and really not a serous problem. Mine does it on cold mornings when I first take off, it'll only last until I get about 50 yards down the road then quit.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:01 PM

It has 3 quarts of Lucas 10w-30 and 1 quart of the Lucas oil stabilizer, it does go away SOMETIMES.. But:/ it makes the noise most of the time it's annoying I use Mobil gas in it. Not sure if that's a good gas company it's 3.78/gal vs. 4.00/gal it started making that noise probably after 2 months of using that gas station. Anything I can add too clean the lifters.. I don't think I can stand the noise much longer even though it's
not loud it just worries me if it goes down I have no transportation.. Any ideas please?
Old May 9, 2013, 10:43 PM

It doesn't sound like a problem with your fuel system at all. Though there are a few things you can do if it'll make you feel better. I.e. new fuel filter, fuel system cleaning( cleans throttle body and injectors). Ticking/tapping is a fairly common thing with lancers. Have heard from many mechanics that its supposed to sound like a sewing machine. If you haven't been properly lubricating the engine( getting regular oil changes every 3000 miles) it will deffinatly make the noise louder.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 10:51 PM

Clicking noise in 2002 mitsubishi lancer oz rally cause and solution

The reason for the clicking noise you are hearing is due to poor oil maintenance. Check your cars oil if it is low which it most likely will be, add a half a quart to a full quart as an immediate solution for the time being. You must go get an oil change ASAP, and continue to get oil changes every 3000 miles. Use 10w 30 high mileage mobile 1 full synthetic oil if your car is over 100000 miles. If it is below I recommend you use 5w 30 mobile 1 oil. Non turbo mitsubishi lancers are supposed to take 5w 30 conventional oil but my 2002 mitsubishi lancer oz rally has over 175000 miles and is still running strong because of my switch to full synthetic. Your welcome!
Old Mar 25, 2014, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

It could be one(or a couple) of your lifters are a bit gunked up causing a bit of clatter, not a major issue. There is a procedure for cleaning the lifters, but they have to be removed from the car and cleaned with diesel fuel. Next oil change switch to full synthetic, they typically have a better additive package as far as keeping things clean goes.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:36 AM

This happens with my 2005 lancer if the oil get too low.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

As part of the maintenance schedule, the valve clearance is supposed to be inspected/adjusted every 60k, may be time for that inspection.