Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

LED Strip Lights Q

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 03:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LED Strip Lights Q

I installed a small yellow LED switch next to the dimmer wheel,and the one strip of LED lights I currently have installed have been running off external batteries. The strip lights I purchased have positive and negative wires and that connects to positive and negative terminals on te battery pack. My first question is where would be te best place in that area to wire these switches in, and what wires exactly would I solder or crimp them to? Also, the switch has 3 prongs positive negative and ground and it has an LED light inside it that lights up yellow when it's flicked on. Do I need to ground the switch? I own a 2002 OZ Rally. Thank you.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 04:47 PM

ive been looking for the same thing to no avail. im putting in a switch for fog lights and it seems like nobody knows
Old Apr 8, 2013, 04:44 PM

I was told to wire it to an empty slot in the fuse box but I don't know enough about wiring to know exactly how to do that and keep the proper amount of voltage without blowing the fuse because I plan on running at least 4 different strips of LED off this one switch if not more. They're only 12V strips I believe. I was also told to run it straight to the battery but that seems a little hazardous and unnecessary. We most likely have the same spot we would need to wire to considering if your lancer didn't come with fog lights stock there would be no fuse ready made for fog lights.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

I have LED strips in the driver and passenger side, by where your feet are. I have them wired to the cigarette lighter ring light so that they only turn on at night when i flip on my headlights. I also also wired them to a on/off switch in the event that I don't want them on for whatever reason.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ace King
I have LED strips in the driver and passenger side, by where your feet are. I have them wired to the cigarette lighter ring light so that they only turn on at night when i flip on my headlights. I also also wired them to a on/off switch in the event that I don't want them on for whatever reason.
That is a great idea actually I don't know why I didn't think of that. For the time being though, because eventually I wanna hve a dedicated fuse for all the lights I plan to hve. Tyvm!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:40 AM

It is helpful to me,thanks
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M_DeeZy
That is a great idea actually I don't know why I didn't think of that. For the time being though, because eventually I wanna hve a dedicated fuse for all the lights I plan to hve. Tyvm!
I hear you - but what's the advantage of having a dedicated fuse to them? (that's an honest question, I dont know the benefits of this would be so im interested)

The cig lighter light is regulated by the same fuse as the the ash tray light and corner marker lights (on the side of the headlights). You can swap out the 10 amp (i think that's what amp it is) for a 15 amp fuse. However, I ran it light this for years before the fuse gave out recently and i just replaced with a 15 amp, no issues
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:56 PM

I guess the only difference would be that I would only lose my LED strips if I blow the fuse as opposed to blowing my cig lighter and ash tray and side lights but its probably more trouble than its worth to dedicate a fuse. I'm probably just gonna do exactly what you said lol.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by M_DeeZy
I guess the only difference would be that I would only lose my LED strips if I blow the fuse as opposed to blowing my cig lighter and ash tray and side lights but its probably more trouble than its worth to dedicate a fuse. I'm probably just gonna do exactly what you said lol.
lol i agree. I blew the fuse and the cig, ashtrey , corners and leds went out but all it took was 1 fuse and they were back up.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
As far as the switch goes, I put mine beside the dimmer switch. I ran a wire directly from my connection to my fuse box under the hood. I bought a 12 gauge wire and soldered in a fuze connection that had the same gauge wire. Radio Shack has a lot of different connections for fuses. I wired this to the positive on the switch. Then I took the ground connection and wired it to a good connection on the chassis. Make sure you don't use a connection where there is paint. After that, take the ground from your lights and connect it to the chassis as well. Preferably same place as previous step. Finally connect the positive on your lights to the 3rd prong on the switch.