Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Fixing 2003 Lancer LS Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing 2003 Lancer LS Nightmare

I have recently spend over $1k trying to fix what I thought was a simple problem.

It first started shacking real bad and I was told that my motor mounts were bad, so I ended up replacing all three motor mounts. Still idled real bad, I then had it scanned for codes and this code came up (P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected). I have changed both coil packs and place new wires and have replaced with new spark plugs that are require for this car. Nothing happen, code still remain, then the car started turning off on me when I was in idle mode or coming to a stop while having the A/C on. They told me is was the compressor, had that replace with the whole kit and nothing.

I found out that there was a couple of computer recalls that could have been causing the issue, went to the dealer and had it fixed and nothing. Still turn off while idling or coming to a stop and lets not forget the shacking.

I found on this forum that it could be that I needed to clean the throttle body and so I did that and still nothing and still getting the same code. I replace the O2 censor and nothing. They told me it was because of a worn out Caty so I replace that and guess what?? NOTHING!

What in the world is causing this to happen, oh yeah I almost forgot, now I have a new issue that started yesterday. As long as I don't step on the gas too fast that car runs fine, but when I try to accelerate or punch the gas, suddenly it shakes and looses total power and if I don't take my foot off the gas it will shut off.

I'm ready to just chuck the car away but I cant afford a new one or an old one for what maters at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Pastor DV; Mar 19, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:42 AM

bump,

Any help?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:43 AM

make sure the timing is correct. did you have the timing belt changed recently?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:44 AM

and if you think you're gonna get help in 10 minutes on this forum its time to come back down to reality. there's like 10 active posters here these days. I am one, and i have no idea what i'm talking about
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by ishotphish
and if you think you're gonna get help in 10 minutes on this forum its time to come back down to reality. there's like 10 active posters here these days. I am one, and i have no idea what i'm talking about

Thats funny, no expectation but reality is that if I dont bump it it will just go to back of the line and I want to make sure people see this.

Thanks for any info,

As to the timing belt I changed it about 3 years ago when it went out.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the car running hot or overheating at all ?
Does it hard start ?
Do all of the lights and other electrical devices work normally ?
If the car is in neutral does the engine idle normally, does it rev freely too ?

Are you able to do a compression test ?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Is the car running hot or overheating at all ?
Does it hard start ?
Do all of the lights and other electrical devices work normally ?
If the car is in neutral does the engine idle normally, does it rev freely too ?

Are you able to do a compression test ?

As to the overheating, I haven't had a problem as of yet. I have no problem starting, it usually fires right up. Well since yesterday's issue it has been a little slugish when starting. The only thing electronic that is not working and its actually more of a light bulb is the check engine light but everything else works fine. In the idle position it idles fine, that is if I don't turn the A/C on.

Not sure how to do the compression test or what it does.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does the engine rev normally while the transmission is in neutral ?

Check the Idle Air Control valve.

Last edited by 2006_RA; Mar 19, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's a non-turbo lancer right? If so, check your timing belt again. If it's turbo check for boost leak.
If those are good then do as previous suggestions - compression and then leak-down test.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, you said the belt went out. What steps did you take to fix the whole situation?
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd clean the mass air flow sensor and clean the throttle body and like 2006_ra said check the idle air control valve too. Make sure the plugs for all the maf and throttle position sensors are in and connections aren't dirty or corroded
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ev0ikon
It's a non-turbo lancer right? If so, check your timing belt again. If it's turbo check for boost leak.
If those are good then do as previous suggestions - compression and then leak-down test.

Thanks,

Hope this is the answer im too broke to continue replacing parts but Im too indebt to quit now
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Green_Bandit
Yeah, you said the belt went out. What steps did you take to fix the whole situation?

I had a mechanic fix my belt, not sure what he did. Too be honest I'm not the brightest crayon when it comes to cars. Thank God I have a good friend that does most of the work on my vehicle, between him and I we are trying to get answers for this situation.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Automatic 51
I'd clean the mass air flow sensor and clean the throttle body and like 2006_ra said check the idle air control valve too. Make sure the plugs for all the maf and throttle position sensors are in and connections aren't dirty or corroded

Not sure about the mass air flow sensor but I know for sure we clean the throttle body and we were hoping that was the answer since the throttle was full of gunk. However that didn't work, as to the plugs and cables I will give it one more look just to make sure as well.

Thanks,
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

cylinder 2 fuel injector. check it. could be clogged or malfinctioning.

Quick Reply: Fixing 2003 Lancer LS Nightmare