Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Vibrations in acceleration/deceleration

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vibrations in acceleration/deceleration

Anyone here experience it?

Lately, I've been driving my car and experiencing these vibrations in acceleration and deceleration. In the beginning it was vibration in acceleration. This morning it's been deceleration, too. I've been thinking it could be an alignment issue, possibly the wheel bearing, but the tires seem to be fine (no uneven tread wear/chunking of tires) However, I'm thinking it could also be an issue with the transmission? Eh, anyway. Any feedback would be highly appreciated. Thanks guys.

-E-

2002 OZ Rally Edition.

Random thought: Hey, I've been a member here for 10 years. Interesting...

Last edited by Dreamartist; Nov 29, 2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Noticed I've been here for 10 years.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start with a wheel balance and check your engine mounts. Could be a ball joint issue too.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:58 PM

Alignment and balancing your wheels might be a start?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
had this issue, found out it was the gearbox top mount ****ed.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

That would be a great start. Let's see how this goes. Thanks, folks.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:22 AM

How do you tell if the transmission mount is bad cause I have the same problem I just replaced the tie rod ends I can put up pictures if need be I really need some help my uncle thinks its the transmission cause it was pretty much dry but it shifts fine no wheel vibration just the front end vibrates real bad when I acel and decel
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 02LancerRally
How do you tell if the transmission mount is bad cause I have the same problem I just replaced the tie rod ends I can put up pictures if need be I really need some help my uncle thinks its the transmission cause it was pretty much dry but it shifts fine no wheel vibration just the front end vibrates real bad when I acel and decel
Put a jack under the tranny and lift it up to take the weight off the mount then unbolt it and pull it out and do a visual inspection. If the material in the mount looks ripped and not solid then it's bad.

I would check your front brakes too to check for warped rotors.

Last edited by 03lances; Dec 4, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 03lances
Put a jack under the tranny and lift it up to take the weight off the mount then unbolt it and pull it out and do a visual inspection. If the material in the mount looks ripped and not solid then it bad.

I would check your front brakes too to check for warped rotors.
Thanks will do
Old Dec 8, 2012, 01:12 PM

So I found bad mount's

so here's two of the mounts that i have checked so far the top trans mount looks like it may be gone that bottom one is gone i know for sure but they said that there is a rear as well still have to check that one so thats prob where my bad vibes are coming from lmao
Old Dec 8, 2012, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

There are 4 mounts total. You have the weight bearing mounts which are the two that you can see from above. (One by the accessory belts and the other by the battery) Then the other two are the torque mounts, these are bolted opposite the weight bearing mounts. One is connected to the center member underneath and the other you can see if you pull off the intake tube and look down by the intake manifold by the firewall.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:55 AM

<p>
There are 4 mounts total. You have the weight bearing mounts which are the two that you can see from above. (One by the accessory belts and the other by the battery) Then the other two are the torque mounts, these are bolted opposite the weight bearing mounts. One is connected to the center member underneath and the other you can see if you pull off the intake tube and look down by the intake manifold by the firewall.
</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Thanks yeah I'm using alldata DIY and it was only listing like 3 mounts for me so I was kind of lost when they told me four is there a way to tell if that top motor mount is bad can't really see any rubber on that one I'm wondering if I should just try to replace them all because who I bought it from was in a front end collusion not to bad of one but enough to break the head light brackets and smash the passenger side rad fan into the ac compressor and splice the wires for it</p>

Last edited by 02LancerRally; Dec 9, 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Might not hurt I dont think new mounts are very expensive. The torque mount back by the firewall is a pita to get in and out. You can pull both torque mounts out without engine support as these do not support any weight from the engine. You will likely want to disconnect the downpipe as well. This will allow you to twist the engine and make getting to that rear mount a little easier, still a pita though . Carefull of the rad and fans my want to pull the fans out too and pull the exhaust manifold so as to not risk putting a hole in it.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:56 AM

Might not hurt I dont think new mounts are very expensive. The torque mount back by the firewall is a pita to get in and out. You can pull both torque mounts out without engine support as these do not support any weight from the engine. You will likely want to disconnect the downpipe as well. This will allow you to twist the engine and make getting to that rear mount a little easier, still a pita though . Carefull of the rad and fans my want to pull the fans out too and pull the exhaust manifold so as to not risk putting a hole in it.
I priced all four 102.00 was the cheapest I found the top motor mount for the two lower mounts are going for around 60.00 same for the transmission mount
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

LOL...had this exact issue about a month ago....both front and rear were gone, and were most likely the originals....Picked up brand new one for about $100. Took about 2 hours to swap em out.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Grind3r
LOL...had this exact issue about a month ago....both front and rear were gone, and were most likely the originals....Picked up brand new one for about $100. Took about 2 hours to swap em out.
Where did you get yours from that's cheap lol

Quick Reply: Vibrations in acceleration/deceleration