Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

04 Lancer - AC Intermittent / No AC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 04 Lancer - AC Intermittent / No AC

I live in Florida, AC is essential here. I've had the Lancer as my Daily for about 6 Years. Ac worked flawless until the last year or 2. I've kind of dealt with it but I need to get this addressed. Car has about 130,XXX miles on it.

Here's whats happens :

The AC will run cold randomly and then randomly blow hot air, when it blows hot air I notice that the compressor stops cycling/clicking.
I checked and the compressor clutch stops spinning.
Sometimes it just wont blow any cold air at all, its very selective. I figured it needed freon, so I had a buddy who had the proper tools drain it and refill with proper freon. It blew freezing cold( was at night ) and it held pressure, then the next day noticed the same thing , started blowing warm air intermittently.
I notice also if it is blowing cold air and I accelerate hard , the air will become hot and the AC compressor will stop cycling. As of now it seems to be getting worse and blows hot air way more than cold.

Bad Compressor, Maybe a leak in the line ? Any suggestions would be appreciated..

About a year ago I went to Pep boys because they sent me a free AC diagnostic coupon. Went there and of course it was blowing cold AC . So they hooked up a diagnostic tool or two and said everything looked fine, said maybe its a solenoid of some sort but didn't run a test for leaks.

Is their a DIY leak test or should I take it to a specialized AC shop and have them diagnose it ?

Thanks again.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Photool
I live in Florida, AC is essential here. I've had the Lancer as my Daily for about 6 Years. Ac worked flawless until the last year or 2. I've kind of dealt with it but I need to get this addressed. Car has about 130,XXX miles on it.

Here's whats happens :

The AC will run cold randomly and then randomly blow hot air, when it blows hot air I notice that the compressor stops cycling/clicking.
I checked and the compressor clutch stops spinning.
Sometimes it just wont blow any cold air at all, its very selective. I figured it needed freon, so I had a buddy who had the proper tools drain it and refill with proper freon. It blew freezing cold( was at night ) and it held pressure, then the next day noticed the same thing , started blowing warm air intermittently.
I notice also if it is blowing cold air and I accelerate hard , the air will become hot and the AC compressor will stop cycling. As of now it seems to be getting worse and blows hot air way more than cold.

Bad Compressor, Maybe a leak in the line ? Any suggestions would be appreciated..

About a year ago I went to Pep boys because they sent me a free AC diagnostic coupon. Went there and of course it was blowing cold AC . So they hooked up a diagnostic tool or two and said everything looked fine, said maybe its a solenoid of some sort but didn't run a test for leaks.

Is their a DIY leak test or should I take it to a specialized AC shop and have them diagnose it ?

Thanks again.
Intermittent problems can be a ***** to diagnose. I might start with swapping the relay it could be going out. You can try swapping with another in the fuse block and run for a couple days to see if there is any change. you can also check the signal wire it could be loose.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Intermittent problems can be a ***** to diagnose. I might start with swapping the relay it could be going out. You can try swapping with another in the fuse block and run for a couple days to see if there is any change. you can also check the signal wire it could be loose.
Tell me about it, Ive been trying to figure it out for a while now. I just got around to ordering the climate control gears for technical service bulletin for the sticky knob.

Thanks for the additional input.

I'll take a look Tomorrow morning, The fuse box in the engine bay correct not under the dash ?
Also, Would the signal wire be connect to the compressor itself ? Any diagrams or pics of where and what it looks like ? I have the FSM somewhere around here.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

There are relays at both locations and I can't recall now which location has the ac relay. As far as the connection for the signal wire it should be next to your power steering pump going down to the compressor.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

Checked fuses and and signal wire. Everything checks out .
Even tried wiggling the wire to see if it would cut on..

Nothing , compressor clutch isn't spinning at all.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Could have to do with the spacing of the magnetic clutch there is a kit you can buy that has shims to close the gap. You can use Feeler gauges to check the gap to be sure its in spec. Don't know off the top of my head the limits but you can look in the fsm.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 03:54 AM

The spec is .020" for the clutch gap. Check the air flow over the condenser make sure the fins are not all bent up there is nothing stuck to it. Its not full of bugs or dirt or thers not a bag there sounds wierd but it happens alot. you could clean it with a high pressure hose and some soap. The air flow over the condenser is very important for the a/c system to work properly. When it starts blowing hot air are the fans on if there not that could be the problem. if the condensser is not getting the air flow it needs the pressure in the system will get to high and the high pressure cut out switch will turn the compressor off until the pressure reaches a safe level.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Could have to do with the spacing of the magnetic clutch there is a kit you can buy that has shims to close the gap. You can use Feeler gauges to check the gap to be sure its in spec. Don't know off the top of my head the limits but you can look in the fsm.
Is their a How To for what you speak of or some kind of guide ?

Originally Posted by Ellimist55
The spec is .020" for the clutch gap. Check the air flow over the condenser make sure the fins are not all bent up there is nothing stuck to it. Its not full of bugs or dirt or thers not a bag there sounds wierd but it happens alot. you could clean it with a high pressure hose and some soap. The air flow over the condenser is very important for the a/c system to work properly. When it starts blowing hot air are the fans on if there not that could be the problem. if the condensser is not getting the air flow it needs the pressure in the system will get to high and the high pressure cut out switch will turn the compressor off until the pressure reaches a safe level.
Thanks for your reply.
I know exactly what you speak of, I try to clean it as much as I clean my Intercoolers on my cars, people dont realize how much dirt builds up on those things and actually degrades the functionality. I usually use coil cleaner.

However, this is not the case the condenser is clear and the Fans Kick on as soon as I turn on the AC and stay on until the AC is cut off.

Can you guys think of anything else?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Any more input guys and gals?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Photool
Any more input guys and gals?
I dont know of a how to on the shims but if you download the fsm senate has posted it will show you how to measure the gap and if needed how to pull the clutch assembly off to add shims. Can you hear the magnetic clutch click when it does not engage?
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:02 AM

omg my car has the exact same ac problem. Please let me know if you solve the problem!
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I dont know of a how to on the shims but if you download the fsm senate has posted it will show you how to measure the gap and if needed how to pull the clutch assembly off to add shims. Can you hear the magnetic clutch click when it does not engage?

Nope , When the clutch stops spinning it doesn't click .

P.S : Drove the car today, AC worked nice and cold! I then accelerated hard, and the air started to get muggy and hot.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Idk man I am out of ideas. Did you ever swap the relay? A bad relay can work fine then when too much heat gets to it (aka higher load on engine more heat in engine bay) it can stop working.Common issue on older integras and some accords the ignition relay will go bad and work sometimes then on hot days wont work.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 04:09 AM

Under hard excel the PCM with turn the compressor off so it's not taking power away from the engine
Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ellimist55
Under hard excel the PCM with turn the compressor off so it's not taking power away from the engine
Though what you state is true, Your post is really worthless and provides no credible information or suggestion to my specific issue.

This is a general problem with inconsistent AC under low and hard acceleration not Heavy acceleration. I could understand if I lost AC only when I slam the throttle open and as normal design the compressor is deactivated to supply proper power to the engine only. This is not the case.

Quick Reply: 04 Lancer - AC Intermittent / No AC