Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Can anybody help me? I need some questions answered in regards to my 04 OZ Rally

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can anybody help me? I need some questions answered in regards to my 04 OZ Rally

Hi,

I just purchased a used 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally with 129,000 miles on it from a private party. He told me there were no known mechanical issues with the car. My friend who is a mechanic came by and conducted a cursory inspection of the vehicle and said it seemed pretty solid. I then decided to purchase the car from the gentleman selling it. I should probably also mention that the guy who sold me the car gave me a two month written and signed warranty on it because he was so sure i would have no issues with it. He even went one step further and told me to take it to my mechanic friend and have him thoroughly inspect it and if he found any issues with it he would cover them. Well fast forward two days later and I am now getting a check engine light on my car so i decide to bring it in to Meineke. They inform me that it is my catalytic converter and it needs to be replaced. They also go on to inform me that catalytic converters on this model of vehicle are expensive to replace. that is why I am here.

I have some questions for you wise and all knowing Mitsubishi enthusiasts that I am hoping you can answer for me. First of all will I be covered under my states lemon law because the guy who sold me the car is now not answering his phone after I informed him of the issues I am having with it? BTW I live in Massachusetts. Secondly how much does it cost to replace a catalytic converter on this type of vehicle because Meineke is telling me it is going to be in the neighborhood of $1200? Is that on par with what it should cost to replace it? And my last question is while "Googling" I came across some information on the web that mentioned that were was a recall involving this vehicle and specifically it's catalytic converter.

BTW here is a link to the recall notice.

http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/docu...05001revii.pdf

My question is. Would this explain why I was getting a check engine light on my car and will my catalytic converter still needed to replaced if my local Mistusubishi dealer reflashes my PCM?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Theresa