Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Very weird power loss problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very weird power loss problem!!!

Hey guys,

ok so here's the scenario, i'm on the highway and on 5th gear, rpm around 2-3.... i want to accelerate so i press the pedal gradually, it accelerates normally weird hah? naah kidding anyway but when i press the gas pedal hard or floor it on 5th and maybe 4th i notice that rpm jumping to 5-6 without accelerating! it's like an automatic transmission kick down :S !!!! when i release the pedal gradually the rpm falls down to 2-3 rpm and then i'll have to be more gentle on the pedal to get the acceleration that i want! weird isnt it?!

does anyone have an idea whats going on? i kinda smell this odour that i think its significat to the clutch when i get out of the car.....i know that i have a bad vehicle speed sensor does have to do anything with this? maybe clutch? disk? flywheel slipping? i really have never seen it before in a MANUAL car!!!!!! i read once that the lancer manual tranny is 5sp with overdrive! is there such thing as an overdrive in a manual tranny?!!!! can it be the tranny going bad??!!!!!! i dont think so but i'm just brainstorming with you guys.... please give me your feedback!

thanks a lot

Last edited by gabr; May 19, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old May 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
there's nothing that would cause that other than your clutch is slipping...you need a new clutch, and if it was due to oil contamination, you'll need to repair the leak, and have the flywheel resurfaced...also if your roasting your clutch like that, it's not good for the flywheel, so don't do that anymore and replace your clutch...

there's no overdrive, and most the other things you mentioned don't really make sense either, transmission is probably fine...and the vehicle speed sensor runs off the diff, RPM should come from the crank angle sesnor i believe, don't quote me here, but i would say your clutch is toast my friend...sorry for the bad news...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; May 19, 2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn!! Do u have any ideas hw much would b the labour charge for the job if the average charge/HR is $80??? Thx a lot