Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2002 oz rally rough start

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2002 oz rally rough start

hi guys ive been working on this 2002 lancer since march so far on the motor ive replaced:
radiator fans 2 14" ebay fans
intake, cai ebay
MAF sensor, used ebay
radiator, brand new
ac condenser, brand new
pcv valve
battery, optima
motor mounts
oil spark plugs & wires

now lately when i try to start the car (cold start) it sputters and i have to fan the gas pedal allot and keep the key turned for like 40 seconds until it actually starts then i get a nice white smoke cloud that comes out of the muffler. Then i have to keep on fanning the gas pedal because the engine feels like its going to turn off almost like it doesn't have fuel or its flooded. if i dont fan the pedal it will just crank with an occasional sputter until i drain the battery

also i have to refile my radiator every 2 or 3 days but i have no puddles underneath my car ever. and obviously when im running low on water i over heat

so im running low on funds and i want to know what would be smarter to change first, the head gasket or the fuel pump.and is it worth changing the head gasket without resurfacing the head and do i need new head studs if i do change the gasket. i just need the motor to run for another 3 months max until i can find and buy a used 4g94

p.s. if you know of a 4g94 for sale in the south Florida area pm or email me plz
Old May 18, 2012, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

If you're not seeing any puddling on the ground, and there are no known leaks, it is very likely that you have a blown head gasket that is allowing the coolant to mix with the oil. Have you checked the oil or checked the oil cap?
Old May 18, 2012, 01:30 PM

yes i have a milky residue under the cap. so is it worth just changing the gasket or do i have to rectify the head and get head bolts? im a little low on funds but i dont wana be left stranded since this car takes me to work and home. so im hoping i can buy the gasket for 30 bucks and change it myself until i can aford to get ether a used motor or rebuild the head.

ps the car runs great once it starts
Old May 18, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Geez! That sucks man. You're asking these questions, and I'm going to give you one piece of advice. When you do something, do it right the first time. You just want to change the gaskets, you might be extended able to get away with that. But what about if the head is warped? Then you're going to be doing again and buying another gasket. I think the better question is how did it blow in the first place? Overheated I'm guessing. That's what you need to get fixed first or otherwise you're going to be getting another engine again.

My advice; do it right! Take Off the head and have it checked to see if it's warped and if it's not replace the gaskets and FLUSH those fluids! If it is warped getting a new motor might be a better decision money wise. You could find a 4g94 for about $200. Call junk yards.