Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2002 Lancer ES: MY MISTAKE!

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Lancer ES: MY MISTAKE!

I just did the timing belt/ idler/ water pump on a friend's 02 Lancer. I lined up the timing belt perfect well to my standards and my father's who is an super **** Delta aircraft mechanic of 27 years so I think it's good and I informed him of the fact that it has to be perfect because of it being interference.

Now before I took the engine apart at all I had some wires unplugged, the stuff that's in the way at first, the left hand side ignition plug and the crankshaft position sensor plug (the one on the lower timing cover housing that acts as an extension to plug into the actual sensor inside)...

Well I had to move the car into the garage because it looked like rain was coming and I accidently plugged the ignition coil plug into the crank position sensor and crank position plug into the ignition coil itself. After trying to start it I noticed the plugs were wrong. (I've never seen anything besides o2 sensors on a car that used the same shape/size connector!). I corrected the wiring problem and after which it started but it ran like crap but I wrote it off as maybe it needed to relearn the idle and did the timing job like an idiot.

So anyhow, it's doing the same thing as before the timing job, idling like low and dying every so often seems like a misfire but not in 2 cyls like if the one ign coil was fried, just bad idle, it's shifting funny to or maybe the shift feels bad because the load on the engine feels terrible it just runs like sh*t. I need to figure it out and fast because the guy I'm fixing it for is a great guy and I feel terrible about it cause it's not my car. I'm usually a pretty good mechanic. I mean I've changed like 6 engines, done head gaskets, 2 other timing belts, one on a V6 Mitsu engine Dodge Caravan, another on a 91 lexus gs400 (1uz-fe v8) and many other things.

Last edited by thaddaeusg; May 6, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: it was hard on the eyes!
Old May 8, 2012, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thanks for nothing I guess, it's funny how it's been here for days and nobody comments. I figured it out on my own by now. Ignition coils were good tested by swapping them with a new one the left side still didn't spark. Figured I blew an ignition driver circuit on the ECU. Yep I was right. Done deal.