Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

CVT Transmission "Slow down" Warning?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a picture of my lancer , see first post

Last edited by Fredj; Apr 19, 2010 at 06:37 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

the first and only time i brought the wifes lancer up to 124 i think? it was the top speed and i got the "slow down" warning. It was freezing out side and i got to an open CLOSED ROAD to try it out, so i know that thing wasnt too hot... just a speed warning i think, at least in my case
Old Jul 27, 2011, 11:02 AM

I have the same problem…!! its been already like 6 times , driving on the HWY doing about 150kmh i got the SLOW DOWN light and my lancer 2008 just stops….. and i have to pull over for about 10 to 15 min, until i guess , cool off … any suggestions? is this going to be a big problem? or if i just change the oil the car will be fine? thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by emiliano
I have the same problem…!! its been already like 6 times , driving on the HWY doing about 150kmh i got the SLOW DOWN light and my lancer 2008 just stops….. and i have to pull over for about 10 to 15 min, until i guess , cool off … any suggestions? is this going to be a big problem? or if i just change the oil the car will be fine? thanks!
The transmission is protecting itself. The only way to get around this if you want to drive at 150K+ is to buy and aftermarket transmission cooler. If you are not mechanically inclined I suggest getting a shop to install it.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fredj
----------
1. More than 15 minutes
2. Driving in the Desert!!!
3. INVECS-III, Sport mode
----------
Lol.. Driving in the Desert!.. thats good stuff.

I would put a larger cooler on it. A fan wouldn't hurt either.

http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/A...ooler-Kit.html

Old Aug 12, 2011, 06:35 PM

My car designed for driving in the desert, and i have Genuine factory cooler larger than that one you offer, located at the front with engine radiator designed by Mitsubishi for Middle East, North Africa "high temperatures" Places, bty did you know the Hottest place in the world is Libya#1.

NB: the problem is still existing
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car designed for driving in the desert, and i have Genuine factory cooler larger than that one you offer, located at the front with engine radiator designed by Mitsubishi for Middle East, North Africa "high temperatures" Places, bty did you know the Hottest place in the world is Libya#1.

NB: the problem is still existing
Fredj, I would highly recommend upgrading your fluid to either Redline CVT fluid or Eneos Cvt fluid. This will reduce friction and in turn reduce heat.

http://www.eneos.us/product/7
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=128&pcid=9

Start there and see if you can extend your range. Of my friends in middle eastern region, some have had their CVT fluid contaminated. When you change your fluid, keep some in a clean sterile container and send it to a oil testing facility for testing.

Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:34 PM

First.......Fastest Ive ever gone in a car Ive driven is 160. (Fastest in a passenger 260....) But seriously that's like OMG speed. ahem. I think I'll go for that transmission fluid as well. I want to have the peace of mind.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 07:25 PM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Car covered in sand + "slow down" warning = you, sir, are doing it right.

I would still recommend trying to find an aftermarket transmission cooler that's bigger than the stock one. The OEM one may be designed for your hotter market, but it's probably not designed for higher speeds.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by CamShaft
The transmission is protecting itself. The only way to get around this if you want to drive at 150K+ is to buy and aftermarket transmission cooler. If you are not mechanically inclined I suggest getting a shop to install it.
I am having that same error, but I don't drive at more than 70 MPH. I do drive a lot, 2hr commute and after having this problem I drive the car without going over 3000 RPM as I noticed that was the "bad point" so to speak. Sometimes I cannot go over 60, as I don't want to push the RPMs so much.

I don't think the long commute is the problem as I've had this car for 3 years and this problem began a year ago and I had another Lancer (and other cars) before without having this issue.

Dealership mechanics told me that I have to replace the transmission but I don't think that's the answer (at least not the one I want to hear). Could changing the oil to the oil type you guys recommend be any good? I see you are recommending it to people who drive way faster than I do.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:37 PM

what if you're not going over 80 mph and just going 70 mph?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 04:40 PM

what if its not the weather thats causing the high temperature rise? is it just because the transmission cooler is breaking? it happens whenever i go into 6th going 75 mph. someone please help
Old Nov 15, 2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by peanutboylancer
what if its not the weather thats causing the high temperature rise? is it just because the transmission cooler is breaking? it happens whenever i go into 6th going 75 mph. someone please help
I just got to know that you need to decrease your cvt fluid to 5.5 liters instead of 6 liters. According to Mitsubishi Malaysia, when the fluid boil, it will overflow and produce humming noise. They claim that they have fixed this problem for a few customers. I'm doing mine now.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by silver2002
I just got to know that you need to decrease your cvt fluid to 5.5 liters instead of 6 liters. According to Mitsubishi Malaysia, when the fluid boil, it will overflow and produce humming noise. They claim that they have fixed this problem for a few customers. I'm doing mine now.
Same thing was happening to my girlfriends Lancer. Silver2002 is correct, we reduced the level and never had a problem again. There is a TSB-10-23-005 that I believe covers it. They should replace the dipstick as well.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 06:44 PM

thanks evo_soul

Someone tell me "don't replace your automatic transmission fluid", is it true?

Don't really know how to reply just got a smart phone I work at a shop and am learning still for sure. My personal opinion. Change the fluids regularly 50 know miles. The lancer on this thread with the slow warning indicator is occurring to a vehicle the 08 lancer there's a tsnap on it

Quick Reply: CVT Transmission "Slow down" Warning?