Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

'09 Lancer GTS CVT Throttle/Acceleration Problem

Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '09 Lancer GTS CVT Throttle/Acceleration Problem

I have searched around, but since I don't really know what to call this it is hard to really have good search terms. Please let me know if you have heard of anything like this or anything similar.

Problem:
The last two days after my car has been parked for 8-9 hours outside while at work I have noticed a big problem with the acceleration. From my parking space to the street (about 1.5 minutes) I drive 10 mph. I stop at the sign for the street and as I'm about to turn right I give it gas and I get no response... I'm stuck doing about rolling speed for about 5-7 seconds then it kicks in and gas works normal.

The dealership service department was unable to replicate the problem and therefore were unwilling to help. They said they can take my car and hold it, but they would prefer for me to do more diagnosis on the car before bringing it in. I'm parking the car outside tonight and will test it in the morning in regular drive instead of sport mode to see if there is an issue, and also I will try the same when I get off of work.

Notes:
I just got the oil changed Saturday, January 9, 2009 at 11,700 miles at the dealership after not driving it for about a week because I was out of town. Car was parked in underground parking garage (which doesn't appear to experience temperature change issues.
I purchased the car in May of 2009.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its happened to me before too. not for so long but usually on cold starts in the morning when im running late i turn on the car and put it in drive and for the first 5 seconds i get about a 1-2 second delay on the gas after it rolls for a bit everything goes back to norm.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:17 PM

I remember experiencing that fast start and gas delay, but never anything quite this dramatic. I'm not going for a fast acceleration, but it literally feels like it is stuck at idle.... < 10mph no matter what I do with the gas.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:18 PM
Account Disabled

i usually let my car warm up, let the oil pressure rise before doing any high revving or gassing it. Id check all your fluids too, check the oil level. Its just that the car may not have enough oil or has not warmed up properly.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:37 PM

What is the approximate warmup time for the car before moving in 40-60 Degree F weather? I can have all of the fluids double checked by the dealership... especially since they just topped everything off the other day.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 06:41 PM

Is the minute of 10mph enough warmup before accelerating normally to 35?
Old Jan 19, 2010, 03:37 PM

ive been having this problem too, would like to know how to fix it, but glad to see its just not my car. the only mod i have is the RRM SRI. its usually around 30 F here in the morning
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:22 AM

They reproduced the problem and now I'm in a rental car for 4... days so they can dismantle my transmission. They believe it is in the "first clutch"... I'm not completely sure how the CVT transmission works, but I feel like this may be a shot in the dark. We will see. I will post back.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:42 PM

I have spent the last 3 days in a rental Ford Focus to find out today that the mechanic in charge of my car had an emergency that he had to take care of 3 days ago that has prevented him from working my car. Frustrating. They haven't even gotten my transmission taken apart yet... which is the whole reason they wanted it there.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:13 PM

I was just informed that the problem with my car is beyond where they are "allowed" to go on the car so I will be receiving a new transmission next week. I didn't realize that the transmission was an area of such secrecy... but I do like the way that their CVT drives so maybe they are doing something others are not.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:00 PM

just after reading this last night, today my 09 SE did the same but it started to studder when in idle, rpms reving randomly and acceleration was very slow wouldnt go over 40kms/hr.
it was just running fine and had it off for only about 15mins when it started to happen. it was really cold so at first i thought it might have been the cold.

i thought it was my resinator cuz i could smell fuel in the car when i was driving VERY slow home.
took it to mitsu dealer and the mechanic said that the engine isnt getting enough air thru the intake, which is a RRM V2 short ram and also causing my check engine light to come on.
he said clean the air filter and put the stock snorkel for the stock intake back on so more air is directed to it instead of just the air in the engine bay.

i thought he was just saying this cuz they were about to close and he didnt want to do any real work but i cleaned the filter which did look like it had a fair amount of salt dust on it. Now it works fine. i just hope thats all it really was...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:55 AM

Apparently my transmission is coming in today, from Virginia (to Houston, TX) and it is the last one. Apparently people have been having issues with their CVTs... the mechanic said some people have a bearing noise resonating from the transmission and they are replacing all of them (because they aren't allowed to repair). So frustrating... wish I had a manual.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:43 AM

Not sure if it's related but here's my story:

I have an ongoing problem with my car, it's not constant, but i would say applies to 75-80% of the time I drive this vehicle. It start doing this 3 weeks ago. I'm note sure what is the reason though, but
something slows it down (for instance sometimes if I'm on a highway and releasing
a gas pedal it would loose 40-50% of speed in 3-5 sec or if I'm going
downhill it stops with gas pedal released and without any brakes) and
I also have constant whistling noise and vibration all over the car...It also gains speed
very slow (sometimes I can reach 4500rpm : it will roar
but it would still doing around 40kms), steering is an issue as well,not responsive,harder on turns and when you brake you feel vibration in your steering wheel as well as in the brake pedal....

Other thing,dunno how to explain properly, periodically you feel that smth pulling you car back on low speeds.

Brought it to 3 different Mitsu dealerships: all have the same answer
- "No problems were found"...

The fuel consumption according car's computer is 15-25L per 100Km( sometimes in cold startups after 5-10min of driving it might show up to 72L/100km)....I fill up 1,5-2 tank a week with the daily milage not exceeding 100km..

Sometimes smells gasoline inside....

Any ideas what can be a reason? Wheels? Engine? Ignition(didn't have startup issues yet)?

Car is Lancer SE' 09 CVT (Odd. 9k, was purchased back in september 2009)

Switched to winter tires last November

Am I doomed?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

mine is a 2.4L CVT and I do keep track of all the gas/KM

let me check it once I got home.... then you can compare your gas usage

but 1 full tank shuld drive around 4XX KM... but it depend on your usage...

I drive about 250-300KM per week including 50~70Km highway...
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolving Member

btw the fuel consumption according car's computer is off... don't use that to measure your gas usage....

it will skyrock to 7?L/100KM in the first 10-15 min of drive..... even worse if you warm up your car a long time...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '09 Lancer GTS CVT Throttle/Acceleration Problem