Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

I need help please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I need help please

I dont know what has happened to my lancer, ok i know that im not going to be able to explain what i did and what is going on now in the most technical of terms but if anyone needs clarification please say so.

Alright here goes

About 3 weeks ago I had to drive down south to another state well on this particular day it was very warm i mean like 75 degrees warm and my heater was blowing and even though i have it off you all know how you can still feel hot air blowing through the vents , well the problem is that i cant just turn it off because my climate knob is broke (the post that the knob goes onto well about a year ago that post broke under pressure of turning it from cold to hot) Any way i have made due with a pair of needle nose pliers but that day i forgot them so i finally had to go into a local Napa and get a set of needle nosed vise grips its all i could find that worked but after that the A/C got stuck on so then i proceeded the next day to take the radio and heater controller apart its quite easy but anyway while figuring the mechanics of this heater controller unit i sat my radio still in the dash trim panel and all wires plugged in and all harnesses attatched, i set in up on top of the dash it was quite a stretch but i didnt see any of the wires or harnesses being pulled to tight i got the heater unit all the way out which required me to "free" the two cables that tie directly into the knob that adjusts the temperature and the knob that adjusts whether it goes to floor , vent defrost and so on. So to do that i had to break these little metal clamps that held these cables firmly down and the way its supposed to work is the cable is sheathed all the way up to about 4 inches from the end where there is a more thin cable that slides in and out of the sheathed part and that controls the ducts and temperature and all that well now neither of the knobs work of course because theres no pressure being put on the cables to push and pull out the cable to change the ducts and stuff anyway i know how to fix this i know where to get a new heater control unit and new cables its not cheap but i do know how to put it in, for now if i need to change anything i reach down underneath the dash and change it from hot to cold or vent to defrost and so on.

Here comes my problem i apologize for the lengthy post i figure the more details i give the better. So i go to put all this back together pushing the heater controller back in place and clipping the clips into these two little holes and then putting my radio back in , i forgot to mention my radio did fall once or twice but it didnt hit anything, now at this point i dont remember if its when everything stopped working or if it was the next day when i went out to mess with it some more to see if i could figure a temporary fix for the cables but anyway , once i put it all back together the heater controller didnt want to sit back as far as it used to and i tried to get it to and there wasnt really anything behind it so i just put my radio and trim panel back on which forced it back a little more because that clips into place.

And since then , my dome light has stopped working, my radio doesnt work, the cars clock doesnt work, the i ding that happens when you open the door or first get in with the key in acc position doesnt happen, the odometer trip resets everytime the car is turned off, the power locks do not work unless the car is running where as before even with it off you could lock it as well as turn the key twice to unlock more doors than just the drivers side door, and i have an aftermarker alarm a Python 990 to be exact that the keyless entry does not work on which makes sense because the power locks do not work unless its running but i can still remote start it which is a feature i got with the Python system and i can arm it but it doesnt lock it as i said.

So there are my problems , and i have checked all back in the dash behind the radio and heater controller for any kind of wire that may have come loose or any kind of plug or harness, i have looked under the dash where my alarm system is and looked at all the in line fuses to see if anything is blown i have checked every fuse i see including all the ones inside the car on the drivers side right behind that little pull out box nothing is blown that i have seen no wires or connections unplugged anywhere. That i see

If anyone is still reading a big THANK YOU so very much and if anyone has any advice tips or suggestions please feel free to respond to this post, i would like to be able to fix it myself rather than pay 80 dollars an hour to a stereo shop, if someone has a fix i can judge on whether i think i will be able to do it i am some what mechanically inclined but i wont try everything i know my limits
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:04 AM
Evolved Member

wow thats a pain to read.

what makes it more difficult is that that block of text consisted on 2-3 periods
Old Mar 2, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That hurt my eyes but have you checked your fuses?
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:03 AM
Evolving Member

Happened to me last week, ended up pulling my ENTIRE dash apart trying to find loose wires after checkng what I thought was all the fuses. Pop the hood, open the larger fuse box cover up. You will see a yellow box with two mini 10-amp fuses in in. Pull up on the yellow box they are in and push the tabs to the side that hold each fuse in, and pull out the one on the firewall side and replace. Thats your problem, almost guaranteed.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check fuses under dash and hood, all of them, make sure no wires got cut in the dash. Unhook your cd player if you start blowing fuses. If its damaged on the inside, that could keep blowing them, I had that problem.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 08:36 PM

Thank to everyone that read my enormous post , I again apologize for the length and the poor punctuation , i didnt think it was too important and i am sorry. But lucas03ES thank you that was what was wrong with it lol i cant believe one fuse caused all that and i didnt think that any of the fuses under the hood would have to do with that stuff inside.

Again thanks a alot to everyone

My next post will be more grammatically correct
Old Mar 4, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never mind... you found the problem already.

Last edited by blaze_125; Mar 4, 2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 10:54 AM

I had this EXACT same problem on a 95 Civic that I owned. I didn't know enough about fuses under the hood at the time so I took it to one of the guys at best buy and he popped the hood, opened the fuse box and VIOLA`!!!! problem fixed. Something as screwy as a fuse can cause alot of your electrical issues in regards to inoperable electrical devices in the car.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucas03ES
Happened to me last week, ended up pulling my ENTIRE dash apart trying to find loose wires after checkng what I thought was all the fuses. Pop the hood, open the larger fuse box cover up. You will see a yellow box with two mini 10-amp fuses in in. Pull up on the yellow box they are in and push the tabs to the side that hold each fuse in, and pull out the one on the firewall side and replace. Thats your problem, almost guaranteed.

lol Just happened to me two days ago. It started with my boost guage going crazy then as I went to check my guages, clock, and CD player went dead. Today i searched and came across this thread took this mans advice and Boom! Good as new!

Thanks!