Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Car won't start-not getting fuel?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK cool, I'm going out to check that now. And all the pumps I find are like $130+ to get it here fast. I guess I'm just going without a car for a week if I need a pump. Hope I don't
Old Aug 7, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

There is an install help on lancershop.com also that gives you step by step and pictures to help with a fuel pump install
Old Aug 7, 2007, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

The fuse is fine. I took the back seat out too. I've heard people say that is hard. It was 2 clips.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yea everything is easy from what i read but getting the pump out. if you are going to repace the pump read the install help on lancershop. it tells you everything plus what tools you will need
Old Aug 7, 2007, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I read that install. It will definately help. Placing an order now.
Old Aug 7, 2007, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

OK last post for the night. I want to be sure before I order one that it's the pump. I had someone turn the key and stuff to see if I could even hear the pump and I got nothing. Tomorrow I will unhook the line from the fuel rail, and see if fuel gets pumped through there. We'll see.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Quick question - if it was your fuel pump, then wouldn't your car not run at all? If i read your first post correctly, your car started up after it died. I had to replace the fuel pump on my ex's cavalier and when it went, it didn't start at all.

Hope things work out for you. Let us know how the walbro works out.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

It won't start. In the parking lot before I left it did start after I tried few times, but I didn't get very far. It only barely started after spraying starter fluid into the intake but even then it BARELY started and I couldn't rev it at all, it sat at like not even 200 rpms for a few seconds then I shut it off. Starter fluid is like temporary gas, so that's how it allowed it to start up. But still, today I'm disconnecting the fuel line from the fuel rail and trying to start it to see if it puts out any fuel, if not, I'm getting the walbro, if it does, I'm calling Mitsubishi.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

I rechecked for any noise from the pump today, nothing. I disconnected the high pressure hose and connected a new hose to it running to a bucket to see if it would pump any fuel out. Nothing. I called Mitsubishi to see if they had a pump in stock and they said they'd have to order one and it would cost $565 just for the pump. So I will order the Walbro today.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

For some reason, to me, it just doesn't seem like a fuel pump issue. Probably because I thought my problem in the Civic was the pump, swapped it and did the exact same thing. Ended up being the distributor...

Good luck none the less.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well in the end it turns out I have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on my car and the pump and most other stuff is covered. I also got my GF to call her AAA since she gets free towing to any service station and tomorrow it will be towed to mitsubishi and fixed for free. Hopefully faster than waiting for a new pump in the mail and to have it not be the problem. Thanks for everyone's advice and help anyways.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by drucea
K, so I went to autozone and they said the to replace the filter, I'd have to replace the pump. Which costs $179. Then the screen comes seperately, for another $21. Then in the end, they have to order it for me. So does anyone know anywhere I can get a cheaper or better pump (Walbro) since I'll already have to pay a lot for a new filter anyways?
Yea, try shopping at any other place other than Autozone. I've been to a few different car stores in my town and Autozone always seems to be the most expensive.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I usually try to avoid them. I just wanted to see if anyone had a pump in stock. But Mitsu fixed it for free and it was the fuel pump. So my car is up and running great now.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 03:17 PM

Congrats that is a good thing, i unfortunately have no Warranty on my car so if insurance won't cover it it comes out of my pocket
Old Aug 25, 2007, 08:25 PM
zay

Damn warranty sounds good i wish one was on my car but i had that same prob a couple of weeks ago. Did they tell you how your fuel pump went out?

Last edited by zay; Aug 25, 2007 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Car won't start-not getting fuel?