Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lancer Recalls!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lancer Recalls!!!

Hey guys need help I need to find a site with the recall information on the catalytic converter for the 2003 lancer. I cant find information on it anywere but peolpe talk about it all over here. My car keep tripping the CEL with 0421 which is Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1). Which I have been told will be covered under warrenty, but heard other people saying they called there dealership and were told there were no recalls for this Thanks!!!.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:31 AM
Former Vendor

i think the recall was a while back for a reflash on the ECU that caused the problem.

but as far as the cat converter goes. There is an 80k mile warranty on all emissions stuff from Mitsu. So as long as your under 80K miles they HAVE to replace the cat converter
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The recall isn't for the converter itself, the recall is for the programming of the ECU which can cause damage to the coverter. It may be tough to get them to replace the converter because you will have to prove that the code is was caused exactly by the bad ECU programming.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/recall/420b06001.pdf
Page 10 of 13
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Well as long as they stop my CEL from coming on. I have a scanner so I clear the code and turn off the light but this is now the 3rd or 4th time it has some on with the same code. My car has 57k on it so I should just call them about a reflash then?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:39 AM

did you already bring it in for the recall flash when it came out? If you bought the car from the dealer you should have gotten a notice
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:40 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 03lances
Well as long as they stop my CEL from coming on. I have a scanner so I clear the code and turn off the light but this is now the 3rd or 4th time it has some on with the same code. My car has 57k on it so I should just call them about a reflash then?
you can try about the reflash. they will look up the history of the car and see if has already been done, if not, they will do it.

but they will replace the cat converter, they have to. the cel isn't from the ECU, it is from the Cat converter. but the ECU is what causes the problem with the cat, it makes the car runs to rich or something.

either way, you will be able to get it all fixed for free at the dealership
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Just call them, and tell them what you told us. They will tell you the RIGHT answer, because we are all confused on the recalls like you.

The bad, is that you have to leave your car for about a day with them. Sometime overnight. So just make sure you have another way of transportation, and get all your good stuff out of the car.

p.s. Once your on the phone, ask them about any other recalls. I have seen some for the radiator, a/c knob, and few other things I can't think of. But good luck!
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Well I have only had it for about 4 months and the people who had it before me surely didnt take care of it as I got it for next to nothing and have done quite a bit to get it to its current status. So I assuming they didnt get it done. By the way that was exactly what I needed thanks dradnc1 much appreciated.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:50 AM

Glad to help! I'm in the same boat as well right now, and don't want to take mine back to the dealer unless I have to. I know how the dealer here works and they're as crooked as a 200 year old house.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Hey guys I just called the dealership, they looked up my vin seen that the reflash had not been done and set me up an appointment for tomorrow thanks guys!!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by dradnc1
The recall isn't for the converter itself, the recall is for the programming of the ECU which can cause damage to the coverter. It may be tough to get them to replace the converter because you will have to prove that the code is was caused exactly by the bad ECU programming.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/recall/420b06001.pdf
Page 10 of 13
Well the recall isn't for the converter. But having to replace the converter is a result of the ECU programming. Mine actually "melted" so I had to take it in and have the Mitsubishi stealership replace it all for FREE! Should have my car back tomorrow hopefully.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

i just had this done. i told mitsu im reinstalling my turbo but they still did it.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 04:01 PM

lol well they had to do it. factory recall. after its done the problem shouldn't reappear
Old Mar 18, 2008, 07:19 PM

Hello all
I been having the same problem with a 04 ES I bought 3 weeks ago from a dealer (not Mitsubishi) with 83K on it. I called them today and said they would fix it. I asked a friend to run the scanner on it and he told me thats its either the cat or the exhaust system is leaking anyway from what I been reading if I replace the cat will the ecu still fry it, or will the dealer fix the ecu good for another five years? I'm kinda worried cause I'm over the 80K so I doubt I can get it fixed it for free. I'm wondering how much I'm going to have to pay? Does anyone know?
Thank You for reading.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

you will pay NOTHING that is what the point of a recall. its theyr f*ck up so they are held responsible....basically