Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

serious or not?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation serious or not?

Ok i feel stupid about this but heres what happened... 2003 US lancer - I was just accelerating from a stop... had music kinda loud and my contacts were kind of fogged over so i was trying to rub my eyes to fix them etc, basically what happened was i stalled it, i think i prob caught 4th instead of 2nd. At any rate RPM's dropped to zero well i depressed the clutch again and then started to let off, im not sure why i did that, just happened as i was coming to a stop... anyway it bucked as if i were pop starting, but I was still in 4th. Normally my reflexes are better i swear, my damn contacts were really screwing with me. Anyway now the imporant part.. So i come to a stop and attempt to start er up... well she turns over but doesn't fire. It turned over for at least 3-4 seconds, I let off... sat for a sec... then tried again and it fired up in maybe 2 seconds. However NOW the SES light is on!! It still runs the same and isn't lugging... still just as responsive as it always has been and I started her up after getting home and she fired immediately as usual. Obviously its sitting over night, is there a chance the SES wont be on in the morning, will the ecu reset? If not, should I take to the dealer, and do you think anything major could have happened? I dont see how! Nothing really happened except it stalling, as far as i could tell.
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unfortunately the MIL light (SES) will remain on until the computer is cleared.. You can go to the dealer, borrow a code scanner, or go to the site www.scantool.net and get an inexpensive ISO scanner for your car, you can reset it.. It actually sounds like you threw the car into reverse for as odd as that sounds, technically its not supposed to happen.. ANYWAY, odds are you just confused the computer and the error code will probably reflect a MAP error or an O2 sensor error..

You can go to pep boys and get a code scanner made by Sun or some other company for about $100, reset the code, then return it saying it doesnt work with your Lancer.. Write the code down, if it comes back, bring it into the dealer to have it diagnosed.

Jack

Last edited by MalibuJack; Mar 16, 2003 at 08:56 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

if the light is still on tomorrow, get it checked. otherwise i wouldn't worry too much about it. i've stalled plenty of times when i first started driving.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Well ive also stalled many times when i first learned stick, i actually havnt stalled in i dont know how long, you really have to understand how bad my contacts were, so dry i could barely see... i had just gotten in the car after i woke up from a long nap =) At anyrate wouldnt it be better to take to dealer so they can diagnos it instead of purchasing a code scanner? Since its under warrenty and i hopefully wouldnt have to pay for it? Or is this not true? Im just praying nothing bad happened. Also I def did not throw her into reverse hehe, 4th maybe.. but no reverse. Is there any truth to getting the SES to go off if ya unhook the battery? Ive read that a couple times... however I would like to have it checked if there is a possibility something bad could have happened.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 09:06 PM

Take it to the dealer and get it checked. Hopefuly your under 36k.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

try 3030, speaking of that im due for an oil change
3k and the ses light already, my luck is just a flourishing!

BTW can anyone say if this most likely will be more most likely wont be covered by warrenty?

Last edited by on3ofak1nd; Mar 16, 2003 at 09:14 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2003, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

I'd try disconnecting the batt for about 10 min and then seeing what happens
Old Mar 16, 2003, 09:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah.. Already had a code scanner, and my experience is the MIL light never went off if the car was shut off, or the battery disconnected.. Had to manuall reset it. ALL OBD-II compliant cars will have two types of codes.. minor codes which will be stored, but not trigger the light, and major codes, which will trigger the light, and it will stay on until it is manually cleared. Take it to the dealer.. Your under warranty its worthwhile.. It was going to cost me $200 to take my neon to a dealer, so bought the code scanner for my PC..
Old Mar 16, 2003, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I think ill do that tomorrow, hopefully a sensor was just tripped for some reason and its nothing serious, I really dont see how it could be!
Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:02 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At 3030 just go to dealer and tell them you stalled it and light came on. May just be knock sensor tripped her out. That is probably all it is. If she is running fine and smooth you can be pretty sure that you are fine internally. Just let the dealer scan and repair/clear it. It will be free for you anyway!
Old Mar 17, 2003, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Autozone reads codes for free if anyone cares
Old Mar 17, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

ok well it went off after i got to work this morning, i guess that means all is ok?
Old Apr 1, 2003, 05:15 PM

there is a reset button underneath the steering wheel. atleast that's where they usually are. I will look when I get my car out of the shop for it.