Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

WOW! i think that my car is EFFED!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2005, 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WOW! i think that my car is EFFED!!

I really think that my car is F***ed...or at least until i get a new engine! When i got out of school on friday it was dropping a flood. I got in my car went to McDeez for lunch and met a friend for a movie. When i got to the movie theatre the parking lot was flooded...not thinking i decided that it wasn't too deep so i pulled an "Oregon Trail" and forged the son of a b. Well the middle of the parking lot must have been tapered (for drainage) but i didnt notice it. My CAI apparently got submerged and the car shut off forcefully. I decided to get out of the car (still raining) and push it into a parking spot, let it sit until i get out of the theatre, and then try and crank it. Well the movie was good (A History of Violence) but by the time i got to the car and tried to crank it ...nothing happened...it turned over but no juice. i decided to take the CAI loose from the throtle body and let it dry for a while and i went to best buy. when i came back to the car it still wouldnt crank. while i was attempting to crank it my friend noticed that it was shooting oil out of the muffler...NOT GOOD! i decided to leave the car there until my dad could look at it. this morning when my dad went to look at it he tried to crank it and it sounded like the whole engine had seized up. he tried once more and then BOOM! A piece of metal about 4 inches in diameter shot out from under the engine. my dad said that he looke at where it had come from and from inside the hole he could see the crank shaft....DO WHAT?!?! The piece of metal that shot out was about 4 inches in diameter and kinda looked like one of the plates in the human skull... it was probably about .25-.50 of an inch thick. can anyone tell me what they think may have caused the problem? what the metal is from? is there anyway that this could have happened from just a little water getting into the engine? am i gonna have to buy a new engine or block?

PLEASE HELP!
thanks in advance

BIGGINS
Old Oct 9, 2005, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

yes that would be hydro-lock, the only thing that i know of you can do is to change your spark plugs. my friend hydro-locked his bronco (most likely with more water than you had taken in), we went and got some spark plugs, came back, replaced then and cranked it right up and left, no problems since. hopefully, it wont happen again, if it does, dont try to continue cranking it. that could quite possible be one of the pulleys, or even possibly the cam gear.

Last edited by oz4g94; Oct 9, 2005 at 07:55 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 07:56 PM

Ouch, that sux. Luckily my CAI is about 17" away from the ground, so unless i feel like taking my car for a swim in 2 feet deep water, i guess i'm fine. But sorry about getting hydro-locked, that blows.
Old Oct 9, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

yeah when i was pushing the car into the parking spot the water was about halfway up my shin...and i am 6'3" tall. my dad says that i will more than likely have to buy a new engine. what do you think?
Old Oct 9, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

if a mechanical part of the engine shot out of the car when it was cranked, i would say if you dont need a new engine, you will definitely need some extensive work done that will definitely not be cheap (in perspective).
Old Oct 10, 2005, 03:11 AM
Evolving Member

yeah that is what i figured...so i looked around as much as i could online and i found about 5 engines around where i live. one of them, which is the one i will probably go for, is only $350 and only has 19,000 miles on it. That seems like a reasonable price dont you think? Plus going from an engine with 93,000 miles to one that is relatively new would be awesome! i will keep yall updated, i should hear from the mechanic later today...ill keep yall posted.

BIGGINS
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thats a great price for the engine. If you have the time and $$, you could also port and polish the head while it's out of the car. Anyway, sorry to hear about the hydro-locking. You knew that was a risk with the CAI right? I don't dare drive through 3 inches of water for that reason. I also just bought a SRI for the winter here since it rains a crapload. Let us know how it all goes.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

biggins, i got mine for...i think $250, maybe $225 with 35K on it so yeah, that's pretty good. lancer engines are cheap as hell. in theory, you could part out your existing engine and cover your parts cost. labor....well, that's a different story.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Man, another good reason for SRI. Sorry to hear, but yeah a new engine will be in order. Try Ebay, seen a few there but might not be too closer to GA. Good luck.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

ahhemm... Eclipse GST ahheemm Evo 6 swap think of what lies beyone the horizon my friend! it sucks that this happened.. but damm u can now think engine swap!

i myself floored it thru a flooded road.. but thats what sri's are for in the northeast!!... no probs here!
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

yeah kid i thought about an engine swap but seeing that i am in college and i cant work as much as i used to...yeah i cant afford that one! i wish that i could but...i found out today for sure that i am getting an engine, $350.20, only 16,000 miles, and it is in town! AWESOME!!! my car will be finished by at least friday soo... i am as of now the happiest man alive...haha i will keep you guys updated on things to come!

thanks for the support
BIGGINS
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Good luck. It would be awesome if you would get some forged internals and build the motor and then stick it in your car. But I don't know if that's where you want to go with your car.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

how about you get the valve cover from the blown engine and keep it for me until payday?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

if i get to keep the engine then i might either build it or part it out...one of the two! no use in getting rid of it if i dont have to. if you want the valve cover then let me know and i will hook you up! keep in touch!

BIGGINS
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

if a chunck blew out the side of the block the block is about worthless (paper weight maybe) however the head and the rest of the attached parts will be usable and worth something to somebody, port out the intake and exaust or use it as a mockup for a home brew turbo

Quick Reply: WOW! i think that my car is EFFED!!