Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

My car won't stay running

Old Aug 26, 2005, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scorp64
Not to be a pr!ck, but we do have 4 spark plugs. With the dual coil design we only have 2 plug wires, but there is still a spark plug for each cylinder.
Okay I knew we had two wires and coil packs but didn't know we had 4 plugs. Now I do thanks!

Originally Posted by thcomb
Is it weird that the car ran fine for several days afterward? The filter was attached but really loose, and I think I just knocked it off when removing it.
So did you do the towel thing?
Old Aug 27, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Alright, so I did the towel thing and there was no water. I did notice that my plugs were bad, so I changed those thinking that might cure the problem. It didn't. Now that my car is completely stock except for the headlights, I had it towed to the dealership. While it's there I told them to also change the throwout bearing. I really hope whatever they find is going to be under the warranty. ...pipe dreams
Old Aug 27, 2005, 08:58 AM

If your engine was hydrolocked, there would be no way it would crank over. unless you remove the spark plug to let out whatever fluid is preventing the compression, such as raw fuel, coolant or water.

try taking out the filter and see if the car runs ok. you are probably restricting the airflow if you are lucky. there are many variables. do you have a strong spark? fuel pressure in the fuel rails? and last but not least the pcm to control the injectors/spark.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

Alright the car has been in the shop for a week now, and the service is already horrible. They aren't getting any compression from the engine... That's it. That is all they have told me in a week! He also said, "I think you may have broken a timing belt." If he's getting paid to make guesses as to whether or not I broke a timing belt, then he's got one sweet job. I should go and tell him if I broke it. That way it will knock at least a weeks worth of testing off the to do list for the Mitsubishi Service department. I really hate them. They keep telling me that they are going to call me with an update at the end of each day I call. They don't, so I call the next day only to find out the car has never been looked at. I'm getting fed up with this ****.

Last edited by thcomb; Sep 4, 2005 at 08:26 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2005, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear this happened to you, but it happens, i got the scare also but i only suck in some to get to my MAs and my car shut down, but ya gotta pay when ya play, sucks that you took off all your mods and took it to the dealer, cus if they fix that under warrantee and it wasnt their fault. hence the crappy service that they now give but whatever
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

They have been giving me crap way before I ever thought of modding the car. I'm starting to think Mitsubishi is heading down an ugly path.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thcomb
They have been giving me crap way before I ever thought of modding the car. I'm starting to think Mitsubishi is heading down an ugly path.
heding down an ugly path, run a search, they have been in the dirt for awhile, but that doesnt give you a right to dig their hole a little deeper, your pretty lucky that the lancer isnt known to be a tuner car or else im sure they would have voided your warantee like they do to the evo guys that dont mod their cars and take it to the dealer when something goes wrong,
Old Sep 4, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I disagree on that issue. When Mitsubishi sold all of their loans, my interest rate went up. I called and there was nothing I could do. I personally don't care at all if some CEO somewhere loses some sleep over a serviced lancer in the middle United States. You know why? Because they won't lose any sleep. This particular dealership also made me go back 3 days after I bought the car and raised the contract up one percent. There used to be a time when a deal was a deal. Not to mention they have been harrasing me about my TO bearing forever now. It looks like with the engine not running they will finally be able to change it. I'm also one of the saps who bought the extended warranty.
Old Sep 4, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Plus there is still the fact that there is terrible service at a local shop, which I do think is the point of the rant.
Old Sep 9, 2005, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

So for anybody who was curious, I got my car back from Mitsubishi yesterday. The mechanic told me that the reason my car wouldn't get compression is because the negative terminal was unhooked from the battery. He told me that if you unhook the battery then the computer loses all of its memory and needs to be reflashed. They also didn't replace my throwout bearing because they "didn't hear anything." This dealership knows absolutely nothing about this car.
Old Sep 10, 2005, 02:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what? are they retards? so does your car run yet or what?

btw, what dealership is this? I'm in manhattan and I'll be sure to stay away from them. If you want, the dealership here in Manhattan is really great, super cool guys there. Its like, what a 45min drive from you, but it may be worth it to get some decent service. Hell, I'll even give a fellow lancer owner a ride
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

I'm back in Wichita now and it's Steven's Mitsubishi on Kellog. It doubles as a Kia lot. The car runs now, but I have a feeling I will need to change my oil and the spark plugs again because this guy was a complete idiot.
Old Sep 13, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

That dosent make any sense that they said your car would not make any compression because the negative terminal was unhooked.. Does anyone else think that dosent make any sense at all?

And i can guarantee that you dont need to reflash the ECU if the battery has been disconnected. They are obviously not telling you the truth but i cant understand why?

Sounds to me like maybe you fried your coil pack...

Last edited by impetus19; Sep 13, 2005 at 11:24 AM.