Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Planetary Gear Cover Not Going back On

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2010, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Planetary Gear Cover Not Going back On

My motive today was to do a transmission flush and replace my transmission filter... Ive been having some slipping on my transmission and my buddy who drives a Manual OZ suggested I do that to see if it reduces the slipping.

My Lancer is an Automatic 04 with about 100k miles on it.

So I gave it a shot.

Flushing the fluid was easy but the problems started when I was trying to track down the filter for replacement..Did some research to get a general idea of where the filter would be..

Took off the front pan facing the radiator thinking it would be in there, just to find that it was not the filter. (picture posted below)

So I proceeded to search for the filter and Found another cover on the side of the transmission facing the front left tire (right next to the transmission drain hole) . Took all the 12mm bolts off then had to pry open the cover. Once the cover was pried off I found out that it is housing the planetary gears or from what I believe to be and also found the filter. Once I was at this point I recognized that the tranny would have to be dropped and opened just to replace the actual transmission filter because their is no way it would come out ...(pictures posted below)

After this I tried to push the cover back on because I realized I would not be able to replace the filter, however it would not push In all the way. It feels like something is blocking it or it isn't aligned probably with the gears. The cover stays attached and spins as if it is on a spindle of some sort. I'm not sure how to describe it any better. Tried taking it out of park and putting it in neutral then pushing the box/cover back in, but still nothing. Please if you have any idea on the fix or reasoning of the issue, feel free to post. I have posted some pictures of the area I am talking about.

Keep in mind. I have decided I will be doing a tranny swap to manual but I need my car operational with the auto setup ASAP. Wanted to post here before I take it to a transmission shop.

Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited by Photool; Aug 29, 2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Bump. Anybody got anything?
Old Aug 30, 2010, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man the only stuff I could think of, not having done this before, would be stuff you've most likely already done.

Check to see if anything at all is in it's way, move it if you can.
Did anything shift when you took the cover off?
Try pushing the gears back up by hand, etc.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Update: Grrr

Wow, I cant wait to f*king get rid of this Automatic Transmission. This is driving me insane.

Anyhow lol, Had a minimum amount of time to work on it with a friend while their was sun and found out a couple things.

The plate/Cover Comes off. Inside the plate/cover are gears with teeth which dismount from the actual transmission.(Picture Below)

The teeth rotate like gears pretty much and have to all be lined up, If their not lined up it will act like a wall. Now from what I understand/ believe this is why it is not going in all the way. Now it sounds easy , Line up the teeth and push the cover back on right?...Nope, when you line up the teeth and push the cover back on the other teeth inside the gear get misaligned or move. (their are a couple row of teeth on it)

Their are also teeth/gears where the plate should go which are attached to the transmission. (picture below)

Is their a special tool to keep them from moving when placing the cover back on? Otherwise this would be a time consuming problem for any mechanic.

Their are 2 holes with screws on the cover/plates side but when taken out their is nothing in their. It almost seems as if they are services holes of some sort where a tool can be used. Went to advance Discount with the plate to see if they knew of any transmission tools, but they had no clue. Gonna try to ask Mitsubishi this week.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome transmission gods !

Last edited by Photool; Aug 30, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mci2727
Man the only stuff I could think of, not having done this before, would be stuff you've most likely already done.

Check to see if anything at all is in it's way, move it if you can.
Did anything shift when you took the cover off?
Try pushing the gears back up by hand, etc.
When taking it off , it pretty much just popped off. Had to use alot of pressure but it did just come off like it was just flush with the other gears.

The nipple part of whats attached to the gears on the transmission which spins the gears, go into a clip which is attached to the plate. It just a matter of getting the teeth to stay aligned or in the same type of groove.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Angry

Wow pictures and all steps listed and still no evom member can spot an answer .
Old Aug 31, 2010, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try twisting it from side to side while putting the cover back on?
Many rows of teeth goig on one step at a time.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Issue was corrected weeks ago (sort of ), Didn't have any internet due to moving. Will post resolution soon.

Last edited by Photool; Mar 10, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Exclamation

Things got crazy busy and I never got around to posting the actual fix. So if anyone else encounters this issue they will have somewhat of a direction. This issue gave me allot of insight on how the 4G94 Auto Transmission functions internally.

Each gear had to be manually aligned with all other gears in tandem and all teeth had to be as well. I’ll explain. On the main center gear their is engraved arrow that should assist in aligning the gears properly, it’s used as a guide. If one gear is off with timing and alignment the gear box will not be able to fully push back against the transmission where it mounts. Once the gears and teeth are all in alignment as best as possible you must push the cover in 1 gear at a time , each gear will click when properly aligned. Once first gear and teeth are aligned you must push cover in and you will hear a click. Once first gear is in you must realign the 2nd gear, once 2nd gear is aligned you must keep pushing the cover and align the 3rd gear and again..push the cover then continue to the 4 gear.... You got the idea.

You continue this redundant puzzle till all gears and teeth are in and the cover is about a 1mm from the base of the transmission where the cover mounts up to with screws. It does involve a little more complexity but based off of a visual and physical fix its extremely difficult to explain . Unfortunately the subject of our the transmission internals remain somewhat in the shadows so It took a couple hours to get it in the right spot and weeks of researching/studying the gearbox .