Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

brake pad complaints?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake pad complaints?

I ran across some complaints about AXXIS/PBR brake pads.
I am wondering if anyone else has had any of the same problems before I spend the money on them. The complaint said that there were problems with the brakes grabbing for several seconds in rainy highway driving. I would love to hear reviews ASAP so I can decide in the next day or 2 about buying them.
Thank you...
Old Aug 30, 2005, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

nope...i have had no problems with mine....and i drove my in some pretty heavy rain in fla this past weekend...had no problems...
Old Aug 30, 2005, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

No problems.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 06:35 AM

thanks for the quick replys guys. guess I will order them then.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 06:47 AM
Evolved Member

great pads never any problems except a massive amount of brake dust
Old Aug 31, 2005, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

^+1
Old Sep 1, 2005, 03:47 PM

I was thinking of ordering a set of the axxis pads myself, but I could do without the brake dust.. my 18's are hard enough to keep as it is!
Old Sep 1, 2005, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

I think you've read the only negative review of the axxis pads I've seen. And to be fair, look at the pad material that came off- is that even 1/8th inch? probably time to replace them anyway. I've had mine on for over 20K miles and they still have HUGE amounts of pad left (I know, I couldn't believe it either) and I certainly don't drive like a grandma: almost two seasons of autocross, autocross school, commuting and driving like a maniac late at night on som twisties near my house. Still lots of stopping power.

As for the dust, you pay to play. You're not going to find a performance pad that's as low or lower dust than OEM pads.

buy 'em. There are several vendors that carry them so you can get a really good price
Old Sep 17, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

hm, now that's got me thinking ... I had my AXXIS ultimates on since about mid-may, I took the car in for oil change and told them to check my pads and they said I had 60% left. That seems to me like I've used them up quite a lot in what, not even 4 months ?
I had the pads and the RRM slotted rotors installed by NTB and since I got them installed I have this bad squeel when going in reverse. I thought they just lost the springs that push the pads in or they didn't put in any Brake Quiet or whatever it's called. I do get massive amounts of brake dust (which you can really see on the polished lip).
Ah, I didn't take my car to ANY track or autox event or anything like that. Any ideas why they wore out so much ? (the slotted rotors are installed in the correct position also)
Old Sep 17, 2005, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

The Ultimates are diferent from the pads RRM was selling as Ultimates before tehy actualy got ultimates. Previously they were Posi grips or something. The higher performance the pad, the faster it will wear and the more dust it will throw. Just like race tires. They do one thing really well: grip. They don't last very long and they toss pieces of rubber on the track.

Slotted rotors will make your situation even worse because the grooves are designed to scrape away part of the pad that may have glazed or worn out.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 07:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alchemist
The Ultimates are diferent from the pads RRM was selling as Ultimates before tehy actualy got ultimates. Previously they were Posi grips or something. The higher performance the pad, the faster it will wear and the more dust it will throw. Just like race tires. They do one thing really well: grip. They don't last very long and they toss pieces of rubber on the track.

Slotted rotors will make your situation even worse because the grooves are designed to scrape away part of the pad that may have glazed or worn out.
you'd be wrong there... the posiquiets are the sever duty pad. The ultimates come in a box that does say ultimates. The posiquites are the axxis sever duty pad. RRM never sold the ultimates for a long time due to them not being available.

When they became available they started selling them. Before that you either got Porterfields or the sever duty pads(aka posiquiets).

True though... the better the purformance the more dust you have... gotta give to get.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

well, I know the box I got said AXXIS ultimate pads on it, and the pads themselves had AXXIS written on them.
Either way, I'm taking the car in to a friend tomorrow and he's gonna take a look at it and see what's up. I understand that they will wear faster than normal, but how do I get to have 60% left on them in less than 4 months with NO track/autox driving at all ?
Old Sep 17, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

I would suggest the Axxis twin Matellic, Dan at R-1 Concepts recommended them to me for less dust and better street type driving. I have yet to order them, but this sounds like the ideal break for guys with rims who want less dust.
Old Sep 17, 2005, 10:10 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

so which one has less dust? posiquiets or ultimates? I am no longer racing and need to replace my pads in a few months, so I would like to have cleaner rims. My Porterfields made tons of dust (although they worked great) so now that I don't need the high temp stopping power, I'd like to reduce that.
Old Sep 18, 2005, 10:26 AM
EvoM Guru

posiquiets do... they are the severe duty which offer better braking and longer lasting life over stock but keep dust levels low enough for the once a week wash kinda guy.

Quick Reply: brake pad complaints?